Sunday Evening Chat: Android style week 4: Android house divided

Discussion in 'Android News' started by pc747, Dec 8, 2013.

1. pc747

pc747 Administrator
    Staff Member Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +5,813
    [​IMG]

Since the OG Droid I have watched both Motorola and Android go through a series of changes. Motorola went from the fan favorite to outcast back to being the rooted underdog once again; and it is safe to say Dennis Woodside (CEO of Motorola) is doing and saying the right things in order to win back the hearts of Android fans. Samsung on the other hand have given fans an Android phone that specs and feature wise is arguably the best among Android devices. They did a good job early catering to fans and building up hype as the premiere Android phone that can go toe to toe with the iPhone. We now go into 2014 with Samsung leading the charge with innovation as far as wearable tech, higher end specs, and changing the concept of what a smart phone should look like; meanwhile, Motorola is going back to the basics of improving software (with Google) and providing users with options.

Will Motorola rise to become the face of Android or will Samsung continue to be what fans think about when they think android?

Nexus TV: What will it take to get you to buy a Nexus Tv?

open topic:

2. justin82

justin82 Super Moderator
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +216
    I would like to think moto is making a small comeback .. but with phones like s4 note 3 etc I don't see moto becoming the face of android..

3. creaky

creaky Active Member

Ratings:
    +31
    I'm rooting for Moto. Their build quality and radios are superior. If they could release a flagship - even better the Nexus 6 - with specs on par with the projected S5, it would be a slam dunk, IMO.

4. johnomaz

johnomaz Silver Member

Ratings:
    +756
    Current Phone Model:
    Google Pixel XL
    Samsung is becoming more like the Apple of the Android world. They are creating an ecosystem for their products. That isn't really a bad thing though because so far, their devices aren't so locked down (can still be rooted/unlocked) and you still have a more open app system than iOS does, but they are making their products to work with each other and not so much other companies devices. Same with TouchWiz. Its getting better. I actually like it. I haven't installed any of my paid version launcher replacements. Moto is going away from UI changes and is using stock Android and I see it now as minimal. I have a Nexus 7 with 4.4 and the Google Experience Launcher and like it, but I can see that Samsung's interface is more feature rich. I really can't say which way I'd rather go though. Sometimes its better to have minimal, other times to have all the features. I do like Moto's direction and when my Note 3 is paid off, I may find myself buying a MotoX or MotoG (or whatever is out at the time from Moto).

• Like Like x 2
  5. NOVICE

NOVICE Active Member

Ratings:
    +32
    I am solidly a Galaxy Note fan. I will for the foreseeable future purchase the newest iteration immediately upon release.

That being said, I want better radios. I have concluded that superior reception on other manufacturer's devices (some--not all) is not an urban legend.

6. NOVICE

NOVICE Active Member

Ratings:
    +32
    One additional comment: I've done pure vanilla Android. The fondness some people have is more ideological than practical. For my purposes TouchWiz is better.

7. pc747

pc747 Administrator

Ratings:
    +5,813

I think the issue, at least for me, is the all or nothing approach. I personally would prefer like a google experience device note 2 (3 or other device) and be able to install the features I want. When I first bought my n2 I was fascinated with all the features but then over time I found that I really only want to use a few. I personally prefer my n2 running kit kat Aosp with write or papyrus app and cm spen app as I do not use or need the smart features. To me android is making the phone my own. Now I know android has evolved beyond that over the years as the reality pure vanilla (do it yourself) does not appeal to every one. Based on how popular Samsung galaxy devices are some people feel like features and add ons add to the feature (high end) feel. I understand that and understand that manufacturers are in it to make a profit. I am liking the approach motorola is taking in the "make it your own" idea and based on the interview by the ceo with MKHB it sounds like motorola is looking to expand on that in the future. The market place is big enough for both but I am intrigued by making the phone my own. With that said, since owning the note 2 I do not see myself wanting to go back to a traditional phone. I use my note 2 (particularly the note taking feature) for every thing and like the ability of pulling out my phone to jot down a note.

• Like Like x 2
  8. mountainbikermark

mountainbikermark Super Moderator
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,348
    Nova Launcher on my Note2 = nearly nirvana for my uses
    The next step I see Samsung going is their own OS to try to go head to head with Apple directly instead of via Android.

Support Our Troops!!!
    <><
    s pen aholic in Beast Mode (Notetoo)

9. pc747

pc747 Administrator

Ratings:
    +5,813

try kit kat launcher with "ok google".

• Like Like x 1
  10. acousticshade

acousticshade Active Member

Ratings:
    +36
    I think both moto and Samsung should be around for awhile & LG is right up there with them. LG is really pushing the boundaries with their G flex & if moto gets this phoneblock concept right, it will be interesting to see what happens.

11. johnomaz

johnomaz Silver Member

Ratings:
    +756
    Current Phone Model:
    Google Pixel XL
    I use it on my nexus 7 and I have to say, I find myself using 'ok google' a ton. It was always there, but to just be holding the tablet, and speak into it makes things so easy and convenient. I however only do it at home so I don't look weird in public talking to no one =D. I wouldn't mind a global 'ok google' on my Note 3.

12. KZIWarrior

KZIWarrior Silver Member

Ratings:
    +2
    These two posts hit on the real point of Android (at least as it was first/initially promoted): the ability to customize YOUR experience. Personally I hate the overlaid UIs and like a stock or AOSP ROM with a custom launcher (currently NOVA but I've used several) and a few personalized widgets but others, like my girlfriend like the simplicity of some of the UIs. That said I have ALWAYS rooted my device and rarely ever run a 'stock' ROM for more than a week because of this.

The one area where Google has 'failed' IMHO is the lack of customizing allowed out of the box on most devices. I understand that those of us that root and customize are phone are a very small minority of the user base but this was the appeal of Android and what the whole OS was marketed as so they should deliver on this w/o making it so difficult, and yes I know most of the issues come from the manufactures and/or the carriers but it's Google's OS and they ultimately have control over how it is implemented, especially now with it being so large.

• Like Like x 1