Stuck!

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
KIES is Samsung's software and should resolve the problem. Verizon doesn't have software of this nature to do anything for this particular problem.
As everybody has mentioned, this happened due to a software update and you will not be charged for it. If you had a VZW rep tell you otherwise, then you need to call back and speak to another rep, or better yet, take it into a Verizon corporate store. You need to fight this.

In the meantime download KIES to your PC and plug in your device. If you can resolve the problem, simply don't accept delivery of the replacement device, and you'll get your money back.
Good luck & let us know how you make out.

S5 tap'n
Agree. In fact this is the time where you take this up to someone higher.

I would go back to the corporate store, make sure it is a corporate and not a retail, and if you bought your note 4 through Verizon then you tell them that the software update Vzw sent to your phone corrupted the software. If they still try and say they can not resolve it write down the name of the rep and his store manager, go home and call Vzw over the phone (customer retention) and explain the situation. If they try and tell you that an ota will not do that just give us a minute and we can list every device and which software Vzw pushed that has bricked a device. I am sure at that point you should be seeing a replacement. I had a similar situation and I actually emailed a rep articles about a flaw in a device and they then changed their tune.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
I have an example of a software update ruining a phone...my brand new Note 5. The very first update that hit my phone gave me the dead Android guy with a red message, failed, then a continuous boot loop.

I went to Best Buy, where I bought the phone. The Verizon reps were not able to fix it. They sent me to the Samsung people that also happened to have a station set up in Best Buy. The Samsung guy tried for over an hour to reload the OS onto my phone with no luck. He then immediately ordered me a replacement.

Which leads me to another suggestion. Samsung has retailers located in some Best Buys and probably various other places. They are able to do things to fix a failed update that Verizon can't. Find a Samsung retailer to see if they are able to load the correct OS to get your phone working again. If not, because the phone is still under warranty, they will order you a replacement. They may be able to order a Note Edge replacement. If they can't get the Note Edge for replacement, insist on a Note 5 or Note 6 edge for replacement.

If you're not able to get a Note Edge for replacement, you can always sell the new replacement on Swappa and use that money to buy a Note Edge on Swappa.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
I had a very similar issue with vzw. Took me a week or 2 of relentless arguing but in the end they made it right and even admitted they were wrong.

Don't give up. Don't let them bully you.

The one question I'm curious about is what was this out of the blue update

Note 4tified

Reactions: cr6
OP
dan j

dan j

Reaction score
Running out the door but I downloaded Kies 3. With phone off it's not registering it and with the phone on it goes to the Vz screen and freezes.

I just realized that I should have tried going to safe mode (or whatever) but I have to walk out the door so I'll try it later.

Thanks,
Dan

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Kies may work but I really think ODIN will be your best bet.

Note 4tified
Though this is a great idea. The OP should not do this and here is why. If the op try and Odin the phone himself, even though he is fixing a problem Verizon caused, they can (and probably will) say he caused it by using Odin. Don't Samsung still flags when you use Odin?

Had this been an unlocked phone out of warranty your idea would actually be great. But in this incident he do not want to give VZW any excuses. They already trying not to honor the warranty anyway.
Anything outside of him doing a factory reset is too much because he is dealing with people giving him a hard time.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
Though this is a great idea. The OP should not do this and here is why. If the op try and Odin the phone himself, even though he is fixing a problem Verizon caused, they can (and probably will) say he caused it by using Odin. Don't Samsung still flags when you use Odin?

Had this been an unlocked phone out of warranty your idea would actually be great. But in this incident he do not want to give VZW any excuses. They already trying not to honor the warranty anyway.
Anything outside of him doing a factory reset is too much because he is dealing with people giving him a hard time.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
I think so long as he flashes the actual verizon tar file it will be fine.

Note 4tified

nemian

Reaction score
I have the same problem... I have a note edge did the software update and am stuck on the red Verizon screen... using power,vol up, and home does not even let me FDR the phone.... I plug the phone into my computer and can not get my phone to be read by the computer... worst day ever

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
If the update was the cause, I would take the phone to a VZW Corporate store. Tell them you downloaded the VZW update and ask them to fix it or replace it..

nemian

Reaction score
I am still under warranty.. however i just read the first few posts... i go tmy phone into odin mode and used the vzw software repair and so far it is showing installing so we might be able to bring our phones back to life.. it is showing 80 percent so far and has been about 20 minutes now... crossing fingers for this to work and bring my baby back to life.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
If the update was the cause, I would take the phone to a VZW Corporate store. Tell them you downloaded the VZW update and ask them to fix it or replace it..
This.

Only time I would recommend Odin would be if it was a result of the person trying to root. If the person did not do any modifications then using Odin only puts the bullseye on the person and gives Verizon a way out. STG posted proof an ota was sent so the op has everything in his favor right now. Odin and making a mistake can put them in a situation where now they are forced to deal with it versus Verizon.

I'm not against Odin as I used it back during my note 2 rom days. And normally I would encourage pushing software yourself as the process is easy. But in this case it is just not wise, especially if the op is not familiar with Odin.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

nemian

Reaction score
SHE LIVES!!!!
okay so you need to hold power, vol up, home... get into the menu that pops and go to boot loader or whatever... once you are there you need to connect the phone to the computer and have the verizon software repair thing... i was lucky enough to have another samsung android phone so i plugged it in and let it install the verizon repair on my computer... after it was on my computer i unplugged the other phone and plugged my edge in... gave it a few minutes a few plug and unplugs and sure enough it connected and repaired after 30 minutes my phone is up and reloading now

nemian

Reaction score
i also have no root i work for an indirect verizon channel and never root just cause i know the headaches

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
I am still under warranty.. however i just read the first few posts... i go tmy phone into odin mode and used the vzw software repair and so far it is showing installing so we might be able to bring our phones back to life.. it is showing 80 percent so far and has been about 20 minutes now... crossing fingers for this to work and bring my baby back to life.
Let us know the result...