"Stuck" Keys and Keypress Fails on Hard Keyboard.

Sandran

Reaction score
I am having this problem with all apps. (Browser, text, email, contacts, phone) I am stock, but up to date on all updates. I just called tech support level 2 and was told it is a hardware problem, and of course my phone is just over a year old. Any other suggestions?

kabeeo

Reaction score
No leaked update. I have always had a problem with my alt key and space bar not registering properly.

norcal1900

Reaction score
I'm having the same problem Verizon is sending me a phone lol

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

NoBloatware

Reaction score
Have experienced this on more than one Droid 3. My current one has trouble with the space bar. I may call tonight to see if they'll replace it. Beautiful looking keyboard--too bad it sucks.

dopeskwyd

Reaction score
I haven had a prob with alt, space, or bspace but more often than not my "t" button will no register a keypress. This has really messed up some messages due to autocorrect not seeing a t in certain words

sent from a thing using an app

NoBloatware

Reaction score
My refurb is on the way. I finally had it with the space bar funking up everythinglikeihadgonenuts.

I dialed *611 and was automatically asked to call back from another phone so I did. I described the problem and rather quickly he said he'd have to get level 2 support involved.

To level 2 I described the problem again as completely and precisely as possible: Left side of spacebar sometimes ignores clicks, sometimes registers multiple. Button sensor under left side is defective. Press the left side, it registers a click but then you can press harder and a second click is felt. Try any other key on the keyboard, including the right side of the spacebar and there is no defect...it just clicks in once.

They asked me how long I'd been having the problem, if I had an auto task killer or antivirus (of course not), and whether I had tried battery pulls. I answered their questions but after the battery pull one I said yes but I was pretty much 100% sure that it was a physical problem, because of the double-click thing happening. Thankfully, they didn't want me to do a factory reset.

The whole thing including hold time took 15 minutes and my next D3 is on it's way. Very easy. When it gets here I'll go thru my old phone and back up all app data, etc. It'll be fun to set up the phone again. I've done it so many times...

Either what I've experienced is a fluke or the Droid 3 is a big ol' lemon. The "A" key on my second one acted just like this spacebar problem. I kept it anyway until the WIFI burned out. Right out of the box, part of the replacement's screen wasn't touch sensitive. Who certified that "like new", a blind man? Too bad about the screen because the keyboard was perfect. I think the keyboard on my first D3 might have been perfect too. Unfortunately, I decided to send it back for a new replacement during the 14 day period. It had one measly pixel that wouldn't turn black. I probably should have kept it because it was extremely easy to ignore. And believe it or not the replacement had about 15 of those dead pixels. They were easy to ignore. I even ignored the physical keyboard problems until today. Enough is enough. I bought this phone because of the keyboard!

A bit of a rant, but despite all of it I still love the Droid 3! The thing rocks. I just hope I get a good one now. The level 2 tech support lady said she gets hardly any calls about the Droid 3.

Last edited:

NoBloatware

Reaction score
Update: got my like new replacement and all is well again. No more physical keyboard glitches. If you're having trouble with the physical keyboard I strongly encourage you to try to get a replacement.

JPT

Reaction score
Update: got my like new replacement and all is well again. No more physical keyboard glitches. If you're having trouble with the physical keyboard I strongly encourage you to try to get a replacement.

I'm planning on doing that soon. My space bar sucks...seems to be the left side doesn't register clicks more often than not. Also, the "n" and "m" keys have issues along with "4" and "5." So it's not just isolated to one section or side of the keyboard. The "n" and "m" keys are right above the right side of the space bar, yet the left side of the space bar causes me the most issues (and I seem to hit that side of it the most). "4" and "5" are probably the worst though. This happens with texting, email and forum postings.