Sunday Evening Chat: Android style week 4: Android house divided

tech_head

Silver Member
Reaction score
After all this KNOX bull, you couldn't give me a new Samsung phone.
Locked bootloaders, voided warranty. Samsung can go pound sand.

Some other manufacturer will be getting my money next time.
Sandung Galaxy S4 is my first *AND* last Samdung phone.

acousticshade

Reaction score
The one area where Google has 'failed' IMHO is the lack of customizing allowed out of the box on most devices. I understand that those of us that root and customize are phone are a very small minority of the user base but this was the appeal of Android and what the whole OS was marketed as so they should deliver on this w/o making it so difficult, and yes I know most of the issues come from the manufactures and/or the carriers but it's Google's OS and they ultimately have control over how it is implemented, especially now with it being so large.

I have to agree with this. Stock android now means bare bones. At the beginning, many people liked android because it was much more customizable than IOS. Then launchers came along and upped the ante. I've been waiting for the newest version of android to include some of these functions, but it's been around 2 years since launchers came out and android has not included most of the basic launcher features.

Some reviewers have criticized LG for some aspects of its software, but I say they didn't go far enough. While the G2 is much more customizable out of the box than just about any other android phone, it still lacks a few launcher features that I like such as being able to choose my grid/icon sizes.

Until stock android starts including these features, I'm all for fragmentation. I think Samsung, LG, moto and even HTC have been adding some great features to their software & it's about time that Google stood up and took notice.

Then again, maybe that's how Google wants it. They build the frame and the oem's add the rest of the car.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I have to agree with this. Stock android now means bare bones. At the beginning, many people liked android because it was much more customizable than IOS. Then launchers came along and upped the ante. I've been waiting for the newest version of android to include some of these functions, but it's been around 2 years since launchers came out and android has not included most of the basic launcher features.

Some reviewers have criticized LG for some aspects of its software, but I say they didn't go far enough. While the G2 is much more customizable out of the box than just about any other android phone, it still lacks a few launcher features that I like such as being able to choose my grid/icon sizes.

Until stock android starts including these features, I'm all for fragmentation. I think Samsung, LG, moto and even HTC have been adding some great features to their software & it's about time that Google stood up and took notice.

Then again, maybe that's how Google wants it. They build the frame and the oem's add the rest of the car.

I feel like Kit kat has addressed the issue of launchers (well at least for the n5 but it is not hard to get the kk launcher ) as it is a step forward in the right direction so much so I prefer it over nova launcher (as of now). With that said we all have different tastes. For some that TW (manufacturer skin) adds that color and pop that makes it more vibrant and stands out to the eye while others that looks is more a distraction (or kiddish). Be interesting to see how the manufacturers build upon kit kat.