Stuck on 1X? How to get 3G back

badmeat

Reaction score
Still down in Cincinnati.

No 3g or 4g even while switching things on/off in 'LTE on/off' app. VZW said there's an outage and no ETA of when it will be fixed.....ugh!

UAV online

Reaction score
If you don't feel like monkeying around with the settings, there is a free app with a GUI that is a little easier to work with. Go to the Market and download "Phone Info".

Once installed, open the Phone Information menu, and select the "Set Preferred Network Type" dropdown. This has all of your various network type choices. You can pick CDMA to go with a 1G connection, "CDMA auto (PRL)" for the 1G/3G connection, or "CDMA + LTE/EvDo auto" once Verizon gets their act together and gets the LTE network back up.

Good luck and have fun.

That's a nifty app. Thanks for the heads up.

Note however that the current outage is affecting LTE (4G) and eHPRD (3G), so those of us in the outage area who want any 3G connection must disable eHPRD mode, as in Step 1 in the OP:

As most are aware both the LTE network and eHPRD are down (a special version of 3G for the Thunderbolt only). To get 3G data back you just need to change your settings back to the normal 3G network. Here are the steps:

Dial ##778# and hit send

A pop-up window named EPST will show up giving you 2 choices: View Mode and Edit Mode. Pick: Edit Mode.
Enter the Password: 000000
Go down to Modem Settings and pick “Rev A“
You’ll want to choose enable and click OK, hit the menu button and then press “Commit Modifications.”
Restart your phone and you should see 3G is working

Then you can use either the Phone Info or LTE OnOff app to set the preferred network type to CDMA auto (PRL) to maintain a steady 3G connection, i.e. to keep the phone from cycling through its options and thereby temporarily dropping the connection. And once the LTE network is back online, you can set it back to CDMA + LTE/EvDo auto.

I'm not sure the benefit of eHPRD, so I'm not sure why I'd want to turn it back on ever again.

Still down in Cincinnati.

No 3g or 4g even while switching things on/off in 'LTE on/off' app. VZW said there's an outage and no ETA of when it will be fixed.....ugh!

I have the LTE on/off app and it didn't seem to make a difference when I tried that...although I seem to be one of the few that is randomly getting literally NO network connection from time to time on here so far. my texts aren't even working half the time, and when is working I am on 1x only...

1X here in Boston, phone calls, texts & emails are working and I can still get online, just slower..

See above.

just got off the phone with verizon. use this phone for work (I'm an attorney) and specifically bought the thunderbolt less than two weeks ago just for that purpose. I've been stuck on 1X and/or without a network connection AT ALL since about 6 a.m. the first customer service rep I talked to basically told me to f%$# off and that she had no idea when the network would be restored. the second one told me they would issue me a day's worth of service credit to my account. it's worth a shot if you guys want to try calling. I'm pretty annoyed, I work a LOT on the go downloading documents/accessing engineering reports on remote ftp servers and I can't do anything with this phone right now but talk on it, it's just impossibly slow. I'm in Denver, for reference. the first customer service rep tried to blame it on storms in the area LOL, um, I don't think so...

I know how you feel. I've had my own struggles with Verizon store employees, customer service and tech support.

I think you'll find that (like it or not) none of those people know any more about the phones, networks, etc than you do. You will have much more success finding solutions to your problems on forums like this than calling and asking one of these "warm bodies" for help. The only good reason I can think of to step foot into a Verizon store is either to play with the new phones or get a warranty exchange---which, fortunately, the reps are ready, willing, and able to do. And unless you have a billing question, calling 611 for tech support is at best an exercise in futility.

Just my two cents.

Last edited:

ninefall

Reaction score
The 3G hack killed my text messaging. As soon as I switched back to eHPRD I got 10 texts. Weird. Guess Im stuck on 1X til its fixed. Anyone else have that problem?

5280TBOLT

Reaction score
I apologize but I am new to all of this.

Woke up this morning to a 1x and figured it had something to do with the juice defender app I loaded before bed last night (told you I'm a noob). So I uninstalled it and restarted my phone and still nothing. I got that Phone Info app and switched to CDMA auto (PRL) but that didn't help either. I am in eastern Washington and outside of a the 4G coverage area but my coworker has a Droid 1 and is on 3G right now??

Any help would be appreciated??

ninefall

Reaction score
I apologize but I am new to all of this.

Woke up this morning to a 1x and figured it had something to do with the juice defender app I loaded before bed last night (told you I'm a noob). So I uninstalled it and restarted my phone and still nothing. I got that Phone Info app and switched to CDMA auto (PRL) but that didn't help either. I am in eastern Washington and outside of a the 4G coverage area but my coworker has a Droid 1 and is on 3G right now??

Any help would be appreciated??
Read this thread. All your questions are answered already.

Reaction score
Just follow what it says to do in the very first post of this thread. It works great.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

neckbreak

Reaction score
Stuck in 1x in central Illinois. Using my WiFi where possible.

rtb

Reaction score
Stuck on 1X in Chicago. I couldn't send a text or call for a while. Navigation is slow and
has caused me to miss appointments today - really sucks!

TRIKOTRET

Reaction score
So no eta when 4G is coming back

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
just got off the phone with verizon. use this phone for work (I'm an attorney) and specifically bought the thunderbolt less than two weeks ago just for that purpose. I've been stuck on 1X and/or without a network connection AT ALL since about 6 a.m. the first customer service rep I talked to basically told me to f%$# off and that she had no idea when the network would be restored. the second one told me they would issue me a day's worth of service credit to my account. it's worth a shot if you guys want to try calling. I'm pretty annoyed, I work a LOT on the go downloading documents/accessing engineering reports on remote ftp servers and I can't do anything with this phone right now but talk on it, it's just impossibly slow. I'm in Denver, for reference. the first customer service rep tried to blame it on storms in the area LOL, um, I don't think so...
I appreciate the fact you need your 3G for work. I would not call and demand any credit though. If you were my lawyer and I asked for a discount because you didn't show up for an appointment with me on time, you wouldn't give me a day's credit I'm sure. In other words, things happen, sometimes they happen beyond our control.

cholulagirl

Reaction score
ha I was wondering when the lawyer comparisons would start.

I didn't "demand" credit. I called to ask when they expected the network to be back up and the first rep said no idea, I asked to talk to someone who would know, the second one told me it was a nationwide issue and offered me the credit.

I either haven't had service at all (as in, no network connection whatsoever) or I have had very limited (as in, not the service I contracted for) for the entire day so far. I'm guessing that's why they offered me the entire day's worth of credit. I don't bill by the day, so you're right, if I showed up late for an appointment, I wouldn't give you a discount on a full days worth of work. Regardless of whether I was late or on time, I would still only charge you for the time I actually spent with you or working on your case, documented down to minute increments.

Not that how I bill is in any way relevant to this thread at all, I just want to point out that was an apples to oranges comparison. People are frustrated and wondering what the word is from verizon, and I tried to provide the information I had just received from them. I thought that was the point of forums...

also wanted to add my credit was $5. woohoo, but at least they are trying. not sure how people are talking about paying $30 for talk/text/data through verizon, but I want that plan :)

Last edited:

darkuni

Reaction score
Is there a page at Verizon or somewhere we can see when the Network is restored?

Thanks for the fix - worked great. Standard 3G in Phoenix is dead slow - so I want my TBolt 3G back soon :)

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
has anyone tested whether or not a phone will activate under the current situation?