Stylus Pens

lucylu0508

Reaction score
New member and Droid user here :)

I have a HTC Incredible...LOVING it so far. I saw online that you could use a stylus with it, which would be nice b/c then I could use my phone with gloves on. Now my question is: Anyone use a stylus with their Incredible? If so, what brand/maker have you found works well?

I saw the Boxwave one online and was thinking about that one, but thought I'd stop here to see if anyone had any rec's. If this has been asked before, I apologize, I did a pretty superficial search and didn't see much for results.

beckx020

Reaction score
I have a Droid1. My experience with 2 kinds of stylus was pretty bad. But perhaps that was because of my screen protector. If you do find one that works well, please post about it.

OP
L

lucylu0508

Reaction score
hmmm, I was def'y going to have to get a screen protector (b/c I srsly seem to repel anything that I hold and drop it all) so maybe it won't work. If I do find one I'll def'y post :)

Side note-what screen protectors do you use? Good luck with them?

Card

Reaction score
You need a stylus designed to be used with a capacitive touchscreen. You should be able to go on Amazon, Ebay, or other such site to locate a plethora of choices (it might help to broaden your search to ones that are "iPhone or iPod Touch compatible", as these are also capacitive screens and more common search terms). I don't know how well any of them work, as I don't like using a stylus.

Another option (and the route I chose to go) is to get a spool of conductive thread. It's more expensive than regular sewing thread, but it will allow you to easily use your touchscreen with gloves on. Simply take a length of the thread, and sew X's into the fingertips of your gloves. I've done this with 3 different sets of gloves (synthetic mechanic's gloves, fleece winter gloves, and leather motorcycle gloves), all work well and are way easier than carrying a stylus around with me.

As for screen protectors, I personally don't like them. They make the touchscreen ever so slightly less responsive that it's noticeable. Plus, the screen on my D1 is holding up great. The metal case is scuffed, scratched, and chipped in a few places, but the screen still looks fantastic.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
I like screen protectors because they add a little traction and can prevent scratches (just noticed a tiny one on my screen :(), but they're personal taste.

Good call on iPod-compatible and nice tip on the thread. :)

:EDIT:

Are you still really on 6.0? The latest nightlies and RCs for the 6.1 are unbelievably awesome. :)

Card

Reaction score
I know, I know. I need to get up-to-date on CM, the only thing holding me back has been my sheer laziness. Heck, it took me until August to finally root the phone, and I got my first D1 on release day last year. But now that I feel like I've been challenged, I'll check out the latest 6.1 RC. dancedroid

As for the gloves, yeah I love mine. When I'm on a motorcycle and stuck in traffic or at a stoplight, I hate having to take off a glove, just to check my phone. Undoubtably, every time i get the glove off and unlock the phone, the light changes and I have to fumble to get my phone back in my pocket and glove back on. It was about $20 for a spool of the conductive thread. And while that does seem like a lot for sewing material, you can do multiple fingers on several sets of gloves with how much you have. I figure it's about the same cost as one or two decent styluses (styli?), and is a little less intrusive since there's no easy way to keep the stylus attached to the phone.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
You download the app pack and the ROM nightly, flash both in recovery, and go. No need to wipe. Takes 30 minutes, tops, and that's if you need to flash a kernel, too. ;)

anuagg89

Reaction score
I have a Gateway CX2618 tablet PC running XP Tablet PC Edition. My
stylus/pen does not completely work. It can move the cursor around the
screen but it will not allow me to select anything and it will not ink. This
starting happening right after the computer locked up and the only way to get
it restarted was to remove the battery. All other systems and programs seem
to be working.

I have downloaded new updated drivers for the stylus and tried to
re-calibrate the stylus(still doesn't work to do this re-calibration).
Gateway's technical support solution is to send me a new pen (under warranty)
but it seems peculiar that it began right after a crash. I will not receive
the pen for several days so I am still trying to trouble shoot in case it is
not the stylus.

hosting

jcolt

Reaction score
Thr Griffen Stylus works great on cap screen, even withb a screen protector. Can be found on Amazon. I use it on my Ipad and DX

solar

Reaction score
My experiance with a capacitive touch stylus wasn't all that great. The tips are just too "smooshy". You don't always get a strait line if your are drawing or writing; It skips a bit.You just don't get the precision of a traditional stylus (for obvious reasons). But its hard to tell from a lot of the pictures, that the tip are generally fat and not thin. It works ok for just poing the screen to open programs and such.

That conductive thread idea is awesome though!