1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Suggest Some Post-Root Alterations

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by rod, Feb 9, 2010.

1. rod

rod New Member

ok, im in desperate need of suggestions of what i can do to my droid now that ive rooted it. im like an addict. ive got my first fix of manipulating this bad boy and i want more! so, ive compiled a tiny list of what ive done to my rooted droid, basically beginner stuff. i was hoping some of you would enlighten me as to what else i should do. what have yall done? whats the purpose? was it easy? throw out the suggestions, here are mine, for those just starting out with the rooting process:
    1) install bugless beast - super easy using the following thread found here on droidforums.net
    ( http://www.droidforums.net/forum/hacking-help/19818-how-install-bugless-beast-noobs.html )

2) overclocked to 950Mhz using SetCPU, also use profiles to prolong battery life - i found it extremely easy to do this. at first, i had some issues with 950 and dropped it to 800. but after a few days, im back to 950 with no issues
    ( SetCPU for Root Users v1.4.5 Application for Android | Tools ) ( also found at the very end of the first post of the "bugless beast for noobs" thread)

3) used "spare parts" to speed up windows animations and transition animations - makes the screen transitions and all super-fast. i used to experience a slight stall when changing windows. but now, even with widgets on each of my three pages, its smooth as silk. highly suggested
    ( Spare Parts vdonut Application for Android | Tools )

4) tether - i have gone thru the steps of tethering my droid, but have yet to test it. i really dont have a use for it. but from what ive read, it is highly recommended for those who may find a use for it. i wont suggest any app or steps for this item, because ive yet to test it. will someone who has please suggest a good how-to and app? thanks.
    on a side note, i still use home++. i love the power strip at the bottom, and really hope someone can come up with a way to install the power strip only. using bugless beast with home++ doesnt cause many force closes for me (perhaps two in the six days since ive rooted), so ill recommend that one too, but i wont include it on the list, since you can do it without rooting

so, chime in. what did yall do? what tips and tricks do yall suggest? from what i sense, a rooted droid is a powerful things. i cant wait to see what else this thing is capable of. thanks for reading/sharing
  2. natediddy1120

natediddy1120 New Member

Well, honestly, what you listed is about the main things you can do with a rooted Droid. Unless you get into some developers code and things of that nature....devs have a "dev" phone to assist with developing apps for the Android platform, and basically all a dev phone is, is a rooted phone. Because you need the root access and permissions to access the things necessary to build against the platform...so maybe you could get into developing or something...its really interesting. I took a free class today on the Android platform and developing apps, over a live webcam with an Android developer! It was actually really cool and I plan on doing it next week as well
  3. Backnblack

Backnblack Premium Member Premium Member

4. shademar

shademar New Member

AdFree. :D
  5. rod

rod New Member

i forgot about adfree. i did pop that one on there too early on. thanks!

i will look into the development aspect. i actually have some friends who are heavily into development. ive been talking with them about a serious idea i have for an application, but theyve moved virtually no where in the two months weve been talking. moving on by myself wouldnt be a bad idea. ill look into it, natediddy. thanks!

backinblack... installing now! thanks!
  6. Greaser

Greaser New Member

I personally love Root Explorer, it does cost like $2.00, but it's well spent (imho)
    Terminal Emulator, and Battery Life Widget (tells you your batt temp as well as % life left)
    I also have Home++, mainly because of the Power Bar, it allows you to have all the staples of the phone, without taking up space.