Sudden Gmail Issue - Not Getting Emails

DroidGurl

Reaction score
Email seemed to be working fine then suddenly as of today my Gmail emails are coming through to my phone about 3 hours after they have been sent. They appear to be going to the Gmail on my computer just fine but for some reason are not getting pushed through to my phone.

I try not to select automatic updates for my apps but I think someone this was set up for automatic - was there an update in the past 24 hours that messed me up? How can I fix this? Email is my only means of communication with my deployed soldier and I missed most of his emails to me today. :(

huskerkate

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
try going into menu<settings<applications<manage applications<all<gmail<clear cache and reboot. if that doesn't help, then check "clear cache" and "clear data".

barcodelinux

Reaction score
I would try huskerkates method first. But if that doesn't work...

You can try going in to the settings menu and deleting your gmail account, rebooting, and the re-adding your gmail account.

After that, you can test it by sending yourself an email to see if it gets pushed.

Beyond that, I would say it is a gmail network issue and nothing to do with your phone.

If the above solution doesnt work, and as a temporary workaround, you can go into your gmail and create a *temporary* filter and forward (and archive) all of the emails from @us.army.mil (or whatever email he uses) to your phone via text message. Just remember that your vzw email address is <your 10 digit phone number here>@vtext.com . Be advised that this will only work if he is sending text-only emails. Pictures will not work.

If he wants to send you pictures only (no text), he should use <your 10 digit phone number here>@vzwpix.net

Mistah

Reaction score
having the same issue with gmail today, and when i send an email it just sits in the outbox saying sending.....

barcodelinux

Reaction score
I just tested my gmail by sending a test email to myself. It sent from my droid and was pushed to my droid. I am not noticing any problems...yet.

Mistah

Reaction score
seems to be up and down, i am sitting at the computer, some are pushed immediately others dont come thru at all

bioniclime

Reaction score
I am having the exact same problem. This morning, gmail suddenly stopped working on my Droid 2. I can manually refresh and get gmail delivered, but the automatic pull is not working.

Gmail works fine on a PC.

OP
DroidGurl

DroidGurl

Reaction score
I do not believe it is a gmail issue...I thought that at first but the emails are going right through on my PC. They are significantly delayed going to my phone (roughly three hours) and when they come through there is no notification on the bar.

I tried clear cache/reboot. Didn't work.

I tried clear data/reboot/pull battery. Didn't work.

This morning when I got up I had several different notifications, two were Google Googles and Maps failed auto app updates. I manually updated and have been having the gmail issues all day (seemingly ever since).

I will try removing the account and reinstalling. But I always find it suspicious when something suddenly stops working like that...it was working fine yesterday! What happened?

OP
DroidGurl

DroidGurl

Reaction score
Well...it will not allow me to remove the account because it is my primary email address with all my market app access etc. The only way to remove it is to do a factory reset....

OP
DroidGurl

DroidGurl

Reaction score
I see from the Gmail page on the Market that we are not alone experiencing this. I was wondering if anyone has been brave enough to uninstall application updates for Gmail to see if that works...I may try that before a full factory reset but I really need my emails pushed through so I may have to do that.

barcodelinux

Reaction score
Well...it will not allow me to remove the account because it is my primary email address with all my market app access etc. The only way to remove it is to do a factory reset....

Just go to gmail and create another free account. Then sign into the phone with that new account. Then pop over to your PC and send an email to that new account. If it gets pushed, then then its a phone issue most likely. If not then its a gmail issue.

Like I said, creating a temporary filter to forward his emails to your text messages is a way to keep from having to do a factory reset. You shouldn't have to reset your phone just cause gmail is screwing up.

OP
DroidGurl

DroidGurl

Reaction score
How do I assign another gmail account as the main account associated with the Market etc?

barcodelinux

Reaction score
Sign in to the phone with both accounts. Just go to Settings, Accounts& Sync, Add Account.
Then go back and delete the first account. The one that's left should become the primary.
But I suggest you make a backup BEFORE doing anything.

OP
DroidGurl

DroidGurl

Reaction score
OK I called Verizon and got the scoop.

1. Verizon is aware of the issue and Google is working on it.
2. For now we have to refresh the gmail app manually to get our emails.
3. It is my understanding that the fix will be in a gmail app update.

So, what I gather from this is no amount of fiddling around with our settings is going to fix the issue. I think I had gmail app set for auto updates (not sure) but after this happened I switched every app to manual update only. From now on if an issue comes up I will have some idea where it came from. (If you read the comments in the Market under gmail you will see we are clearly not the only ones with this issue.)

I have thought about adding my primary gmail account under the regular email setup temporarily - I have 3 other gmail accounts that are syncing just fine with that app.

So I guess just be on the lookout for that gmail app update!