Suggestions for Intellectually handicapped & disabled persons phone app

studio208

Reaction score
Hi all, after months of getting nowhere, I thought my question may be worth asking here if anyone can help. For many intellectually handicapped, less is best. Although the able minded seek all the bells & whistles, for many handicapped they are unable to use a phone at all. To have the ability to lock off virtually everything on the phone apart from a handful of touch images to call for help, nothing else is necessary. Anything more than this becomes to complicated for many disabled users. On re-boot, wake, power on, the screen would need to re-set to the same set of icons / images to call for help. I've tried every child lock, face dialer and such but am still unable to find a suitable workaround. Many thousands world wide could benefit from something so simple, at yet they are left behind in the race for more. Any suggestions would be welcomed.

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
To be honest, and I say this as kindly as possible, they don't need an Android phone. I'm not sure why anyone would create an app to disable features completely.

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Tapatalk 2

OP
S

studio208

Reaction score
To be honest, and I say this as kindly as possible, they don't need an Android phone. I'm not sure why anyone would create an app to disable features completely.

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Tapatalk 2

Thanks for the reply,
"they don't need an Android phone" What phone would you suggest then? Bearing in mind many can only associate images as a contact and have limited motor skills.

"I'm not sure why anyone would create an app to disable features completely." So countless thousand that can't use the abundance of technology could actually use a phone when they need help. Features actually need to be accessible but locked off so necessary features can be enabled by the carer.

7annos

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply,
"they don't need an Android phone" What phone would you suggest then? Bearing in mind many can only associate images as a contact and have limited motor skills.

"I'm not sure why anyone would create an app to disable features completely." So countless thousand that can't use the abundance of technology could actually use a phone when they need help. Features actually need to be accessible but locked off so necessary features can be enabled by the carer.

Just spotted this thread, I am after exactly the same thing, my daughter has down syndrome and is capable of using an ipad but longs to have a smart phone of her own just like her three other sisters and can sit on the lounge touch away! I am looking at a modified android op. system so she only has icons to touch for family members numbers she can then call and also using the internet on her phone restricted to only our home network to save killing her credit. She cannot read but identifies letters, numbers and successfully copies dvd titles into utube search to access movie clips etc , she amazes us with her ability with technology . Not looking for a basic phone with large numbers but a android smart phone with some changes made so she can use it like the rest of the population (in her limited way)
Anyone have any ideas?