Sudden massive battery drain

Reaction score
First off, I'd like to say that this is one of the coolest phones ever...and I never really had any major problems with it until now. A couple hours ago, I noticed that my battery was ridiculously low.... like down 70% in six hours with only very little usage. Normally, I can get about 24-30 hours out of this thing with heavier use. I checked the battery usage...and it said Android OS: 97%. I haven't downloaded any new apps (that I can remember), and for some reason, my battery usage screen isn't updating (after charging and unplugging my phone, the screen resets to show current usage since unplugged).

Any ideas??? I can't figure it out...and I'd rather not have to factory reset my phone. Oh, also...I'm completely stock, just running Go Launcher instead of the stock one. Any help would be appreciated :)

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

MissSpiffy

Reaction score
The difficult part of troubleshooting this is it sounds like it JUST started happening, so we don't yet know yet if the problem will persist. Every now and then wacky things happen with computers.

How long have you had the device for? In my experience, people will start reporting a dramatic change in battery life as early as 10 months, the average user ends up replacing it in months 13-14 or so (conveniently just after the 1 yr warranty haha), but some people don't experience problems for awhile. Were you in any poor service areas? A phone that is struggling to acquire a signal, or is perhaps trying to get updates while it has no signal, will drain battery remarkably fast.

Ensure that you are getting a good signal, and do routine system cleaning (cache, cookies, etc), and of course just pop that battery out of the phone for about 10 seconds and restart. Last but not least, observe over multuple days to make sure that this wasn't an isolated incident and to take note of any trends that may be occuring. If the problem still persists after you ensure it is running under normal circumstances, the next natural step is to see if a different battery improves the problem. If that does not, the next natural step is going to be a factory reset. Sometimes troubleshooting is an extended process :p.

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
First off, I'd like to say that this is one of the coolest phones ever...and I never really had any major problems with it until now. A couple hours ago, I noticed that my battery was ridiculously low.... like down 70% in six hours with only very little usage. Normally, I can get about 24-30 hours out of this thing with heavier use. I checked the battery usage...and it said Android OS: 97%. I haven't downloaded any new apps (that I can remember), and for some reason, my battery usage screen isn't updating (after charging and unplugging my phone, the screen resets to show current usage since unplugged).

Any ideas??? I can't figure it out...and I'd rather not have to factory reset my phone. Oh, also...I'm completely stock, just running Go Launcher instead of the stock one. Any help would be appreciated :)

You know what you have to do, right? Not fun, but it is an almost sure fix.

OP
SynysterBurns91
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick replies! I've had it since January...so just within the year. Thankfully. Haha. I tried clearing system cache, battery manager still isn't working right.... but I'm going to give it a bit to right itself. I WAS in a low-service area for a couple hours...so that could easily be the problem too. If all else fails...Ill go for a new battery. Then a factory reset if I absolutely have to (I have some apps that aren't offered anymore...). Thanks again for the help!

OP
SynysterBurns91
Reaction score
Charged my phone all the way up...cleared system cache, and did a battery pull....looks like problem is solved :) battery manager finally updated and battery drain is back to normal so farm Android OS is down to 3% :) thanks for the help!!

Nemo Aeternamn

Droid X Rescue Squad
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Then a factory reset if I absolutely have to (I have some apps that aren't offered anymore...). Thanks again for the help!

instead of going for a new battery first... get an app like... titanium back up... my back up pro... etc... and even with out root... they'll back up all your apps... just not the data for the apps... so you can save the apps just in case something does happen and you have to factory reset... just a tip

OP
SynysterBurns91
Reaction score
That's really cool! I thought I needed root to use all that. Nice to know that's one thing I'm not missing out on :)

BodyBagz

Reaction score
No real need to do a Factory Data Reset is this happened one time sporadically. I`ve had my phone for over a year now, and during all that time, rooted, unrooted, ROM`d and Themed, my DX has only done this 2 times...once on Froyo with Liberty Rom and once on GingerBread on my current Juicemanes Ginger Juice Theme. Both times all I did was do a battery pull then reboot the phone. Unfortunately, Android has bug that rears up occasionally...and its across all phones from what I have seen and read.