Stuck on 1X? How to get 3G back

OP
W

wakestrong

Reaction score
followed the intructions thanks again, seem to be still on the 1x instead of 3g, anyone else having troubles?

talked to verizon wireless, of course they had no time frame and could not tell me anything other then the network was down and they were trying to repair it.

Did you execute the last step?

dial *#*#4636#*#* then set to CDMA auto (PRL) via network settings

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
My corporate rep told us today that the outage was due to storm damage :icon_eek:. Must have been one heck of a storm! :icon_ banana:

there were definitely some nasty storms that moved through some parts of the country yesterday/last night

alboboy10

Reaction score
When doing ##778 you do have data and talk...I just tried it before.

I don't know exactly what this thing did, but 3G is at least showing up once in a while.

Once the 4G outage problem is solved will we have to switch from enabled to the original again to get 4G again or no?

OP
W

wakestrong

Reaction score
My corporate rep told us today that the outage was due to storm damage :icon_eek:. Must have been one heck of a storm! :icon_ banana:

Must have been a thunderbolt to the jugular! There were some crazy tornadoes in Texas. I wonder where the main hub for all this LTE stuff is? I know San Fran is AT&T's main hub. Anyone that can answer where or if there is a main hub for the LTE?

bclinsure

Reaction score
So that we are clear on this, to go back and change the settings back to the 4g, what are the exact steps (I know, I'm just slow)?

OP
W

wakestrong

Reaction score

I don't know exactly what this thing did, but 3G is at least showing up once in a while.

Once the 4G outage problem is solved will we have to switch from enabled to the original again to get 4G again or no?

Yes as well as go back to CDMA + LTE/EvDo auto if you changed that setting.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score

there were definitely some nasty storms that moved through some parts of the country yesterday/last night

If by nasty you mean powerful, windy, pouring, distructive, then yeah they were nasty and they heading toward nashville. I would not be surprised if that is why lte is down.

alboboy10

Reaction score

ah ok cool so this is just a temporary thing.

I read somewhere (maybe this thread...there's like a million threads regarding this problem just today) that this fixes gps as well. I haven't tested it yet, but my gps has been MESSED UP. I don't get the blue dot with a big circle around it (before I used to)...And when I put GPS on, still can't locate me with the big circle, let alone to an exact spot.

Tosc0012

Reaction score
followed the intructions thanks again, seem to be still on the 1x instead of 3g, anyone else having troubles?

talked to verizon wireless, of course they had no time frame and could not tell me anything other then the network was down and they were trying to repair it.

Did you execute the last step?

dial *#*#4636#*#* then set to CDMA auto (PRL) via network settings

No i did not overlooked that, thanks for the help

OP
W

wakestrong

Reaction score
So that we are clear on this, to go back and change the settings back to the 4g, what are the exact steps (I know, I'm just slow)?

Original Post has been edited for instructions to go back when 4G is on.

bclinsure

Reaction score

Are you saying that since I never changed the CDMA+LTE/EvDo setting, all I would have to do is reverse what I changed (the ##778# thing)? And I don't have to do anything else (the *#*#4636#*#* thing)?

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Crap. 4G in Cleveland just went out. Yay for 1X.

OP
W

wakestrong

Reaction score

Are you saying that since I never changed the CDMA+LTE/EvDo setting, all I would have to do is reverse what I changed (the ##778# thing)? And I don't have to do anything else (the *#*#4636#*#* thing)?

Correct, you got away with the minimum

CaptainCornbread

Reaction score
I think this might be easier for some o' you newbs.

If you don't feel like monkeying around with the settings, there is a free app with a GUI that is a little easier to work with. Go to the Market and download "Phone Info".

Once installed, open the Phone Information menu, and select the "Set Preferred Network Type" dropdown. This has all of your various network type choices. You can pick CDMA to go with a 1G connection, "CDMA auto (PRL)" for the 1G/3G connection, or "CDMA + LTE/EvDo auto" once Verizon gets their act together and gets the LTE network back up.

Good luck and have fun.

Z06_Mir

Reaction score
At 1am or so this morning I only had 1x and I thought my phone was acting up. It took like 10 minutes to download an app.. normally takes 1 or 2 seconds! Now 3G is working in Phoenix... I sure miss 4G though. Come back soooooon.