Solved suddenly black screen S4

sgtstew

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S4
This evening, after turning off my S4, then attempting to restart, my screen was totally black. Nothing I did would turn on the phone. I thought the battery might have been the problem, so I swapped batteries with another S4; no change. Attached the phone to a standard charger, with no change in results. Screen constantly cycles a display of a gray battery for about ten seconds and then disappears for 6-7 seconds, then the battery re-appears.. After the battery view disappears, the phone has a vibrating "beep". The white circle in the center of the battery is stationary; no rotations. No keystrokes affect the results. After 45 minutes of attempting to charge, there is no change in status. Any suggestions.

EyeOWA

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Mine did the same thing. Just died. Happened in July. Got a Note 4. About 2 weeks ago, charged it and it actually turned on! Well, for about a day anyways. Now it is back to the black screen. It shows the battery charging sign and the Samsung boot logo. That is all I get from it.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Leave the battery out for about ten minutes. Put it back in and see if it powers up.

S5 tap'n

OP
S

sgtstew

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S4
Leave the battery out for about ten minutes. Put it back in and see if it powers up.

S5 tap'n
Removed battery for at least thirty minutes; no change in noted operation.

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
Sounds like you're ready for a new phone..

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
It's a long shot, but have you tried to see if you can boot it into Recovery mode? Or have you tried hooking it up to a PC?

If it's not booting up, Jeffrey's probably right, but you might as well try everything in the book before shopping for a new phone.

Reactions: cr6
OP
S

sgtstew

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S4
It's a long shot, but have you tried to see if you can boot it into Recovery mode? Or have you tried hooking it up to a PC?

If it's not booting up, Jeffrey's probably right, but you might as well try everything in the book before shopping for a new phone.
Thanks.... I did try to connect to my laptop, and had no results other than what has previously been described. It did not show up as being connected to the laptop; not recognized at all. It's apparent that a new phone is needed.
I bought this current S4 through Swappa, who passed the transaction on to a supplier, "Mytecell LLC".
I have begun e-mail communications with Mytecell. They have what looks to be a satisfactory warranty program.

OP
S

sgtstew

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S4
Mytecell came through with flying colors. The same day I sent them the problem description, they had a replacement in the mail. Also, in their email response, they included USPS post-paid mailing information. The replacement arrived in just a day or so, almost before I could get the dead one mailed. I gave them a 5-star review, and to Swappa for their part in the resolution. Thanks for all of the forum communications that led up to success.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Mytecell came through with flying colors. The same day I sent them the problem description, they had a replacement in the mail. Also, in their email response, they included USPS post-paid mailing information. The replacement arrived in just a day or so, almost before I could get the dead one mailed. I gave them a 5-star review, and to Swappa for their part in the resolution. Thanks for all of the forum communications that led up to success.
That is GREAT news! Thanks for keeping us posted.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Last edited: