Stuck on logo screen

Wingfire9

Reaction score
My phone will get to the logo screen and I can get into the hard reset recovery. My phone was rooted and I had a bootstrap installed, but I can no longer access it. I have tried leaving the battery out for a while, pulling the battery multiple times, and turning the phone on while holding the up arrow on the keyboard.

How can I fix this? Is there anyway to get an update.zip that I can use in the Android system recovery? The one I have is for a ROM, so I'm guessing that won't work if I'm unable to get into my bootloader.

Also, my phone will obviously not go into a storage mode because of this. I do have an old BB Storm, can I use that to transfer any needed files onto the SD card?

Thanks.

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Were you using a custom ROM or stock?

pkbest

Reaction score
My phone will get to the logo screen and I can get into the hard reset recovery. My phone was rooted and I had a bootstrap installed, but I can no longer access it. I have tried leaving the battery out for a while, pulling the battery multiple times, and turning the phone on while holding the up arrow on the keyboard.

How can I fix this? Is there anyway to get an update.zip that I can use in the Android system recovery? The one I have is for a ROM, so I'm guessing that won't work if I'm unable to get into my bootloader.

Also, my phone will obviously not go into a storage mode because of this. I do have an old BB Storm, can I use that to transfer any needed files onto the SD card?

Thanks.

Did you hold the power button down while holding the Up arrow on the dpad? You should (generally) be able to get into Android Stock Boot Recovery.. to RSD Lite the droid 2.

Take out your battery, plug your phone into your PC. Slide out your keyboard and hold down the up arrow. Hold the power button down as well. Push in the battery.. you will see motorola's M come up... then it should go to black screen and have some lettering in White.

If it does not do it first time, try again, pulling the battery out.

Sounds to me as if it's not completely bricked. At least you get the Motorola M. I've heard worse :icon_eek: cases... where it was always just black screen.

Please post your findings.. I think we can walk you through pushing an SBF with RSD Lite 4.8. Are you familiar with this process?

D

dankarlinski

there is another option....

this is assuming that this was a random reboot issue, and you did not recently delete system files

1. Remove your battery
2. Open the Keyboard and hold down "x"
3. While holdinh down "x" insert the battery.
4. Continue to hold it, and hold down the power button to power the device on.
5. Keep holding "x" while the device is booting.it should boot into the stock recovery.
6. if you cannot see any text, press the search (mag glass) button.
7. Clear the cache/data using the onboard recovery
8. reboot and see if it will boot.

this method usually will help you boot after recently installing a new ROM if there are cache files that are bad. if this doesnot fix your issue, follow the above and we can walk you thru an SBF to reload back to stock

OP
W

Wingfire9

Reaction score
Thanks for your help guys. I was able to figure most of that out with my experience so far and looking through this forum, but I guess I was too tired last night to realize my mistake. Seeing you say "press Up" one more time made me realize that I was pressing the left arrow on the keypad (held lengthwise it seems like the up arrow and acts like an up arrow in the bootloader and Android recovery).

I was able to get into the bootloader screen. I will have to wait about 7 hours before I can get to a computer that I can connect this device to since I am at work, but it looks like I will be able to access it now.

I have not used an SBF or RSDlite before, but I downloaded both last night since I was about to install a new custom ROM. This issue happened when I followed the instructions on the rom installation and mounted then formatted (or vice versa) my system in clockwork. I was then going to install the ROM, but... well, that's where I'm at now. I did have another custom ROM on here previously, so what SBF should I use? I'm sure I can find instructions for RSDlite, so you don't have to explain it unless you think there are some extra steps I need for this situation.

Thanks again for your help.

One last thing, though not as important. One of the steps I tried last night was using the original update.zip I had stored on my flash drive, transfering it to my sd card by putting the sdcard into my old bb storm, and then I planned on going into the Android recovery option and installing it that way. I know that's not the way to do it now that I've looked around, but while I was transferring the file to my sdcard, I realized that no matter how many times I tried to load a file onto the sd card or how many times I tried deleting my pictures or other media files from it (figured I would clean up while my phone was dead), the new files wouldn't appear on the sd card and the old files would reappear whenever I reconnected the phone to my computer. Is this a problem or just a by product of my current situation? I also noticed that there is one file that I cannot delete, an old gaming pdf that I tried to download (book hasn't been available for sale for 10+ years so I'm pretty sure it's not illegal) using one of those direct-to-phone torrent apps in the app store. I don't know if maybe that has something to do with it.

Thanks again for all your help, I will try this out in about 7 hours if I have instructions by then and I will let you know how it worked.

MR. E

Reaction score
I'm having the same problem but can get to recovery mode and wipe factory reset. Get to the droid screen where it asks to press on it but does not respond from there. I tried unrooting. It said successful but how can I tell if I really am or not. Recovery mode is clockworkmode recovery. Please help. Need to take it to Verizon once I make sure. Thx

Thanks.

Did you hold the power button down while holding the Up arrow on the dpad? You should (generally) be able to get into Android Stock Boot Recovery.. to RSD Lite the droid 2.

Take out your battery, plug your phone into your PC. Slide out your keyboard and hold down the up arrow. Hold the power button down as well. Push in the battery.. you will see motorola's M come up... then it should go to black screen and have some lettering in White.

Sounds to me as if it's not completely bricked. At least you get the Motorola M. I've heard worse :icon_eek: cases... where it was always just black screen.

Please post your findings.. I think we can walk you through pushing an SBF with RSD Lite 4.8. Are you familiar with this process?

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Do you have terminal emulator?

I'm having the same problem but can get to recovery mode and wipe factory reset. Get to the droid screen where it asks to press on it but does not respond from there. I tried unrooting. It said successful but how can I tell if I really am or not. Recovery mode is clockworkmode recovery. Please help. Need to take it to Verizon once I make sure. Thx

Thanks.

DroidForums junkie!!

OP
W

Wingfire9

Reaction score
Well, it's fixed. I was able to get into the recovery mode. My problem was that I was pressing the left button on the d-pad since it looked like the up button when I was holding the phone length-wise. Once I got in there I was able to sbf my phone.

What I discovered is that my sd card was messed up. I had to buy a new sd card since I couldn't figure it out. For some reason all of the files on my sd card were slowly being corrupted and I think it got to a system file. Pictures that were fine before won't show up on the phone anymore. I'm going to see if I can make it work some how. At least I won't have to throw the card away then.

MR. E

Reaction score
Thank you. I was able to get it fixed and unroot it.