Stuck in Boot Loop! Please Help me fix it please.

Mojo

Reaction score
Issue:
Woke up to phone dead (as in the battery), I plugged into wall outlet and phone started into boot loop. Only get to the "M" and reboots.

ROM:
Ultimate Droid 9.8, with the UD Stock Kernel.

ROM Modifications:
Changed the boot animation yesterday to "Android peeing on Apple" from this thread http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-hacks/36447-new-droid-peeing-apple-boot-animation.html
Used terminal to install using these commands.
su
mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system
dd if=/sdcard/bootanimation.zip of=/system/media/bootanimation.zip
Reboot

Things I have tried to resolve:
I first tried to do a battery pull then reboot. This only resulted in same bootloop.

I tried to boot into SPRecovery and flash Nandroid backup of UD 9.8. Resulted in bootloop.

I tried to restore backup with wipe data/ factory reset and wipe cache. Still resulted in bootloop.

I tried not only my Nandroid backup but the origanal Nandroid I used to go to UD 9.8

I have tried to flash to a Nadroid of DroidMod. Resulted in bootloop. (I have restored my Nandroid of UD 9.8, but it is still in bootloops)

Things I am in Process of doing:
I am currently going to download the SDK so I may use ADB. As I know I will have to use it I am sure. So I have a few questions before I down load.

Question 1:
I am going to download from the links in this thread http://www.droidforums.net/forum/hacking-help/30464-how-adb-why-i-love-adb-commands-3-a.html is this what I need?

Question 2: In the Moto USB and Charging link there is to pc charging driver links, what one do I use? (BTW I have XP for a opporating system)

Question 3:
On the Android SDK what all do I need to download from that page? There is things for eclipse and so on... do I need that?

Last but not least once I down load and have everything installed what do I do from there? I hope I outlined my issue in a clear discription. And I hope some one can and will help me get this going. And please only respond if you know what you are doing. I need this thread on topic, direct, and to the point. Thank you in advance for help.

Last edited:

jbg25

Reaction score
did you try this?

Yes...for adbshell you need your phone your pc the usb cable...and this

Android Debug Bridge | Root Your Droid

Also...download a clean version of http://www.regalgs.net/droid/UltimateDroidV9/UltimateDroid_9.8.0-Nextheme.zip . right click the file and rename (only change the "UltimateDroid_9.8.0-Nextheme" and replace it with "update" so before you hit enter it should say update.zip (IF you are on Windows 7 this will be different and you will leave of the .zip part I believe)

Boot into recovery
- mount options->Enable USB Mass Storage
- when the drive loads to the PC and you open the folder to explore...you should see everything on your sdcard
- copy the file named "update.zip" to the root (main) menu of your sdcard.
- once it has finished copying -> disable USB Mass Storage.

open cmd promt window on your pc and launch adb shell
- when it opens you should see a "#"
- if not tell us what you did exactly and what you see so we can help
- once you see the # the rest should work... (in each case you should get a response in the following line essentially repeating back what you typed (and in some cases like formatting will tell you it is complete)
type
Code:
su
sysrw
format:SYSTEM
format:BOOT
sysrw
exit
Then make sure you back out to the main menu in SPrecovery

wipe data/factory reset
wipe cache partition

*REPEAT ALL*

Then go to

Install->Allow update.zip->Install /sdcard/update.zip (depricated)

You should be good to go!

jbg25

Reaction score
forget eclipse and all that other crap.

the moto driver depends on your version of windows...32 vs 64...you have to figure that out. If you install the wrong one it will tell you and you can just download the other.

as for what to do once you have shell up and running...

just follow the instructions from my post above

OP
Mojo

Mojo

Reaction score
No I did not. I did not know that was directed for me to follow. I was thrown off with the "NexTheme" instructions since I have never used that theme nor want to use that theme.

OP
Mojo

Mojo

Reaction score
forget eclipse and all that other crap.

the moto driver depends on your version of windows...32 vs 64...you have to figure that out. If you install the wrong one it will tell you and you can just download the other.

as for what to do once you have shell up and running...

just follow the instructions from my post above

Okay cool. Thank you. I will give this a shot. I will post back when I have it up and going. BTW I belive I have win 32 bit. It does not say 64bit on my laptop anywhere

jbg25

Reaction score
No I did not. I did not know that was directed for me to follow. I was thrown off with the "NexTheme" instructions since I have never used that theme nor want to use that theme.

I only recommended that as with an update.zip...I feel I often get cleaner installs. IF you want the stock..you can apply theme after we get you going.

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Issue:
Woke up to phone dead (as in the battery), I plugged into wall outlet and phone started into boot loop. Only get to the "M" and reboots.

The phone was unplugged, drained overnight and had no charge this morning. You plugged it in, and made your first post about 15 minutes ago. How long has it been on charge for?

edit: and did everything work fine yesterday?

jbg25

Reaction score
Issue:

The phone was unplugged, drained overnight and had no charge this morning. You plugged it in, and made your first post about 15 minutes ago. How long has it been on charge for?

Wow...I just assumed he had let it charge for a bit before panicking...but...I should have asked this first....good call...hopefully it is this simple

OP
Mojo

Mojo

Reaction score
Issue:

Yes everything did work fine yesterday. I woke up around 6am noticed my phone was not on the charger, picked it up went to turn it on and it would not turn on. I plugged it in to a wall outlet, it turned on to the Moto logo and immeaditly started into a boot loop. I have left it plugged in since that time. I have accessed the forums first via my wifes bb Storm.. I am currently able to access via a laptop now as I tethered her phone.

jbg25

Reaction score
Issue:

Yes everything did work fine yesterday. I woke up around 6am noticed my phone was not on the charger, picked it up went to turn it on and it would not turn on. I plugged it in to a wall outlet, it turned on to the Moto logo and immeaditly started into a boot loop. I have left it plugged in since that time. I have accessed the forums first via my wifes bb Storm.. I am currently able to access via a laptop now as I tethered her phone.

So I assume the phone has been charging all this time and you still get M boot loop?

OP
Mojo

Mojo

Reaction score
hmmmm.... Now I am even more confused. LOL. Since you made a point about the battery, I decided to try a different charger altogether. Because it has been on the charger all this time and it did not appear to be taking a charge. I plugged it in to another outlet with a different charger and it booted finally! But now I am stuck on the android "touch to begin" screen. I am going to leave it for a while to get enough charge on it to be able to try to reboot with out it being on a charger.

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
hmmmm.... Now I am even more confused. LOL. Since you made a point about the battery, I decided to try a different charger altogether. Because it has been on the charger all this time and it did not appear to be taking a charge. I plugged it in to another outlet with a different charger and it booted finally! But now I am stuck on the android "touch to begin" screen. I am going to leave it for a while to get enough charge on it to be able to try to reboot with out it being on a charger.

I'm still trying to figure out the little led next to the usb port on the phone. I plug in and it lights up. When you get a chance see if it does that with both chargers. Phone screen facing the ceiling, cord in the phone, little white light just to the left of the outlet. Mine is not doing it now but the batterylife widget I am using says I'm already at 100% charge.

It sounds like you managed to wipe the phone but should be able to do a nandroid restore once it charges some more. Keep us informed, good luck.

OP
Mojo

Mojo

Reaction score
Okay.. so now I have the phone booted and it is charging. Still needs another 20 min of charge I am sure before I should take it off of the charger. But what is doing now... 1) it is constantly force closing "voice search" and it is not showing any type of signal at the top. it just has a "x" where the 3g signal is. So from this point what is the steps to get it stable?