1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Stuck with 2.1 with no Root

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by Wrenbjor, Jan 27, 2010.

1. Wrenbjor

Wrenbjor New Member

Hey guys, I installed "ANDROID2.1_GREEK35T_REV.0.0.41" form the install 2.1 the easy way thread. it worked fine. in the article it said that I would still have root but I don't. I still have the little ninja icon that says "Superuser Permissions" but I cant run Drocap2 and if I adb shell into the phone I cant mount, su, or chmod su. I want to go back to 2.0.1 from this 2.1 rom and then get the Sholes 2.0.1, 1.2 rom.

su is listed as

-rwsr-xr-x root root 26628 2010-01-26 16:57 su

I know that root has read and execute permissions but when I type su I get "Permission denied" so I tried to chmod it to 755 and 777 and I get "Unable to chmod su: Read-only file system", so then I figured I need to mount the file system as read/write.. so I ran mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system and I got "mount: Operation not permitted" so no matter what I do I cant seem to get Root back...

Now I have my nandroid backup of my stock verizon 2.0.1 but do I need root access for the nandroid flasher to put it back? will i brick the phone if I wipe it and try to install the backup?

I have tried the root process from this page Installation | Sholes and from Obtaining Root - Root Your Droid and steps 1-6 of the 2.1 the easy way article and none of them work. I also ran the "un-root your phone" fixes and tried re-rooting and still not working. I also have droid root helper and I tell it to mount and it says it is successful but I still cant run su in the terminal or on adb shell..... help!
  2. djh816

djh816 New Member

send me a PM.
  3. Wrenbjor

Wrenbjor New Member

Solved

I was able to use nandroid to restore my old 2.0.1 image. It did not need root to do it. so now I'm back at normal 2.0.1
  4. amstrk

amstrk New Member

please pm me and tell me how you did this ? i'm stuck in 2.1. no root, no nandroid. very very frustrated.
Search tags for this page

1 stuck vilt net rood