Sudden battery issues: is the OTA the culprit?

Discussion in 'Bugless' started by eagle132, Aug 4, 2010.

1. eagle132

eagle132 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    As of maybe 3 days ago my battery life took a large turn for the worse. I've been running BB V0.4 with Chevy's 1GHz kernel since BBV0.4 was released and have had outstanding battery life/power with it, ending the day with still 60%+. Suddenly, my droid is dying by mid afternoon (with very minimal usage, a few texts and a few minutes of web browsing/email checking), and when I check battery usage, the main consumer is "Phone Idle"...

When the 2.1 OTA came out, there was a process to get it out of your system update, because it was hurting battery life. However, my phone still says it is currently up to date.

This issue might have nothing to do with the official update, it just seemed like a big coincidence. Any thoughts?

2. Funky145

Funky145 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I noticed that my battery life started taking a dive yesterday.

3. DoritosVodka

DoritosVodka New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Strange.... I too noticed a dramatic difference in battery life over the past few days.

With "Phone Idle" and "Cell standby" eating the highest amount. By the end of the day they both are in the 20% range with Phone Idle being in the High 20%.

For the past few days I've been checking all my Widget and App settings. Thinking that maybe one of them updated and the settings reverted back to defaults.

I did find that somehow TweetCaster reverted back to a 5 minute Refresh Rate. Usually have it on a 1 to 2 hour Refresh. But, that change made very little difference.

Usually I go 16 hours with light to moderate usage and my Battery is at 60% by the end of the day. For the past few days I've been at 20% in the same time frame with the same usage. Usually the "Phone Idle" and "Cell standby" Battery Usage values are in the low teens (or single digits). With Display and Voice Calls being the highest.

4. bravid

bravid New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm not seeing anything like that here. I got the prompt to update this morning and told it to install. Upon reboot the install was blocked and after another reboot I'm back to normal.

This is how I've always accepted the updates and it seems to keep them from coming back.

5. g3rt13

g3rt13 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Same problem here, and it started about 3 days ago. I haven't done any OTA updates though.

6. Thevaristy

Thevaristy Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I was having the same issue. I flashed Lithium Mod on my phone a few days ago before I noticed the battery issue. I had assumed Lithium mod was the culprit. I then put SS 4.6 on the phone, and it was better, but still not as good as it had been. I then decided to check into all my running apps, and found that tikl had been running constantly. I disabled that, and everything has been fine since.

7. sweeeeet

sweeeeet Silver Member

Ratings:
    +65
    i was having tons of issues within the last few days... removed a bunch of un needed apps and ran a cache cleaner as well as changed to a different kernel and i'm back to normal

hope that helps

8. usranger80

usranger80 Member

Ratings:
    +0
  9. DoritosVodka

DoritosVodka New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I just removed Facebook...

Now going to see how it is over the next 2 days.

10. usranger80

usranger80 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I am not sure if you need to remove the app completely, just dont run the widget and kill the app after you use it. I don't run the widget and the app is set to auto kill and it hasn't hurt my battery life at all since I updated.

11. sdlenhert

sdlenhert New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I too have noticed a battery drainage as of late. I manually upgraded to 2.2 and noticed that my battery life has been draining more quickly. In fact last night when I shut off my phone I had about 70% battery life, but this morning when I turned it on it was down to 5%!

12. usranger80

usranger80 Member

Ratings:
    +0
Search tags for this page

android sudden power loss