Stuck on CM boot screen

Discussion in 'Cyanogenmod' started by moot, Mar 10, 2011.

1. shawner47

shawner47 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    You won't be able to restore system data from anything before Gingerbread. THAT is what caused the boot loop. You *should* be able to restore your apps, but I went the safe route and just re-installed everything from the market.
    If you want to retain your text messages, get Backup to Gmail or a similar SMS backup program and you will be able to restore them once you are done with the upgrade.
    I would also consider replacing the stock kernel with another. I am not sure of the latest nightlies, but 29 had a problem with bootlooping using the stock kernel. I run deprimed and love it.

HTH,
    Shawn

2. Matchstick0311

Matchstick0311 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I flashed CM7 while using Liquid Frozen Yogurt and after I installed it I realized there were no gapps so I tried to flash those onto my phone and it powered off and was stuck on boot loop. I reflashed with RSD lite and phone turns on fine. If I power it off, it will do the same thing again so I have to reflash it. Any tips or advice?

3. sbenson

sbenson Silver Member

Ratings:
    +61
    This has been discussed thoroughly in another thread, the kernel is bad (that may be a harsh assumption, I should say it's not working for the majority of people). Flash a different kernel and you should be good to go. I suggest the deprimed kernel, it's amazing so far.

4. Matchstick0311

Ratings:
    +0
    Found the kernel, how can I install it? Sorry, Im new at this. . .

#16 Matchstick0311, Mar 29, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2011
  5. sbenson

sbenson Silver Member

Ratings:
    +61
    The link is in my signature.

Just boot into whatever recovery you have (spr, rz, clockwork) and install it like you would a rom. I believe in spr you'll have to rename it update.zip. In rz and cw you don't have to rename. It should only take a couple seconds to install.

Once you're done, reboot your phone. Go to settings > about phone, under kernel version it should mention deprimed #26, just to verify.

This runs pretty great as is, but if your phone can handle it, try running primes ulv (ultra low voltage) script and it should help battery life. To do this, go into the terminal and type:

su (press enter)
    primed (press enter)

After this it will tell you that you're now running ulv. If your phone can't handle it revert back to normal voltage:

su (press enter)
    deprime (press enter)

All of this can be found here. Good luck, I think you'll really like prime's work. I would strongly suggest his new bumblebee governor, it really flies!

6. sbenson

sbenson Silver Member

Ratings:
    +61
    If my explanation doesn't make sense or you need further help let me know.

7. Matchstick0311

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all your help buddy! I'm at work so when I get home from the office ill give it a shot. If I have any questions which I'm sure I will ill PM you. Most of this stuff has been trial and error for me, I'm self teaching.

8. Matchstick0311

Ratings:
    +0
    I tried to install the kernel with Clockwork and it doesnt let me. Im wondering if I actually have to rename it update.zip for it to work?

9. sbenson

sbenson Silver Member

Ratings:
    +61
    What does it say?

And no, you do not need to rename the file for it to work with clockwork.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

#21 sbenson, Mar 30, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2011
  10. cfclark

cfclark New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I realize I'm reviving an old thread but it seems to pertain best to my situation. I've installed the stable CM7 version on my Droid (A855) twice now, and hit the boot loop issue only on the second reboot after install. I thought I had missed a step, but apparently I've hit the same issue with TiBu twice, and only realized it once I saw this thread. Is it possible to avoid this by restoring only those apps from TiBu that are not Google apps, or should I avoid restoring any apps from TiBu? (I assume restoring data only should be fine, but I may be off base.)

I've been using the method that GirlLuvsDroid posted here a while back, and have had success with CM5 and CM6 (sticking to the stable releases only), and I have a good backup, so going back to previous configuration and starting again is no problem (although tedious). I'm using SPRecovery, so I know to rename each new .zip as I install it.

Lastly, does the advice upthread about subbing in a different kernel still hold?

Search tags for this page

cyanogenmod 7 stuck on boot screen

cyanogenmod boot screen
cyanogenmod stuck at boot screen
cyanogenmod stuck on boot screen
cyanogenmod stuck on loading screen
phone stuck on cyanogen boot screen
stuck on cyanogen 7 boot screen
stuck on cyanogen boot screen
stuck on cyanogenmod 7 boot screen
stuck on cyanogenmod boot screen