Sudden large battery drain

greycobalt

Reaction score
I've been using my S4 a week and a half, and I've loved it, and been pleasantly surprised with it's battery life. However, yesterday and today the life took a sharp turn for the worse, and drained to half battery without any use by the middle of the day. I use GSAM, but the logs are gibberish to me, so I was wondering if anyone here could tell me what's going on. Yesterday, the Android OS Kernel was the main culprit, today the Bluetooth Share is.

I was going to post them as plain text, but they're pretty long, so I'll attach them. If someone wants me to post them plainly, let me know. Thanks in advance for your help!

View attachment GSam Labs - Battery Monitor - Bluetooth Share.txt
View attachment GSam Labs - Battery Monitor - Kernel (Android OS).txt
View attachment GSam Labs - Battery Monitor - Contacts.txt

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately those files aren't providing (me) a lot of information. I suggest you install Battery Guru, (made for the Qualcom processor S4) and check the settings to stop contacts from syncing unless you open them. That's the only thing I can think of at the moment. That app gives me such tight control, over the phone that my battery use more than triples without it.

I assume you have rebooted? Also look for something you recently installed or activated like Google + or Hangouts.

OP
greycobalt

greycobalt

Reaction score
Thanks, I'll install that and see what I can do with it. I have rebooted several times since, and it ran with perfect battery for the first week and a half or so having G+ and Hangouts installed. :-/

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
It doesn't have to be either of those apps. It couyld be another app, struggling WiFi, a part of an account that keeps trying to sync and can't and a boat load of other possibilities. Under accounts, tap each and see if there are any sync errors on the individual items, especially the Google account.

OP
greycobalt

greycobalt

Reaction score
No sync errors, I only have my Google and Facebook accounts synced and they're both green. Would those be making the Kernel go crazy? I assumed they would mess up the Android Services part instead.

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
I haven't even touched on some of the battery eaters, like bad SD cards. But there are a lot of things that affect Google services. Auto update on apps - checking/installing apps, location services and more. I average a hair over 2 days on a charge, (but I don't expect anyone else to use their phone the way I do), and every now and then I see a spike that cuts my battery dramatically for what seems to be no reason at all but that only happens maybe once every 10 days at most.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
No sync errors, I only have my Google and Facebook accounts synced and they're both green. Would those be making the Kernel go crazy? I assumed they would mess up the Android Services part instead.

A quick scan with an app called Watch Dog lite will help you find what's going on with the kernel. It tells you what's using cpu (battery drain ). Look for something using cpu that shouldn't be running. It songs like an app gone rogue imo. If you see something using cpu that shouldn't be you can force close (kill) it and if it's an app that you've installed you can delete it also.
Make sure if you are running a task killer it is NOT set to automatic.
Also on gsam, tap the kernel, tap manage and see where it takes you. You could have a download stuck open, a media server stuck, drm stuck, etc. and it should take you to where you can force close the offender.
I've also read the latest Maps update is causing battery drain on some devices. You might try go to settings, applications, all, scroll down to Maps, tap uninstall and it'll uninstall the last update. If that isn't it you can easily put it back by going to the Play store and it'll show there's an update under myapps.
Hope that helps

Support Our Troops!!!
<
Notate