Stripped screws??? Oh my!

EastTnMomOf8

Reaction score
First..I in NO way claim to be tech savvy or professional. I'm simply a stay-at-home mom to 8 kids that it is too cheap to buy new things when ours tear up :) so I much rather prefer to DIY.

Okay..on to my real reason for posting. I have a Droid A855 with a shattered digitizer. In my feeble attempts to replace the digitizer, I stripped a few of the screws that hold the metal plate to the backside of the front slide of phone (no clue what this is 'officially' called). They appeared to be phillips, but I tried a #00 and #000 and I ended up with stripped screws. So my three questions are...(1) What is the best way to get these screws out now? (2) What size screws are these? (3) Where can I find replacement screws?

Or am I just out of luck on this one, which would be a huge disappointment! I've discovered I love 'fixing' things and was starting to develop quite a successful track record. Thanks for reading!

Snow02

Reaction score
Whenever I strip a screw, I cut a new groove with a dremel so a flathead can grab it. With screws that small...that might be tough. You could wear down a cutting wheel on some scrap metal until it's a small enough diameter to not risk damaging the phone. If they're too recessed though I don't know.

SWFLDroid

Reaction score
First..I in NO way claim to be tech savvy or professional. I'm simply a stay-at-home mom to 8 kids that it is too cheap to buy new things when ours tear up :) so I much rather prefer to DIY.

Okay..on to my real reason for posting. I have a Droid A855 with a shattered digitizer. In my feeble attempts to replace the digitizer, I stripped a few of the screws that hold the metal plate to the backside of the front slide of phone (no clue what this is 'officially' called). They appeared to be phillips, but I tried a #00 and #000 and I ended up with stripped screws. So my three questions are...(1) What is the best way to get these screws out now? (2) What size screws are these? (3) Where can I find replacement screws?

Or am I just out of luck on this one, which would be a huge disappointment! I've discovered I love 'fixing' things and was starting to develop quite a successful track record. Thanks for reading!

Some of the screws that need to be removed are T5 torx, the rest are tiny phillips heads. Did you happen to follow the Youtube instructions for digitizer replacement? If not, you should check it out. The instructions are pretty clear and tell you exactly what you need and how to do the job.

That said, if you have already stripped several you are probably in trouble. I just replaced a digitizer and stripped one screw, the last one of course. I thought about trying the dremmel routine but those screw heads are just too small, I just drilled out the one stripped screw and left it alone when I reassembled the phone. You could try to find a tiny e-z out and really tiny drill bit. If you get the screws out you will need to find replacements, they are available on line. You could even just drill out all of the stripped screws and buy a new screen body (or whatever part it is that you have destroyed)

Good Luck!