Suggestion for apk going forward?

Discussion in 'Team Chaos' started by n0m0n, Jun 3, 2010.

1. n0m0n

n0m0n Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Suggestion for rom's/apk going forward?

Suggestion?
    Going forward would it not be a good idea to add a file manager (I use file manager) in the rom's?
    I say this because when a person installs or re-flash's a rom its pretty hard to get a backup app or any app's installed in a timely fashion.

I know that you can and do go into market but I don't know if its me or what but it takes hours to get a few app's installed these days.

I remember when I could go into market and within minutes Id be able to download or re-download my app's.
    I don't know maybe its my device (???) or maybe the android world has grown past its capacities?

I have tried AutoKiller and set it to aggressive but its not that much better if any.
    I am back on v1.3, I tried to installing the stock 2.1 root rom thinking that it would give me the least amount of issues since its the OEM version with the root option, but it ran REALLY REALLY hot, so I returned to Chaos because I had the least amount of issues.

And here I sit taking 2-3 minutes tying to install my app's file by file!

Very frustrating very!
    Beginning to think the root way isn't worth it to me but I'm still trying

Thanks

2. Aixelsyd

Aixelsyd Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Personally I don't see the need for what you are asking. However I can understand the gripe if it is taking that long to get your device setup which doens't sound right to begin with mind you. That said a few suggestions for ya tho as I have noticed in the past it takes a littel longer to get things rolling right after flashing a different ROM but not near as bad as what you are reporting. I've got my system down to wipe,re-flash, and have everyhting installed and setup to my likings in about 30 mins. And in reality it boils down to 3 things to get it done that quick after the flashing part is done, but you will need 2 apps to do it, both of which should install/sync to the device right after you flash and let Google sync with the device after singing in. Oh and both apps are free

Two apps you'll want are any file manager ( Astro is what I use), and the other would be Titanium backup. Obviosuly before changing ROMS you will want to backup using each of these programs so you have everything on your current setup stored on the SDCARD just to be safe.

Once you have that done and do a flash login to Google and allow it to do its sync. DO NOT try to do or install anything else while it does that. Once you see the syncing is done reboot the phone. After which time you should then have which ever file manager and Titanium backup installed. From there go into Titanium and do a restore. When that finishes up reboot and you should be good to go.

3. n0m0n

n0m0n Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Well I would like to have a file manager and Titanium or Mybackup in the system | App's folder within the rom.
    Once you log into the market you have 1 shot to get all your "free" app's and well "I" have been having major delay issues with market place.

I did try to install my Titanium backup and it must be corrupt or something because it doesn't restore yet it says the app's are there and listed right.

Thanks

4. n0m0n

n0m0n Member

Ratings:
    +0
    This is nutz I just did a full wipe I mean I the old fashion way by update.zip.
    I first wiped (factor and cache) 3 times before installing the update.zip file and some of my app's are back installed.

What is goig on????????

5. jayman350

jayman350 Member

Ratings:
    +18
    I have noticed that the market will download some apps automatically and not do anything with others. Have you tried flashing busybox from titanium backup? I know that will fix some issues with restoring and backing up apps. I use the donation version of titanium so I'm not really sure if that's available on the free version

6. n0m0n

n0m0n Member

Ratings:
    +0
    that was the first thing I wondered but I hadn't gone into market to accept the agreement that it makes you agree to the first time you enter.

I can try to flash the busybox but I think its 1.6.1 which is the newest.
    I think but its worth a shot.

7. Koveleski

Koveleski Premium Member
    Premium Member Developer

Ratings:
    +1
    When you completely wipe your phone clean and install a new rom, the first start up shows you the phone tutorial. Once you skip past that, it then asks if you have a google account. IF you sign into your account at this point and don't go into market, it will automatically download your apps for you. If you do into market prior to seeing the notification that apps have been downloaded, I believe it cancels the process.

8. carlz28

carlz28 Premium Member
    Theme Developer Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1
    This has been my experience as well. If you go into market while its updating, it'll stop doing the 'automatic thing'

9. n0m0n

n0m0n Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I knew that but seem to have forgotten this feature.
    Thanks for reminding me.
    I am now restoring after re-flashing the rom, and will see what it installs.
    I think since I restored via MyBackup or Titanium so many times I just forgot, about the auto restore.

Or was it that even though I deleted a few app's the auto restore restored them, but its a lot easier to remove the few than sit here and reinstall a lot!!!

Thanks alot

10. n0m0n

n0m0n Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Posted this already but what do you think?
    It seems like the Google restore has installed "some" of my app's .
    My question is will it restart and continue to install the rest or more?
    Is there a way to get one of my file managers into the device system without having to go into market before I know if the restore is complete or now?

My market experience has been VERY VERY poor lately.
    Thanks

11. Koveleski

Koveleski Premium Member
    Premium Member Developer

Ratings:
    +1
    If the notification bar lit up with a notification that said like "20 applications restored" or however it labels it, then that's all you are gonna get from the automated process. I'm not sure how often google refreshes your list of apps, but constantly flashing your phone might at some point cause an incomplete list to be 'updated' to their server.

Download Astro from the Market. It has a 'backup' tool that literally just makes a second copy of the .apks (you have installed) onto your sdcard. That way you'll always have the apps ready to be installed from your card on a moments notice, should your phone take a **** and google doesn't restore properly.

It won't help you at this point, but moving forward should provide a solid solution.

12. n0m0n

n0m0n Member

Ratings:
    +0

OK thanks
    I just waited 45 seconds between install which goes to a blank screen for 45 seconds the next screen is the ok screen, thats a long time isn't it?

Thanks

EDIT: Oh and I'm on wifi at this moment.
    EDIT: I am also seeing that app's that have downloaded and are installed are still showing in the market as still being downloaded and or installed.
    Yet they are in the dock and working...

Does this help with what is going on or what I need to do?