Suddenly the Word "Bricked" is Being Seen In This Forum

gentlefury

Reaction score
Part of the problem is that people are misusing the word "bricked" ("You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means"). A phone is "bricked" when no recovery is possible, you can't restore it at all. If you can get to the bootloader or recovery console, the phone isn't bricked, it's just slightly broken.. :)

yes, most people are bricking when they make serious modifications without installing sprecovery and making a nandroid backup... but 90% of "bricks" are actually just "f-ups" and can be fixed easily with minor experience

Exactly! When I installed the 1.1Ghz img on my phone it was "bricked" it would go to the moto screen and go black and go back to the moto screen infinately. If I held X on the keyboard it did nothing.

I pulled the battery and held X and power a couple times and after a few tries it went to recovery. Applied my last nandroid backup and all was back to normal.

Most people would have freaked and posted:

"I BRICKED MY DROID!!!"

If you are going to mess with your $500 device, HAVE SOME PATIENTS!!

gentlefury

Reaction score
Will Asurion cover any bricked phone or damaged due to overclocking ?

if you're worried about being denied, just tell them you lost the phone, and voila, you will get a new one (with a deductable)

Yeah why does that concept keep coming up????

DO NOT SAY YOU LOST IT!!! That is insurance fraud and it is illegal! Simple say it stopped working.

There is actually nothing in the insurance contract that talks about modifying your phones software. It covers accidental damage. Well if you screw it up that sounds like an accident to me!

If your phone doesn't work they will hand it to a tech. That tech will plug it into a computer and try to do a factory reset. If that doesn't work they will give you a new one, they will send it back it will be plugged into another computer to do a full system flash. If that doesn't work the body will be ripped apart and it will be used for parts.

You will be given a refurbished phone anyway! Meaning one that someone else screwed up and they factory reset it!

Noone is going to take the time to inspect the phone for tampering of any kind! Hell insurance covers water damage now! If you are really worried and can still power up, drop it in the toilet, pull it out and start it up..that will ensure it gets fried! (kidding on that last part.....kinda)

natediddy1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
Rooting is actually the simple part...you download the file, put it on your sdcard, boot into recovery, and install. That's it. But theres SO many people that do this because they think its the cool thing to do, and literally, to the common user, there is absolutely nothing different about the phone after they root it. Theres nothing visibly different at all. Then they realize that in order to accomplish anything or modify anything on their device, that they have to get in deep to the phones most delicate and fragile files and folders. And this is where problems arise. They believe everything will be as easy as rooting was, and then whenever they attempt to install ROMs, or modify the framework.....then all of a sudden we see "Bricked!" all over the forums...."what did I do wrong?" whenever they don't even know what they did to their phone in the first place!

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score

DO NOT SAY YOU LOST IT!!! That is insurance fraud and it is illegal! Simple say it stopped working.

There is actually nothing in the insurance contract that talks about modifying your phones software. It covers accidental damage. Well if you screw it up that sounds like an accident to me!

If your phone doesn't work they will hand it to a tech. That tech will plug it into a computer and try to do a factory reset. If that doesn't work they will give you a new one, they will send it back it will be plugged into another computer to do a full system flash. If that doesn't work the body will be ripped apart and it will be used for parts.

You will be given a refurbished phone anyway! Meaning one that someone else screwed up and they factory reset it!

Noone is going to take the time to inspect the phone for tampering of any kind! Hell insurance covers water damage now! If you are really worried and can still power up, drop it in the toilet, pull it out and start it up..that will ensure it gets fried! (kidding on that last part.....kinda)

purposely drowning your phone is insurance fraud also :icon_ devil:

wil318466

Reaction score
Hook, I agree with you 100%. I rooted. Easy enough. No worries. But then I started looking at Smoked Glass and BB, and I was taken aback a bit. Directions that I don't completely understand worry me.
At work, if I find myself in that situation I can call tech support and get walked through it in real time. So for the time being, I'm good with my phone as-is.

dude.. smoked glass rocks. I'm running the blue. Just needed to throw that in there. :)

If you can root and you made a nadroid backup, then smoked glass installation is literally cake. And when you see your phone with 2.1 and everything is shiny black with blue highlights, and running at 800 MHz... well, trust me when I tell you, you get giddy.

-Wil

gentlefury

Reaction score

purposely drowning your phone is insurance fraud also :icon_ devil:

yeah thats why i said i was kidding about that part ;)

OP
hookbill

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Guys, can we stay on topic. I have no desire to see this turn into a how to root your droid page. Those are popping up everywhere. We're talking about making sure that if you do root that you understand what you are doing. Just don't jump into it and worry about it as you go along.

Again I have nothing against anybody rooting their phone. That's entirely up to you.