Stuck on Android is Upgrading: Starting Applications

myfishbear

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
just do it factory reset it again flash the zip and pull the sdcard b4 it reboots. the ss3 junk on it is messing it up. also retry installing your adb drivers manually

Last edited:
OP
S

strakajagr

Reaction score
There is nothing on the external SD card except the 217 image.

The adb drivers have been manually installed. They work.

The factory reset and reflash didn't do anything. It never does. Same old problem.

myfishbear

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
There is nothing on the external SD card except the 217 image.

The adb drivers have been manually installed. They work.

The factory reset and reflash didn't do anything. It never does. Same old problem.
idk i had that problem with ss3 and was able to get out of it b4... try contacting hashcode via twitter cuz he made ss3

Last edited:
OP
S

strakajagr

Reaction score
I don't know why you think we have some similar problem. I have no idea why you think this has anything to do with SS3. I have explained that this isn't on my phone and it hasn't been. Furthermore, I was able, one time, to boot my phone, 3 weeks ago after trying a new USB cable, which led me to believe that that was the source of the problem. After installing a number of programs I rebooted my phone, only to find it, yet again, stuck on the blank screen after the M logo. SS3 was not installed when this briefly successful attempt was made.

myfishbear

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
you stated b4
I'm confused as to where you're having a problem. But to clarify what happened to me, what has not and seemingly cannot be resolved and I've sought some expert advice that now believe I have some kind of hardware problem, here it is:

I RSD'd my phone back to 217. It passed all tests on the RSD app. It wouldn't hang up on boot. I have tried every combination of factory reset/wipe data and wipe cache you can imagine. I have flashed it with ICS tools instead. ALL PASSED. Won't boot. There is NO safestrap because safestrap is software you install after you're running android. This phone is now stock, and won't boot. It will never again have or be able to have safestrap, unless I can get android to boot again.

There was a second when I thought the cable mattered, because it booted ONCE. Then rebooting hung back where it previously had.

I have since purchased a new D4 and done the exact same steps I did here, and it worked swimmingly. SS3, 2 used romslots. 1 has eclipse 1.3.5 and the other has AOKP's JB 11/3. It took about 10 minutes to put all that **** on the new one because it worked... exactly how it was supposed to and nothing like my POS former d4 behaved.

OP
S

strakajagr

Reaction score
haha... Exactly? I have no idea what you're suggesting, except that I repeat myself... cuz my phone has a demon in it and needs a priest.

myfishbear

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
haha... Exactly? I have no idea what you're suggesting, except that I repeat myself... cuz my phone has a demon in it and needs a priest.
i was figuring you didnt uninstall ss b4 u sbfed it. when that happened the sbf replaced the image and recovery but the phone was still lookin at the sd card for a rom instead of internal memory.

OP
S

strakajagr

Reaction score
So you're saying that RSD'ing via fastboot doesn't rewrite the entire internal SD drive. That does indeed suck. I haven't the foggiest of ideas how to get SS3 either reinstalled, or get into the phone to remove all instances thereof.

Furthermore, I am surprised it would be having this effect when android has already begun to load. You do realize that half the time I get a blank screen, and the other half I get "Android Updating Applications: 1 of etc etc" followed by "Android Upgrading: Starting Applications" and then hang there forever. Seems odd to me that SS3 would still be causing trouble this late in the boot process, but what do I know.

As it stands now, unless someone can figure out a way to access my phone's files, I'd say it's spun.

OP
S

strakajagr

Reaction score
I don't understand. I'm pretty sure I made this clear, but you keep referencing things like Rom slots and it makes me wonder. I don't have SS3 installed anymore. When the phone boots, it is NOT going through that screen. I can't be anymore clear. If there are residual files that house SS3, which are no longer being used (or least not used correctly) I have no idea how to get to them.

The bottom line is that there is no way to confirm SS3 has anything to do with anything either a) visually (seeing the SS3 bootup screen) or b) electronically (seeing physical files), unless of course, as I have stated, you can somehow get into my phone's internal storage. How you do that, I have no idea.

chemicalboy

Reaction score
The same to me. I cannot access to the internal files because the boot up of the phone is unsuccesfull. Blank screen always.

OP
S

strakajagr

Reaction score
You're kidding me... After 6 months, a utility that corrects all this, actually works? I'm downloading it now. This should be interesting...

chemicalboy

Reaction score
You're kidding me... After 6 months, a utility that corrects all this, actually works? I'm downloading it now. This should be interesting...

Its not the utility. Its the update of jellybean 4.1.2. Because we had problems with older version this fix everything.
I rooted and safestrap 1 minute ago. I am charging the battery and then i will install the AOSP 4.2.2.
Tell me what happen with your phone. I can do the reflash without battery because i had the factory cable.

OP
S

strakajagr

Reaction score
I'm charging the battery right now. It'll be good to go in about 10 more minutes.