Stuck on CM boot screen

Discussion in 'Cyanogenmod' started by moot, Mar 10, 2011.

1. moot

moot New Member

I'm stuck on CM boot screen, not the Motorola boot screen (updated to CM 7 RC 2). Should I wait it out?

I should have backed up and did a wipe. I came from CM6. Any suggestions, or should I just restore?
  2. tribbey

tribbey New Member

it took me a LONG time to get through the boot screen but it finally got me through now my problem is the home button dont work
    so i would wait it out and see if its just gettin everything through the system but if it gets way out of hand i would reinstall it wiping everything of course
  3. Doc_PT

Doc_PT New Member

I couldn't really tell from the post but if you did not wipe when going from CM6 to CM7 you should have. I don't always wipe between CM7 nightlies but I believe CM6 was FROYO based and CM7 is GB based.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App
  4. pdroid

pdroid New Member

Wipe data+cache before installing.
  5. moot

moot New Member

Thanks all. I did a wipe, it booted fine. But once I restarted I'm once again in the CM 7 loading screen. I've waited for the past 5 minutes, but the arrow is still spinning.

Droid 1
  6. Doc_PT

Doc_PT New Member

Are you using the stock kernel?

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App
  7. 52brandon

52brandon New Member

Personally, I would re-download it and gapps to PC and mount USB storage in recovery, put it on your SD card, wipe all again and re-flash it
  8. shawner47

shawner47 New Member

Did you restore with TiBu? i did that and got the neverending boot screen too. I ended up wiping again, re-flashing and just installed the apps manually. All is well now.

Shawn
  9. moot

moot New Member

Ah, I see. I did restore with TiBu. I'm going to give it another go, and see what happens. Does this mean I'll no longer have access to my backed up data if I switch to CM7?
  10. 52brandon

52brandon New Member

You should be able to use titanium backup for specific apps and data. But not for the whole restore
  11. shawner47

shawner47 New Member

Right... THAT was my problem. Without thinking about it, I restored all apps+ system data and got the boot loop. You will want to go through the list before restoring and take out anything that is Google related (well, that's what I did anyway). I lost my old SMS messages, but i can live with that. I now back them up to my gmail account so no worries about that anymore.
  12. elimenohpee

elimenohpee New Member

It seems like I am having the exact same problem. I just tried flashing from the stock OS to CM7 on an original Droid. I backed up all my data and apps using titanium, but when I restore them after CM7 has installed and reboot, it hangs in the CM boot screen. I have a feeling it is because I'm restoring system settings from the stock OS, and this might be causing a glitch somewhere. Its done this twice now too, so it wasn't a fluke. My question is, what kind of backup do I need to perform with titanium? I want to restore all my system settings, but I want to do it in a way that won't prevent CM's install.

Any suggestions?
  13. shawner47

shawner47 New Member

You won't be able to restore system data from anything before Gingerbread. THAT is what caused the boot loop. You *should* be able to restore your apps, but I went the safe route and just re-installed everything from the market.
    If you want to retain your text messages, get Backup to Gmail or a similar SMS backup program and you will be able to restore them once you are done with the upgrade.
    I would also consider replacing the stock kernel with another. I am not sure of the latest nightlies, but 29 had a problem with bootlooping using the stock kernel. I run deprimed and love it.

HTH,
    Shawn
  14. Matchstick0311

Matchstick0311 New Member

I flashed CM7 while using Liquid Frozen Yogurt and after I installed it I realized there were no gapps so I tried to flash those onto my phone and it powered off and was stuck on boot loop. I reflashed with RSD lite and phone turns on fine. If I power it off, it will do the same thing again so I have to reflash it. Any tips or advice?
  15. sbenson

sbenson New Member

This has been discussed thoroughly in another thread, the kernel is bad (that may be a harsh assumption, I should say it's not working for the majority of people). Flash a different kernel and you should be good to go. I suggest the deprimed kernel, it's amazing so far.
  16. Matchstick0311

Found the kernel, how can I install it? Sorry, Im new at this. . .
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2011
  17. sbenson

sbenson New Member

The link is in my signature.

Just boot into whatever recovery you have (spr, rz, clockwork) and install it like you would a rom. I believe in spr you'll have to rename it update.zip. In rz and cw you don't have to rename. It should only take a couple seconds to install.

Once you're done, reboot your phone. Go to settings > about phone, under kernel version it should mention deprimed #26, just to verify.

This runs pretty great as is, but if your phone can handle it, try running primes ulv (ultra low voltage) script and it should help battery life. To do this, go into the terminal and type:

su (press enter)
    primed (press enter)

After this it will tell you that you're now running ulv. If your phone can't handle it revert back to normal voltage:

su (press enter)
    deprime (press enter)

All of this can be found here. Good luck, I think you'll really like prime's work. I would strongly suggest his new bumblebee governor, it really flies!
  18. sbenson

sbenson New Member

If my explanation doesn't make sense or you need further help let me know.
  19. Matchstick0311

Thanks for all your help buddy! I'm at work so when I get home from the office ill give it a shot. If I have any questions which I'm sure I will ill PM you. Most of this stuff has been trial and error for me, I'm self teaching.
  20. Matchstick0311

I tried to install the kernel with Clockwork and it doesnt let me. Im wondering if I actually have to rename it update.zip for it to work?
Search tags for this page
cyanogenmod 10 stuck on boot screen

cyanogenmod 7 stuck on boot screen

cyanogenmod boot screen
cyanogenmod stuck
cyanogenmod stuck at boot screen
cyanogenmod stuck on boot screen
cyanogenmod stuck on loading screen
phone stuck on cyanogen boot screen
stuck on cyanogen 7 boot screen
stuck on cyanogen boot screen
stuck on cyanogenmod 7 boot screen