Struggling with this ADB thing

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by Nick177th, May 13, 2011.

1. Nick177th

Nick177th Member

Ratings:
    +0
    any help would be greatly appreciated. I currently have a rooted Droid 1. Thinking of upgrading to a Droid charge. However, I will not do it unless I can root it. I took the short cut a while back and rooted my Droid with easy root. Currently, there are no one click root methods for the Charge. I am trying to learn how to root the long way. Well, the semi long way using adb. I am trying to go step by step (albeit baby steps) and learn how to go into my device using adb. I downloaded the drivers for my device (although I think they were already d/l'd properly), d/l'd the android sdk files, and tried to follow the steps on the "unlockr" site to get into my device.

Everytime I get to the command line where you type in "adb devices", I get a "adb is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch files". can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong? again, any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. pistol_pete

pistol_pete Member

Ratings:
    +0
    there's a little more to this than meets the eye. try reading this.

3. pistol_pete

pistol_pete Member

Ratings:
    +0
    at least the first part 1-16. there's more information in there for if you wanna get into decompiling apks later but the first part should help you get your environment variable paths set up properly.

4. Nick177th

Nick177th Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Pete. Will get right on it.

5. Nick177th

Nick177th Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Pete, maybe it's because I'm a noob but, that guide was way too much. Is all that really necessary to get past the point I mentioned in my first post? All I'm trying to do is to be able to root. I did the Java stuff, d/l'd all files that I was prompted to in SDK manager, followed instructions to the tee and still nothing. Is there another guide that is not quite so labor intensive?

6. pistol_pete

pistol_pete Member

Ratings:
    +0
    You mentioned that you were having trouble with your pc being able to execute the adb command. This is usually (in my experience) caused by improper paths in the environment variables as long as you have java installed and the latest android sdk. Adb command at executed through the command prompt on your pc. In order for the commands to be routed through the sdk to your phone, the pathways need to be properly set up. The guide I pointed you to should be very helpful in that respect.

7. Nick177th

Nick177th Member

Ratings:
    +0
    This isn't going to be as easy as I thought Pete. LOL! I'll figure it out. I'll read through the guide again. The fact that I have no idea what I'm doing doesn't help but, I like a challenge. Thanks for your help with pointing me in the right direction. I have a buddy that's IT. He can probably make me smart on this stuff.

I can follow directions, it's just that I like to know why I'm doing what I'm doing. Thanks again Pete.

Search tags for this page
'adb'+is+not+recognized+as+an+internal+or+external command
adb doesnt recognize internal or external command
adb is not recognized as an internal or external

adb is not recognized as an internal or external command

adb is not recognized as internal or external

adb is not recognized in command prompt

how to recognized your adb devices as an internal external c
root adb is not recognized as an internal or external comman
to fix adb not internal or external command
use adb environment variable