Suggest a rom!

Discussion in 'Droid Charge Development' started by Talty09, Sep 7, 2011.

1. Talty09

Talty09 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Okay I know there are probably 100 threads out there with opinions for Roms and processes. But can somebody tell me what is the best rom? As far as stability, features, speed (voodoo lag fix or similar is a must), and look. I know I can install different widgets/themes/icons/fonts. But help me out? Literally JUST upgraded from Droid1. I am really digging this look with the icons that say "Phone" "Text" and so on:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_Nf2JQKV2t1I/TGVwkzl77vI/AAAAAAAAACs/Qt_vJe3i_pI/s640/2e21jpc.jpg

2. Halo

Halo Member

Ratings:
    +0
    There is no such thing as a "best" ROM. It all comes down to personal preference and what YOU want in a ROM. Try them all, see which one you like best. I personally prefer GummCharged 2.0 FE. I've also tried Humble and Eclipse.

3. OneTenderRebel

OneTenderRebel Silver Member

Ratings:
    +63
    I suggest CD Rom. Although who burns CD's anymore?

4. Talty09

Talty09 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Halo. I see you like the gummycharged rom. What are the benefits of this rom over the others? As I said speed and stability are great for me. I came from droid 1 with cyanogen and didnt mind it. My must haves would be launcher pro and lag fix included (or added after).

5. Halo

Halo Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I too came from the D1. I ran Simply Stunning, Bugless Beast and CM7.

I like the amount of support that GummyCharged has, the different themes, the overall look and attention to detail that this ROM has. I use Launcher Pro and have the lag fix enabled. However, it's the kernel that deals with lag fix, not the ROM.

6. Talty09

Talty09 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    So I should just install the gummycharged rom according to the root/rom Odin guide in the forum post thats floating around...then install the kernel?

7. Halo

Halo Member

Ratings:
    +0
    If you install the GummyCharged 2.0 ODIN file, it already has the kernel w/ lagfix enabled built into it.

8. Talty09

Talty09 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    One final question. Anyway you can point me to the article on how to install gummycharged with odin?

9. Halo

Halo Member

Ratings:
    +0
    [HOW TO] "Clean" install GummyCharged FE 2.0

I'm assuming you're completely stock at the moment? If so, here's a super-simplified process of what you'll do:

Before hand: You'll want to put the GummyCharged 2.0 .zip file onto your SD Card

1) Install CWM w/ ODIN. After the install is done, do NOT let the phone reboot. You'll want to boot into recovery.
    2) In the CWM menu you'll want to select "Install .zip from SD Card" > Choose .zip from SD card
    3) Pick the GummyCharged 2.0 .zip file and install.
    4) Reboot phone and enjoy.

10. jwhitford88

jwhitford88 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hey everyone,

I'm usually just a lurker, but as I have the same story as most of you here, I thought I'd chime in.

Bought OG Droid on its release and loved that phone to death. Literally. Got the charge early July, and have tried the following roms (followed by my impressions of them):

HumbleCharged (v 1.4 I think): Decent rom, nothing extremely customized at the time, but it was slightly faster than stock.

GummyCharged (v 2.0): I really like this rom! Much more customization than Humble. My favorite customization was the TSM parts which included more lockscreens. Having a 4-tabbed lockscreen (unlock, silence, direct-to-phone, and custom) was a godsend for me, as I really appreciate iOS 5 having camera access directly from lockscreen. pop the camera on the lockscreen and all of a sudden I don't miss the dedicated button anymore! After a few days I did start having random restarts (especially with navigation/pandora simultaneous), as well as a fairly terrible signal consistency. I live in Gainesville FL which has 4g coverage, yet I could only hold 4g when outside. Constantly bouncing from 4g/3g/1x/having 4g yet no connection... not good enough, I kept looking.

Currently on EP1W GB leak, and I love it so far! the new modem has seemed to do wonders with my 4g signal. I can get steady 4g in buildings, even in offices where I had a hard time getting signal with my old phone. However, the rumors about the new modem are true, and the improved data comes at the cost of reduced voice quality. I'm asking people to repeat themselves a lot more with the new modem, as they sometimes sound very muffled/scratchy. Currently I'm so happy with the data that it's a sacrifice I'll work with! Additionally with the V6 supercharge script running in the background, I have had 0 homescreen redraws! I never achieved this on the D1, and am so happy with android now. I just gave it a good test with a 5 mile run using CardioTrainer and Pandora streaming constantly, along with Juice Defender running in the background. I finished the run and was able to go straight to homescreen with no lag... excellent!

I haven't tried the V6 script on any other roms yet (just discovered it today), so you may want to experiment some. But with some of the GB benefits, I'm going to stay on this set up for a while!

Hope it helps

11. Halo

Halo Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Good write-up JW. Thanks for your input.

12. Talty09

Talty09 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yes! That is exactly what I was looking for. Anyway you can point me in the right direction on where/how to install the EP1W build and how to get that V6 script?

13. Talty09

Talty09 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Also, I just noticed that the EP1W build has not only the rom, but they have the modems. I didn't know anything about modems since I did not need to install these on the Droid1. Help?

14. Halo

Halo Member

Ratings:
    +0
  15. Talty09

Talty09 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Alright. I installed the 2.3.4 rom with a guide. I have one final question. I successfully installed the ROM via odin and it rebooted and worked the first time. Now I want to install the scripts. First off I cannot find a busybox 1.18.2 version that everyone says i need. the newest version in the app market is 1.19 or something greater (some said issues with this). Also, I did not install CWM as the guide i found said i may not need it? Can I install CWM with odin after I just finished installing this ROM? Or should I not do this? A little confusion here. I could use a push in the right direction.

Search tags for this page

tweaked rom droid charge