Suddenly the Word "Bricked" is Being Seen In This Forum

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
When I first joined this forum the word "bricked" wasn't even part of the Droid vocabulary. Even after rooting came out it was only mentioned as a caustion.

I'm not advising anybody not to root their phone, overclock it or not to do whatever you want with your phone. I would however tell you that I sure am seeing a heck a lot more of the the work "Bricked" in thread titles and on the ones I do read they certainly do appear bricked to me.

I would probably say to those who are thinking about rooting their phone that at the beginning of the talk about rooting it was recommended that only people with advanced knowledge attempt it. Now I see threads that say "Rooting for the Noob" and I check that out and there are 50 steps involved. That to me is a lot of chances for something to go wrong.

If you're going to root your phone make sure you read everything before hand and that you understand what you are reading. If you don't then it may be in your best interest just to stay away from it.

Getting off my pedestal now. Feel free to comment.

huskur

Reaction score
When I first joined this forum the word "bricked" wasn't even part of the Droid vocabulary. Even after rooting came out it was only mentioned as a caustion.

I'm not advising anybody not to root their phone, overclock it or not to do whatever you want with your phone. I would however tell you that I sure am seeing a heck a lot more of the the work "Bricked" in thread titles and on the ones I do read they certainly do appear bricked to me.

I would probably say to those who are thinking about rooting their phone that at the beginning of the talk about rooting it was recommended that only people with advanced knowledge attempt it. Now I see threads that say "Rooting for the Noob" and I check that out and there are 50 steps involved. That to me is a lot of chances for something to go wrong.

If you're going to root your phone make sure you read everything before hand and that you understand what you are reading. If you don't then it may be in your best interest just to stay away from it.

Getting off my pedestal now. Feel free to comment.

True.....only root if you are comfortable doing so. I just hope there are not tons of calls to technical support and returns to VZW. I think if it was to get out of hand the "freedom" that is allowed will be no more.

It's just like a PC. If you feel comfortble with it do what you like. I did not root for the longest time in fear that i would disable my phone. After i became comfortable with it and understood the instructions it was a piece of cake, of course i learn on the fly and am able to pick up things quickly. If you are not one of those kind of people i recommend not rooting at all.

To sum it all up.....don't root just to root....only root if you will benefit from doing so

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Agreed! I've got some knowledge beyond that of most "everyday" people, but haven't decided to root yet, because all of the things I read about being done don't interest me.

Do I think I could do it properly with no problem? Absolutely.

But as stated above, it's not worth the hassle if you're unsure, or if there's not a GOOD reason for you to do it!

OP
hookbill

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Agreed! I've got some knowledge beyond that of most "everyday" people, but haven't decided to root yet, because all of the things I read about being done don't interest me.

Do I think I could do it properly with no problem? Absolutely.

But as stated above, it's not worth the hassle if you're unsure, or if there's not a GOOD reason for you to do it!

I honestly think I can do it but the part that bothers me is as I'm reading down on the instructions I stop understanding things. Now I'm 99.9% if I actually proceed to do it when I get to these areas I will understand but I just can't justify taking the risk on something that I don't see needs a great deal of improvement on anyway. So I'll just be patient, and I hope others think about it before they embark on trying to do it.

STIDRIVER

Reaction score
Yeah, no rooting or overclocking for me... I learned that lesson the hard way after frying 2 hard drives on my PC trying to overclock. Hard drives are cheap though, buying a new Droid would not be... Just me though...

acturbo

Reaction score
I agree with you guys, I tend to think rooting and installing ROMs is pretty easy but I do have mild experience with such things and what is considered easy to some many be hard for others. I don't think there are that many people bricking phones, I think its more people don't know how to recover from a problem or don't know what the word itself means. I also see people rooting just to root, why do it if you dont even know what to do with after its done? I see statements like: "okay now Im rooted, what can I do now". Do research first people, make sure 1. That you are comfortable with it and 2. That you will somehow benefit from being rooted.

jimnutt

Reaction score
Part of the problem is that people are misusing the word "bricked" ("You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means"). A phone is "bricked" when no recovery is possible, you can't restore it at all. If you can get to the bootloader or recovery console, the phone isn't bricked, it's just slightly broken.. :)

schertz7

Reaction score
It's all about natural selection, if you play with and you don't
know how to handle it , you will get burnt. I spend several hours researching
Every step I want to take with my rooted phone. Not doing so is like asking
To brick your phone.

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
Part of the problem is that people are misusing the word "bricked" ("You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means"). A phone is "bricked" when no recovery is possible, you can't restore it at all. If you can get to the bootloader or recovery console, the phone isn't bricked, it's just slightly broken.. :)

yes, most people are bricking when they make serious modifications without installing sprecovery and making a nandroid backup... but 90% of "bricks" are actually just "f-ups" and can be fixed easily with minor experience

Sam

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
rooted mine without problem, but it's obvious that it doesn't always go that well.. i agree with hook on this one, do your homework first and save yourself the regret (and frustration, and time lost, and $90 insurance if you have it, etc.)

TimChgo9

Reaction score
I've read some of the threads on rooting.

I also have more knowledge than the average person about technical things. I haven't rooted because I feel that my Droid is fine the way it is. I can't see any possible benefit to me at this time, to rooting my device.

I am 95% sure that I could read the instructions, and follow them, and have no problems with rooting, it's just not for me.

I think many people want to root, because they want 2.1 on their device.

mth04

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I also recommend not rooting if you aren't sure. I haven't rooted either. I know some that have. Overall the things that can be done may not be better for me.

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
the newer 2.0.1 ROMs are actually quite amazing if you check out the new features... not that i'm advocating rooting, but if you check it out, it could get tempting :)

JhankG

Silver Member
Reaction score
The problem is that most people's phones aren't actually bricked. If you decide to root, you should know how important it is to use SPRecovery and have a Nandroid backup. If you go through the proper steps, it should be pretty damn hard to actually brick the phone.