Stuck on exclamation point screen after root after OTA....HELP!!!!!

flooritnfly

Reaction score
Just rooted successfully.

After root I went into "Software Updates" to grab that ota update and it downloaded, powers down, starts to install/update, then switches to a a scary looking exclamation point screen and just sticks. The first time I had to yank the battery to start it back up. This time I am just waiting longer to see if something happens.

Help!!!

ziggy484

Reaction score
Just rooted successfully.

After root I went into "Software Updates" to grab that ota update and it downloaded, powers down, starts to install/update, then switches to a a scary looking exclamation point screen and just sticks. The first time I had to yank the battery to start it back up. This time I am just waiting longer to see if something happens.

Help!!!

What do you mean "this time"? Did you clear it by pulling the battery and then try the ota again? Why? If your rooted the ota wont work, or it will unroot you in the process. Just wait for a zip, the ota is nothing spectacular anyway

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

Larry_ThaGr81

Reaction score
Sorry about that, talk to the rescue squad. There one or two threads floating around that says to not use the official ota on a rooted TB.

Why am I not using my TB you ask. My droid needs some love too.

AthDruid

Reaction score
i got the same thing this morning. Rooted TB. Woke up to the !triangle with the droid guy. I popped the battery and restarted. The phone was ok, then started to power down, and it went to a screen with a "cardboard box" and had some progress bar. then it wen to the !triangle.

I rejected all OTA updates. what can i do?

ajodom10

Reaction score
Same Problem

I have been rejecting the update on my rooted Thunderbolt for about 2 weeks now because every time it updates, it restarts and I get the exclamation point error screen. To get it back up an running I have to restore an older backup but this is only a temporary fix as it will soon try the update again. Any ideas?

AthDruid

Reaction score
I have been rejecting the update on my rooted Thunderbolt for about 2 weeks now because every time it updates, it restarts and I get the exclamation point error screen. To get it back up an running I have to restore an older backup but this is only a temporary fix as it will soon try the update again. Any ideas?

from what i can tell if you are rooted, the update will do bad things to the phone. what i did when i got the !triangle was to press the menu button on my TB. Then i was brought up to a screen that had "wipe cache partition" as an option. i selected that. it rebooted the phone, and i didn't have any problems.

don't try to do an OTA update with a rooted phone

ajodom10

Reaction score
from what i can tell if you are rooted, the update will do bad things to the phone. what i did when i got the !triangle was to press the menu button on my TB. Then i was brought up to a screen that had "wipe cache partition" as an option. i selected that. it rebooted the phone, and i didn't have any problems.

don't try to do an OTA update with a rooted phone

Thanks. The problem I am having is that if I reject the update, it just comes back at a later time and asks again. If I'm not looking at my phone when this happens it does a 30 second (or something like that) count down and then does the update anyways. Then I come back to find my phone on the "Exclamation point" screen. Is there a way to truly turn off system updates? Thanks.