Sunday Evening Chat: 2014 week 1

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Michael-Bay-CES-Samsung-UHD-TV-635-telegraph.jpg

Took a long vacation but now time to get back to work.

1) What stood out most to you with CES 2014 and what trend worries you as far as tech

2) Revisiting the google play edition devices: As a nexus fan I have been researching endlessly on what to make of google play devices. I like the fact that they are vanilla but when development on the devices looked slow it begin to make me question the worth. Personally one of the main reasons I look to gpe devices is because I want a nexus like device with a better camera but I also want the same abilities to root and receive updates just like with Nexus devices. So upon reading this article (PSA: Bootloader Unlocking On Google Play Edition Devices Shows Each One To Have Its Own Nuances And Pitfalls) it made me question the worth of gpe devices.

3) We are about midway through the first month of the new year and companies are back in full swing; what new model device are you most looking forward to seeing in 2014 (ie S5, Note 4, LG G3 etc).

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
1) CES I liked seeing the merging of auto and tech though I am concerned that this just adds more distraction to already distracted drivers. Last thing we need is someone smoking, texting, while trying to download apps on their car stereo.

2) I really feel like manufacturers killed what could have been of gpe devices. The people who the devices would appeal (like myself) are seeing more development for the stock oem device vs gpe so for me personally I no longer see the value of gpe devices as far as I am concerned.

3) Note 4, Motorola X2, and 2014 Nexus devices.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Auto tech, and the w50-w60 release from westone..

And I'm currently not eyeing any devices..

MAXXED OUT!!!!!

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
GPE devices are still managed by the manufacturer so updates come when the manufacturer releases the, not Google. But they are still pure google and with the way updates have been, its not life changing to get an update later than nexus devices. There are a lot of better hardware devices than what the Nexus phones offer and that is what would get me to buy one. That being said, I see no reason why it takes so long to get updates other than they don't want GPE devices to get updates so much sooner than their normal devices.

For me, its the Note 4 and Moto X2. I love my Note 3 and the MotoX has definitely caught my eye.