Stuck on M screen after my first time installing a custom ROM

krustyy

Reaction score
Help?

I downloaded the latest version of Liberty, stuck it on my phone, and installed The clockwork bootloader and rom manager. I performed the following actions as noted in this thread

-boot into recovery via Recovery
-select "wipe data/factory reset"
-select "Yes -- delete all data"
-go back
-select "install zip from sdcard"
-select "choose zip from sdcard"
-find and select LibertyXX.zip
-reboot

Now it's just been hanging on the M screen for 20+ minutes. I've pulled the battery once to restart and perform the steps noted above, but the results are still the same. It's just sitting on the motorolla logo. What steps am I missing to get my phone back up and running?

OP
K

krustyy

Reaction score
quick update: I reflashed again but this time went into advanced options to flush the delvik cache as well. I'm giving it about 4 more minutes of sitting on the m screen before I need to start trying something else. Next step is to try redownloading the rom and throwing it on my drive to see if that helps.

sudermatt

Reaction score
First of all, you should post this in the Liberty forum...but hey, I'm here so I'll give this a wack.

I can tell you what I know.
1. What's causing your problem is dependent on what ROM you where on before you flashed Liberty.
a. Verizon Froyo?
b. Verizon Gingerbread?

If a, I'm pretty sure you are hosed and need to SBF back to stock and start over.
If b, then try to get back into recovery and reflash again...seriously,

Again, you should post this in Liberty forum. I don't know what the steps are for that ROM...I just know, that if you're coming from Froyo and try one of these swankie new ROMS, you will brick.

Here is a link to some SBFing instructions :

Last edited:
OP
K

krustyy

Reaction score
I am probably still on Froyo. I rooted a long time ago and uninstalled some apps, which prevented me from getting any OTA updates.

OP
K

krustyy

Reaction score
Yay, I'm now upgraded to the latest stock for my droid 2. Time to retry the custom rom now.

OP
K

krustyy

Reaction score
Ok, now that I'm on gingerbread, I'm having trouble rooting. I tried rooting after my initial update to stock froyo a little while but rooting manually wasn't working for some reason so I used a one click root which said it was successful. It wasn't. Now I have the little superuser program installed but don't actually have root access.

Is there a new utility out there to successfully root a droid 2 running a stock gingerbread rom?

OP
K

krustyy

Reaction score
Yay rooted. I had to go through like 3 different tools before finding one that worked properly.