Stuck in 3G where Droid Charge has 2 bars in 4G.

dan.dar

Reaction score
Just posted it on Motorola's support forums. I wonder if they will respond.

This was in Southington CT (route 10). Outside I had 4G, went inside Home Depot, stuck in 3G. Went back out, 4G, went to Shoprite across route 10 and checked my phone after couple minutes there and it was in 3G. In both instances my wife's droid Charge stayed in 4G.

Right now, sitting at home I have 3 bars in 3G, my wife's Droid Charge has 2 bars in 4G. I think you're getting the drift.

I was able to temporarily bring the phone back to 4G by goig to airplane mode then back, but it would go back to 3G soon after. I saw in other 4G thread an answer about Razr HD having different antennas, but thought it was irrelevant to the issue with this phone. What I haven't seen is Motorola acknowledging that there may be an issue and they are working on it.

I'm into day 4 with this phone and decision time is coming on whether to keep it or not. 3G is strong, wifi is strong but 4G seems to be abandoned too soon in favor of 3G. When in 4G, on two bars this phone has faster download speeds than the Droid Charge.

Ps. Just went into airplane mode and back. Phone is showing 2bars in 4G and between -107 and -114dBm. 4bars and between -77 and -84dBm in 1x depending on whether and how I'm holding it.

Pps. Mobile Network is set to LTE / CDMA.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, do you drop data ever, or does it seem to simply not be able (or by software choice) to stay in 4G?

I haven't looked over there yet, but I know another guy has posted about a similar issue, in quite a few places.

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Tapatalk 2

sonik

Reaction score
There was a sim card issue/heads up posted a few days ago. Hard to tell if this is even remotely related but may be worth looking into.

OP
D

dan.dar

Reaction score
Not quite sure what you mean. I don't do big downloads, I just want information fast. It just seems that by software choice the phone doesn't want to stay in 4G. Or rather when it decides to drop down to 3G it doesn't seem to want to go back up to 4G unless it gets at least 3bars. Probably chosen to improve battery life. I wish that decision was up to the user. Now after 17 hours of my normal use the battery is still at 47%.

sonik

Reaction score
Here it is(sorry had to switch to pc for linking):

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...na-sim-card-issues-brandy-new-razr-m-fyi.html

Incase you're not 'in the know', your phone actually has two cards, a micro sdcard(for downloads etc), and a sim card(for network related stuff I'm not going to even pretend to understand). It appears there was a bad batch of sim cards sent out, perhaps this is related to your issue or maybe not.

I have also read a few times that these phone's (the razrm) do seem to have a bit weaker reception than some other phones. If interested there is a way to disable lte but I don't think that's what you're looking to do. (mine has 4g issues as well.. may start a thread describing them)

AmishButcher

Reaction score
Yeah, I recieved a bad sim card at Verizon at time of purchase, 9/22. Rep told me, after 25 minutes of waiting for initial boot, that it was because the phone was new and everyone had em shipped out and was trying to activate em at once (no seriously). So after 2 hours of trying at work bc I didn't have more time to wait at Verizon, I called technical support and they identified the SIM card as being from a bad batch. Phone never booted until I got a new SIM...after choose a language screen it immediately said "No SIM card detected" and powered off. That was a fun day.