Stupid Phone

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
Well first off, I do love my phone, but the signal "freezes". The icon in the notification bar will say 3G but the download arrow will freeze and stay on. My signal is good and is uasually around 100 dbms where I live. I have to constantly turn it to airplane mode, wait until the phone responds, then turn airplane mode off.

The phone is stock and not rooted. I have tried *228 many times and also have done battery pulls.

Also, sometimes when I turn my phone off, it will take 10+ mins to power off, and rarely, it will get stuck vibrating until I hit a button and then it turns off.

Robdiesel

Reaction score
That sounds terrible. Love my Dx, but it freezes then turns off sometimes. Not sure what the cause it.

Sent from my DROIDX

OP
brad92

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
Mine will also just shut off randomly and restart.

My first one would freeze and make you pull the battery and then get stuck at the Motorola bootloader screen.

PS3Gamer

Reaction score
I hear of people with these issues and I never experience them. Only once a week does it randomly reboot itself. I do like to keep things fresh (happy when I have to data wipe with a new version, GB) and cleared cache regularly... I also am only rooted and when I experience a program giving me issues, I uninstall. I LOVE making sure my running applications are what I want to be running. I have never touched a program quitting app...

I don't know what you run with in the background of your device, but maybe that's the cause? I have only experienced the signal to not connect back to 3G when I was in a '1X' service area once, and I visit this same area a couple times a month. Figure out what application is causing the constant download or maybe *228 and click the 2 or 3 instead of 1 to maybe fix the service?

Reaction score
When you say "stock" are you saying you don't have any downloaded apps installed? Are you running any widgets? The only time I've experienced random reboots or other weird issues is when I've installed an app or a widget that didn't cooperate. Uninstalling the problem app solved the issue in all cases. The problem is usually figuring out which app is causing the problem. I've seen it with a calendar app/widget, some racing game, and a sound profile app.

OP
brad92

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
I meant non rooted. I have third party apps that I have removed because they caused my phone to freeze like Yahoo Messenger app.

I'm thinking I am going to root to remove bloatware and then un root. I just am hesitant when I have an issue, it makes me want to stay unrooted.

What are your opinions on doing the one touch root, removing bloat, then going back to stock? I know I need to save an .sbf file to revert my phone back to stock for warranty, but am not sure how.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
This is really easy to fix. Factory data reset. It will get your phone running like new. Do this out of your privacy section.

Apps will return upon signing into Google.

It will be a bit of an inconvenience having to sign into things again, but it will be much better then what you are experiencing now.

And please remove any task killers of antivirus before you do this. That might be the source of your problem.

OP
brad92

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
I do have Advanced Task killer but I never use it unless I have a stubborn program. That and I also have Lookout Mobile Security. You think these have caused any issues?

Reaction score
you shouldn't need a task killer, Android does a really good job of managing tasks all by itself. As for the other apps, uninstall them and see if issues go away. You can always re-install them later. The Market will remember any apps you've purchased so you won't lose those by uninstalling them.

OP
brad92

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
I uninstalled it.

Here is my idea: I will backup my sd card contents to my flashdrive. I am going to use the one click root method and root. I am gonna use Barnacle to wifi tether to my game consoles.

My question is, what happens if my phone breaks, how do I go back to being unrooted? Can I just do a full data reset if I need to? Or am I stuck using the one click root or equivalent? I need to be able to put the bloatware back on the phone and unroot to take it in for warranty.

I'm wanting to go through with this but don't want to be stuck with a $400 paperweight that I need to replace. Been searching google for the past 30 mins.

DJxPanda

Reaction score
I uninstalled it.

Here is my idea: I will backup my sd card contents to my flashdrive. I am going to use the one click root method and root. I am gonna use Barnacle to wifi tether to my game consoles.

My question is, what happens if my phone breaks, how do I go back to being unrooted? Can I just do a full data reset if I need to? Or am I stuck using the one click root or equivalent? I need to be able to put the bloatware back on the phone and unroot to take it in for warranty.

I'm wanting to go through with this but don't want to be stuck with a $400 paperweight that I need to replace. Been searching google for the past 30 mins.

well first of all depends on what you mean by break. if you have a cracked screen or something like that, then yes you can get back to stock and take your phone it. If you mess around with the "flash 0" of the phone or something like that and actually brick it, then i believe you can sbf back to stock. but the thing is, with all of the great root methods these days, bricking rarely ever happens unless someone really screws around. but my suggestion would be to z4 root. its the easiest way to root your phone. then my second suggestion would be to get gingerbread rooted. a lot of your random reboots and stuff will be taken care of once you root. so.. google z4 root and then put that on the Root of your sd card, make sure you turn on "unknown sources" in your application settings, and then go into your trust file manager (i use astro) find the z4 root and install it. then run it and you'll be rooted. takes no longer than 5-10 minutes.

OP
brad92

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
Ok, I have read z4 root is the way to go now, from other sources. Now how would I get the bloatware back on the phone if I needed to take the phone in?

OP
brad92

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
I rooted the phone and it was pretty simple. I am not going to do anything major like delete the bloatware on it or install Gingerbread until I do a little more research and back the phone up. I will say Barnacle is really sweet though! I guess the wifi isnt strong enough to connect to a Wii even though I got it to work with my laptop.