Sudden loss of all service [The final straw]

ssj11mav

Reaction score
Now, I dunno why I keep running into all these problems. And I really don't want to make it out to seem like "Oh this kid doesn't know what he's doing with his phone, he shouldn't be posting all these bugs on the forum" But... just read on please.

Today was my mother's birthday, I was out with a friend after I got done with school. My phone was in my pocket, and it was on. Everything was cool. OR WAS IT? After several hours of hanging out, I glance at my phone thinking "Gee, no one's texted me or anything. What's going on?" I check my phone, and there was 0 bars. No signal whatsoever. Airplane mode was off, data settings looked fine, it just suddenly dropped all bars. I had to restart my phone in order to get the signal back. My friend has a Droid 3 as well, but it wasn't on this rom. He had signal just fine.

I'm pretty pissed off, because I missed something related to my mother's birthday, and to be honest I think a phone's functionality should come first before any of it's other features. So sadly, I think I'm going to go back to a gingerbread Rom first thing in the morning. I personally do not see this as a viable daily driver with so many problems related to phone calling. It's my fault in all honesty, I thought the ROM was stable enough. xD

So Hash, thank you for the ICS experience. Hopefully you can bang out these problems in the future and I can give ICS another go. :p

vbhokiefan

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Well. To be fair, the ROM has never come out as "Stable." One of the risks we take when we run any ROM is that it may not perform as expected.

Sorry to hear that you had an issue, but it's still no reason to come into the forum and start taking shots.

Without Hashcode, there would be no real recovery or any form of ICS on the D3.

Fr33dom

Reaction score
Well. To be fair, the ROM has never come out as "Stable." One of the risks we take when we run any ROM is that it may not perform as expected.

Sorry to hear that you had an issue, but it's still no reason to come into the forum and start taking shots.

Without Hashcode, there would be no real recovery or any form of ICS on the D3.

Didn't read that as someone taking shots. He may well be attributing his issues to the wrong source, but he was respectful for someone whose frustration level was very high.

It is a good reminder to all that if you are on this ROM in particular, it should be taken as a given that there is a high possibility of problems that can make you miss something important or loose functionality. Hopefully you can be persistent enough to be sure you properly load the ROM, be patient enough to see if the problem reoccurs and be willing to try to gather log information that might help identify and resolve problems at their source. And this isn't to say the OP wasn't those things. Just that if you're on this ROM, you are on the bleeding edge--even though it is in beta.

From my experience, this ROM has been rock-solid. I have been on it for several months and have run it as my daily driver all month and have not seen any major issues--yet.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Didn't read that as someone taking shots. He may well be attributing his issues to the wrong source, but he was respectful for someone whose frustration level was very high.

It is a good reminder to all that if you are on this ROM in particular, it should be taken as a given that there is a high possibility of problems that can make you miss something important or loose functionality. Hopefully you can be persistent enough to be sure you properly load the ROM, be patient enough to see if the problem reoccurs and be willing to try to gather log information that might help identify and resolve problems at their source. And this isn't to say the OP wasn't those things. Just that if you're on this ROM, you are on the bleeding edge--even though it is in beta.

I liked your post but I deleted the last line on my response because as you can see from what the OP said it doesn't appear to be rock solid. And I also agree that the OP didn't take it out on anyone but himself.

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
To the O.P. - I'm glad you are taking the blame. If your phone was stock and this happened, obviously it would not be surprising if you took the blame to your phone and/or VZW, with good reason. These ROM's are not made with any sort of guarantee whatsoever. And, the fact your phone was rooted voids the warranty technically. Again, I'm glad overall you are accepting the blame.

Now, if the phone is in your pocket and in a building, there's no guarantee that it will be able to receive a signal. I would think part of the issue was those two factors - pocket and in a building. (I'm guessing you were not outside). Where I work at, I get 1x and occasionally 3G, however there's several times where I lose signal and have to reboot too. It's not a phone, VZW or ROM issue in this case.

