Stuck on Android is Upgrading: Starting Applications

strakajagr

Reaction score
I have used the ICS Tool to go back to stock 217 and I've used RSD. Every single time I get past the upgrades (37 of 37) and it then says Starting Applications, it freezes and never finishes. After that if I force a power down and power back up, I get a black screen. Ugh. Does anyone know how to fix this?

kenji91

Reaction score
I have used the ICS Tool to go back to stock 217 and I've used RSD. Every single time I get past the upgrades (37 of 37) and it then says Starting Applications, it freezes and never finishes. After that if I force a power down and power back up, I get a black screen. Ugh. Does anyone know how to fix this?

I don't know if it's a fluke, but that happened to me once. I just re-flashed the ROM I had flashed and it worked.

MrNissan

Reaction score

MAybe something on your sdcard? What rom were you coming from? And which safestrap?

OP
S

strakajagr

Reaction score
Could it be possible something on my SD card could cause this? Nothing that I know of has changed with regard to it. Here is the skinny though:

I was running SS3 in Safe Mode and in the main Rom slot, I had AOKP's 10.22 JB 4.1.2 build. In the 2nd Rom slot, I had Eclipse 1.3.4. I kept having problems with Eclipse getting stuck in a boot loop and it was irritating me, so I decided to flash back to stock everything for a clean install.

I had previously been running 6.16.217 in normal (unsafe) mode, but I never ever used that mode. Anyway, I flashed today around noon and have been battling ever since. Neither RDS or ICS Tools seems to work. I mean they both get through easily, error free, but then I cannot actually boot into android. I sometimes hang up on the black screen after the dual boot logo. Sometimes I hang up on "Starting Applications" I'm honestly thinking, I'm beat and I have to get a new phone.

4low4fun

Reaction score
I keep reading warnings on ss3.. this may be one of those reasons why it is no bueno... did you try formatting your internal storage?

MrNissan

Reaction score
How do I do that?

if i understand correctly you are not able to get into safestrap either? If you are you can wipe both internal n external from wipe menu. Maybe try booting into recovery and reset to factory...this wont erase sdcards but maybe it will help getting it to boot completely...
mmaybe enter safe mode because it disables applications so you can troubleshoot. To get into safe mode...power down completely....hold the OOK button on ur qwerty and while holding press the power on button once...still continuing to hold OKK down until safe mode appears. i gonna try right now to verify procedure lol

OP
S

strakajagr

Reaction score
I don't have safestrap anymore either. When I installed ICS, I did a data wipe/factory reset from the Motorola recovery screen. So everything is gone.

OP
S

strakajagr

Reaction score
And it's officially history. RIP D4. It was charged 100% when all this began, but since it won't take a charge in this mode, it no longer can be flashed. There goes $300 bucks. Awesome.

4low4fun

Reaction score
strakajagr said:
And it's officially history. RIP D4. It was charged 100% when all this began, but since it won't take a charge in this mode, it no longer can be flashed. There goes $300 bucks. Awesome.

Its not a gonner bro! You can splice a charging cable and charge it manually. You then need to format internal memory and rsd the stock .217 back on and you're good!

MrNissan

Reaction score
How do I do that?
I was able to enter safe mode even with SS3.05..just held the ok button until it booted completely. I have only entered safe mode in the past accidently so am unable to say exaclty what can or cannot be done. i hope this helps.

OP
S

strakajagr

Reaction score
I take it back. I booted to BP Tools mode and it's taking a charge.

As far as SS3.05 goes. It's gone. I went to stock recovery and did a data wipe/factory reset and I flashed it with 6.16.217 via RSDLite. This is when the troubegan.

Since then I have tried unsuccessfully to resurrect it with RSD and ICS Tools. BOTH methods APPEAR to work as they flash the phone with no errors. However, it is after this that the phone either a) hangs on the black screen or b) gets to the point where it says android is upgrading, but then hangs indefinitely on starting applications.

This is where I am. I at least have a fresh charge so I can begin again. I think I need a new plan though.

OP
S

strakajagr

Reaction score
There's no way... but I just fixed it. I used a different USB cable (because the other one was intermittently losing connection) and it works. Unreal.