Strong, Durable Charging Cord?

hAHAha Halo

Reaction score
This is beginning to annoy me, but every charger I get eventually begins to tear at the point where the cord meets the head of the charger, exposing the wires. I'll include a picture with this post to show what I'm talking about, but does anybody have a recommendation for a durable charging cord? I have a Droid Bionic, and the charging port isn't in an ideal location when it comes to using the phone while charging. The port is on the bottom left hand side of the phone, which often bends the cord at an angle because the plugin will often be at a lower level than your phone, as well as gravity. If the port were on the bottom of the phone, most of the time the cord wouldn't be bent. Anyways, does anyone have a suggestion for a charger? I'm thinking of getting one of the ones that wind up, or getting a standard charger that's more durable, but I don't know where to look. Can anyone help me?
2013-03-04_16-04-25_171[1].jpg2013-03-04_16-03-35_884[1].jpg

xxwabbit

Reaction score
I bought a 90 degree for my D1, but make sure you select the right one as there are left and right hand ones. On my D1, the cord runs down the side of the phone instead of up which makes for easy phone holding. I'm not sure which one I got though.

OP
hAHAha Halo

hAHAha Halo

Reaction score
Just placed an order for one of these: http://www.accessorygenie.com/datastream-6-foot-premium-usb-charging-cable-p-10322.html

I
'll keep you guys posted.

Edit:
Don't buy. AccessoryPower has the more accurate details of this product, which I wish I had found sooner. It's a USB data transfer cable, not a charging cable like the link above claims. Good news is that it's very high quality, made out of braided nylon.. It'll be my rattlesnake cord.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
There are two potential problems with that cable (or any cable other than the one that came with the phone...
  1. It might NOT even provide charging functionality. Motorola phones are rather particular about the cables used to provide charging. I have found that many USB-A to MicroUSB cables provide NO functionality. I purchased a portable external power supply and it came with two of those cables. Neither one worked, so I tried a couple other cables I had laying around...again - nothing. The Motorola Stock USB Data/Charging cable works every time.
  2. It MAY provide charging capability but very well may NOT provide data transfer as well. Motorola phones are very particular about the cable when it comes to data transfer. If you are only intending on using it to charge, you may be OK.
As a result, in order to have extra cables around the house/car/office, I've purchased these from eBay (very inexpensive and they work for both data and power) - OEM USB Data Sync Link Cable for Verizon Motorola Droid Razr. By the way, I made an "offer" of $6 for both and the offer was accepted...the cables arrived today in the mail! See pic below. You'll notice the MicroUSB end has the hologram label, and the USB-A end has the Motorola logo molded into the plastic. Also, the cable has the model #SKN6428A. I am connected to my PC this very second using the cable in the picture and it's both charging and I have access to the SD cards from my PC desktop.

anegeny9.jpg

These cables are different than the one that came with my phone. The stock cable that shipped with the phone is a thicker cable, and it's a plastic sheath which is stiff and not very forgiving when bent. The ones I received today are thinner and more flexible, and the sheath feels more like rubber than plastic. Also, at the end where the MicroUSB connector is, the cable enters the back of the connector and it's very well protected from flex, whereas the original cable has a "strain-relief" molded in which really doesn't work given how stiff the cable is.

9edyzase.jpg

vu7aqy9y.jpg

atunudem.jpg

YRMV

OP
hAHAha Halo

hAHAha Halo

Reaction score
Just got it in the mail today.. So far after being plugged in for the past 45 minutes it's holding at 50%, but I'm holding off on sending it back because my battery has been skipping around, going from 60% to 100% after being plugged in for an hour, so it might be a battery glitch right now and not the cable's fault. But, AccessoryGenie may have false advertised to me.. The original provider for the cable is from AccessoryPower, and on their website it says absolutely nothing about charging. On AccessoryGenie, it says you can use it for all sorts of charging needs. The box itself says "High Speed Micro USB" and "High speed data transfer up to 480Mbps", and doesn't say anything about charging.

The good news is that I found a high quality USB data cable. I think even plugged into a wall charger it would give you the same power output as plugging it into a computer.