OP
ssj11mav

ssj11mav

Reaction score
Thank you all for your responses, I'm happy you understand. I've made a nice Backup with the system + Data from ICS with Safe Strap and I'm back on Steel Droid 4.5 for now. I really hope that the times I've posted on this forum have been at least semi-helpful in pointing out the issues. The bluetooth driver, from what I understand, has a lot of issues... but I can't really say that because I don't know how it really works in the first place, I don't muck with Rom engineering (Or however the term goes~).

I'm not sure how busy Hashcode is, or if he ever checks my threads, but I'll compile everything that's happened to me here for the 3 or so weeks I was on his CM9 rom.

-Phone calls are muted and mic was disabled (Have to mess with enabling/disabling bluetooth/wifi/airplane mode to get it back to work, restarting did NOTHING to help!)
-Phone service was crazy low (But that might just be my area)
-Phone service dissapeared all together (See Below)
-The Keyboard acts really silly sometimes, thinking each button was an app shortcut (Regardless of what I've been running) and this seemed to always happen when I pull my phone out of my pocket... (Clicking search key and then the back soft key fixes it.)

And I'm not too too sure about how well it's supposed to be compatible with other applications, but I've been running these.

-Batteryleft
-Steam
-Google Voice
-Facebook
-Twitter
-Google Plus
-Voxer
-I've also been playing games such as Sonic CD, World of Goo, Words with Friends...

Now, if the phone is in your pocket and in a building, there's no guarantee that it will be able to receive a signal. I would think part of the issue was those two factors - pocket and in a building. (I'm guessing you were not outside). Where I work at, I get 1x and occasionally 3G, however there's several times where I lose signal and have to reboot too. It's not a phone, VZW or ROM issue in this case.

I was inside my friends house after doing some geocache hunting (With the c:geo app in the play store) and I set my phone down on his TV stand, a few feet away from my friends desk where he had his phone (Also a droid 3, rooted, stock!). I picked up my phone after a few hours and my phone signal had an (X) above the tower icons. My friend had 3 bars of 3G. It was bizarre. I think GPS was still on too. (By the way, I don't have any bluetooth devices so I never used bluetooth, but I may have turned it on and off occasionally by accident :> ) So I really don't know how else to explain how it happened. I mean, I know I had signal when I put my phone down cause I was texting someone.

And that's all I can think of. Fr33dom, what kind of apps do you run, and how often are you on your phone? Because I'm REALLY curious how you haven't at least ONCE ran into these issues. Do you have a case for your phone where it doesn't slide open and closed when it's in your pocket? Cause that's one theory I have for the keyboard glitch.

Fr33dom

Reaction score
Fr33dom, what kind of apps do you run, and how often are you on your phone? Because I'm REALLY curious how you haven't at least ONCE ran into these issues. Do you have a case for your phone where it doesn't slide open and closed when it's in your pocket? Cause that's one theory I have for the keyboard glitch.

Well I don't have cgeo on this load, but do have neongeo.I'll list the apps. If I were in your shoes, I'd slip back to the original ROM and run with it awhile to see if any of the issues show-up there. Perhaps your radio has developed a problem. If you want to try a few things on this ROM, I would start by clearing your davlik cache and updating your roaming (*228, option two if memory serves).

By the way, what version are you on?

Edited to add:

I use a Case Logic (horizontal with flap) case. Phone doesn't slide around in the case (pouch really).

Software I've added:
My tracks
Beat the Traffic
GPS Status
Raindar
CameraZoom
Facebook for Android
ColorNote
Google Docs
Google Goggles
Google Sky Map
Google Reader
Google Shopper
Titanium Backup
Circle Battery Widget
Picasa Mobile
Root Explorer

Fr33dom

Reaction score
I liked your post but I deleted the last line on my response because as you can see from what the OP said it doesn't appear to be rock solid. And I also agree that the OP didn't take it out on anyone but himself.

Do not ignore the first three words of that sentence.

matt12eagles

Reaction score
To the OP don't worry I actually have experienced exactly the same bugs as you including keyboard, phone signal and muted phone calls. Fortunately a goo old soft reboot usually patches these issues for a few hours. I am going to live with it ho. I love love love ics way to much! Hashofcode is amazing!