Stuck in a loop!

smoonyheim

Reaction score
My incredible keeps going from the "Htc incredible" screen when booting up to the recovery screen.

I think the clockwork restore maybe corrupted.

I'll try and delete the cache's and data, but i simply get put right back to recovery when i try and reboot.

NO idea what to do, and i'm kinda freaking out =\

The error i'm getting is "invalid command argument"

Last edited:

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
1) your phone reboots going to the recovery screen
2) being able to delete cache and data but ending up in recovery indicates you get into recovery but can't fully boot the phone

Those 2 items are at conflict with each other.

How long has your phone been rooted for? (have you done this for a while or is this your first attempt and something has gone wrong?)
If you can get into recovery can you restore your last known backup?
If you don't have a backup can you reset your phone back to stock?

I wouldn't freak out, your phone will most likely be fine. While I don't own an Inc someone will come along that does, if the above doesn't help.

I've also moved this to the RS inc help section from the RS Guides section for you.

OP
S

smoonyheim

Reaction score
here i'll runn through what happens.

I press the power button,

i go to the "htc incredible screen" and it vibrates

It goes black for a few seconds.

Goes back to the "htc incredible screen"

then enters clockwork recovery.

I'll try and delete cache/data/etc. and then reboot only to end up back in recovery.

I've been rooted for about a week and a half using unrevoked.

I was trying to use unrevoked forever to turn NAND off.

The reason i'm having trouble is that when i try and reload my backup/restore, it'll restore it, reboot, and go back to recovery.

This is leading me to believe that the file is corrupted.

and this sis where my knowledge sorta ends =\

doug piston

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
here i'll runn through what happens.

I press the power button,

i go to the "htc incredible screen" and it vibrates

It goes black for a few seconds.

Goes back to the "htc incredible screen"

then enters clockwork recovery.

I'll try and delete cache/data/etc. and then reboot only to end up back in recovery.

I've been rooted for about a week and a half using unrevoked.

I was trying to use unrevoked forever to turn NAND off.

The reason i'm having trouble is that when i try and reload my backup/restore, it'll restore it, reboot, and go back to recovery.

This is leading me to believe that the file is corrupted.

and this sis where my knowledge sorta ends =\

This seems like a bad rom to me. I would try downloading a new rom and flashing it to the phone. If you can get into recovery you can mount the sd by going into mounts and storage>mount usb. This way you can still get the rom on the sd card. Then chose "install from from sd card" and find the rom you just dl'd and flash it.

With how sensitive these Incredible's are to kernels I would try to find one that is running a stock kernel. That way if you are still having the issue it will cut out one variable.

Also if you were on 2.2 when you rooted, the unrevoked tool already did s-off for you. Noe need to try and flash it again.

OP
S

smoonyheim

Reaction score
well i was led to believe that there was a problem with NAND staying off and allowing to me to flash roms onto my my phone. i'd try and flash a rom onto my phone and it would load for about two seconds and go back to the recovery screen again, so i don't know if that means my root is bad or something.

Is there a way to use someone else's backup of a droid inc. to restore and then do a data and cache wipe, and then just resync contacts through google? i'd be willing to lose my app's if i hate to to have a working phone =\

doug piston

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Even in the aearly days of rooting the incredible if you were in recovery you had full nand unlock. Wasn't till recently we got it so nand was unlocked while booted.

So try a new rom and make sure you select install from sd card and not apply update.zip.

Vikam

Reaction score
My incredible keeps going from the "Htc incredible" screen when booting up to the recovery screen.

I think the clockwork restore maybe corrupted.

I'll try and delete the cache's and data, but i simply get put right back to recovery when i try and reboot.

NO idea what to do, and i'm kinda freaking out =\

The error i'm getting is "invalid command argument"

Clock your Rom Manager back to a previous flash that worked, i have some problems with the newest version of Rom Manager also, bootloops can also be a problem with the kernel you are running on your phone, but i would try and flash back to a previous version of clockwork.

OP
S

smoonyheim

Reaction score
how do i clock to the previous version if i'm stuck inside clockwork?

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
Copy a new ROM to the SD card, be it through a reader or Clockwork if Clockwork will let you mount USB storage, wipe repeatedly, and then try installing the new ROM.

OP
S

smoonyheim

Reaction score
Copy a new ROM to the SD card, be it through a reader or Clockwork if Clockwork will let you mount USB storage, wipe repeatedly, and then try installing the new ROM.

i hate to ask how many time's repeatedly is, but i'll get back to you on the progress!

OP
S

smoonyheim

Reaction score
ya, i did it MANY times, as in like 10 for the cache and data and delvik.

on another forum i was asked what error's i'm getting in hboot.

here they are. maybe this can help?

in hboot (i can get into it) it'll say

"sd checking...

loading... pb31diag.zip
no image!
loading... [pb31diag.nbh]
no image or wrong image!
loading...pb31img.zip
no image!
loading...[pb31img.nbh]"

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
That will be a help for someone more familiar with the Incredible than I.

Is this before or after trying to install the ROM you just downloaded onto the card?

OP
S

smoonyheim

Reaction score
it's from before, and is still doing it. i'm really kinda nervous, cause despite the fact i'm pretty tech savvy, this is a little over my head, the rooting was pretty simple, mostly cause unrevoked did it for me, but then i tried to flash skyraider.

What would happen is in clockwork, it would open the update, then go straight back to the recovery home screen.

So i thought it was an error so i would reboot.

Everything was fine i get back into stock htc sense and no problems.

I read on the unrevoked website that unrevoked3 does not do nand off, just s-off.

So i then try to do unrevoked forever for the incredible.

It does the same thing as skyraider when trying to install. it'll open the zip and then go STRAIGHT to the recovery screen. So i knew that it wasn't the rom but probably something else.

I'm definitely gonna be on for at least another hour and a half, so i'll respond pretty quickly to any questions or advice =\

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
I can understand the nervousness. These aren't cheap toys we're messing with. :)

There's a guy on here who also works on a sister site dedicated entirely to the Incredible:

HTC Incredible Forum

If you haven't checked it out, I'd recommend you do since I'm not savvy on this too much.