Stuck on red eye loop when starting phone, need my photos!

missayubi

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid RAZR
Last night I fell asleep with my phone plugged in, and while I was asleep it came unplugged and died. This morning I tried to start the phone after charging it and it wouldn't load past the "red droid eye" screen. I have tried resetting using all three buttons on the phone, but it won't pass that point in turning on. I have a new phone coming tomorrow from my insurance and really don't care about this one at all, BUT I really need my photos off. I have photos from weddings, family, vacations, etc. (I know I should have backed up but its a little late). I have to send this phone in the next 4 days or I will be charged $500, and all I need are my photos and videos put onto my laptop. Any help would be unexplainably appreciated. Again, all I want are my photos and videos (contacts would be nice as well). Thank you SO MUCH for any help.

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
Welcome to the forums :) Hopefully someone will be able to help you out soon.

What kind of phone is it?

OP
M

missayubi

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid RAZR
Welcome to the forums :) Hopefully someone will be able to help you out soon.

What kind of phone is it?

My mistake! If you can't tell I'm really stressed about this. It is a Droid RAZR XT912.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Welcome to the forum missayubi! A few questions first: is your device stock or rooted? Just to confirm, you did plug it in and let it charge completely overnight? And exactly what 3 button combination did you use? Typically just holding the volume up button and the power button at the same time for a few seconds will put you into recovery mode.

tap'n on my S5

OP
M

missayubi

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid RAZR
Welcome to the forum missayubi! A few questions first: is your device stock or rooted? Have you plugged it in and let it charge overnight? And exactly what 3 button combination did you use? Typically just holding the volume up button and the power button at the same time for a few seconds will put you into recovery mode.

tap'n on my S5

I'm not very tech savvy but I'm a fast learner, not sure what you mean by stock or rooted. It charged all day while I was at work. I pressed the only three buttons, power, volume up and volume down. this resets the phone. I can also go into recovery mode by pressing the volumes at the same time after resetting. I can start it in fastboot mode, but I have no idea what that does. That is about the extent of my knowledge. All I really need is for my laptop to recognize the phone when I plug it in with USB, which seems to only work when the phone is on. Thanks!

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
If you're not sure what root is, then your device is stock. Since you can get into recovery, go ahead and start it in fastboot or safe mode if you see that option. You can scroll through the menu in recovery using your volume up or down button and choose an option by pressing your home or power button.
In order for your pc to recognize the device you need to have the phone on and usb debugging enabled, and that's in your system settings, which obviously has to be turned on once your phone is booted up, so let's try and get it to boot up first.

tap'n on my S5

OP
M

missayubi

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid RAZR
If you're not sure what root is, then your device is stock. Since you can get into recovery, go ahead and start it in fastboot or safe mode if you see that option. You can scroll through the menu in recovery using your volume up or down button and choose an option by pressing your home or power button.
In order for your pc to recognize the device you need to have the phone on and usb debugging enabled, and that's in your system settings, which obviously has to be turned on once your phone is booted up, so let's try and get it to boot up first.

tap'n on my S5

When going to the boot menu I don't see safe mode (unless that's the same as fastboot), I just see recovery, AP Fastboot, BP SBF Flash, BP only, BP HW Diag & Boot AP, and BP tools. when starting in fastboot mode, I see
AP Fastboot Flash mode (s)
0A.77
eMMC Info: Size 16G
To return to normal mode- first press power key to power down
Device is LOCKED. Status code 0

Battery OK
OK to program
Connect USB
Data Cable

What should I do from here?
(thank you so much for responding)

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
Dunno which one, so try BP only then if that doesn't work try boot AP... It's one of the two.

Sent from my XT1060

Reactions: cr6
OP
M

missayubi

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid RAZR
Dunno which one, so try BP only then if that doesn't work try boot AP... It's one of the two.

Sent from my XT1060

When I tried BP only it froze on the M screen before the red eye.
When I tried BP HW Diag & Boot AP it froze on the red eye again.
I would test them all but I'm afraid to lose my photos, which is the only reason I needed help in the first place. Thanks!

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Restoring your device via fastboot mode can be a bit tricky but I found a guide here. http://www.droidviews.com/restore-your-motorola-droid-razr-from-bootloop-using-fastboot-files/
If you don't feel comfortable doing this, you might back out of the menu you're in and wait for one of our Razr experts to offer an alternative suggestion for you. Not sure where you're located but it's after midnight here so you may not get a response until tomorrow. Hang in there though, we've got some very knowledgeable folks that may have a better/easier suggestion for you.

Thanks for chiming in cliff!

tap'n on my S5

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
Fastbooting is not a bad idea. You will want to check the xml file and erase any lines that say erase user data or there will be no pictures to recover.... I believe Matts utility is still floating around too. Thus will automate the process for you and I believe it has two options. Full flash to erase data and flash to keep data.... You will need to remember which version if Android you were on. And someone confirm this please, I'm mobile, no time to check.

Sent from my XT1060

OP
M

missayubi

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid RAZR
Restoring your device via fastboot mode can be a bit tricky but I found a guide here. http://www.droidviews.com/restore-your-motorola-droid-razr-from-bootloop-using-fastboot-files/
If you don't feel comfortable doing this, you might back out of the menu you're in and wait for one of our Razr experts to offer an alternative suggestion for you. Not sure where you're located but it's after midnight here so you may not get a response until tomorrow. Hang in there though, we've got some very knowledgeable folks that may have a better/easier suggestion for you.

Thanks for chiming in cliff!

tap'n on my S5

After reading the link you posted I see that it will restore my phone. I have the option to restore my phone through the recovery menu, but all I want is access to my files from my phone onto my computer. The phone is being sent back to Motorola, and I want all of my stuff off of it before I have to send it. Is this still necessary?
Thanks for all of your help.

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
Don't reset your phone in recovery... This will wipe everything. Fastbooting or using Matts utility will just reflash the firmware hopefully make the phone boot. You want to make sure if you do flash to not wipe data.

Sent from my XT1060

OP
M

missayubi

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid RAZR
Fastbooting is not a bad idea. You will want to check the xml file and erase any lines that say erase user data or there will be no pictures to recover.... I believe Matts utility is still floating around too. Thus will automate the process for you and I believe it has two options. Full flash to erase data and flash to keep data.... You will need to remember which version if Android you were on. And someone confirm this please, I'm mobile, no time to check.

Sent from my XT1060
All I know is that I was on the most recent version available for Droid Razr. Is this something that could be solved by taking my phone into a shop? I'm hesitant because I have heard stories of shops permanently deleting data on peoples phones by accident, and I'm not really willing to take that risk.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Problem is, you won't be able to access you data until you can get your phone to boot up. You might try taking it into a cellphone repair shop. They may be able to get it to boot up for you.

tap'n on my S5