Streaming Video to Droid?

xzrt_droid

Reaction score
Hi all, I just got a DROID last Friday and ever since I haven't been able to put the thing down! I have been able to use SSH as well as VNC from my phone, as well as getting GMote to run over 3G and what not, but now I need to stream video (avi and mkv) from my home computer. I have been trying to toy around with VLC to do this, using FTPServer with the droid, but no luck. I am running on Ubuntu linux. I know some people have said they are using ORB with windows to stream video, but would really like to stick to Ubuntu for this. Any thoughts? Thanks!

elgordo123

Reaction score
I found this on another VLC link somewhere. It works for me, but because you have to connect in remotely to get it to start it isn't practical. (This is from command line vlc on a mythtv linux box).

Code:
cvlc /var/lib/mythtv/MyCoolVideo.avi  --sout='#transcode{soverlay,ab=42,samplerate=44100,channels=1,acodec=mp4a,vcodec=h264,width=854,height=480,vfilter="canvas{width=854,height=480,aspect=16:9}",fps=25,vb=1024,venc=x264{vbv-bufsize=500,partitions=all,level=12,no-cabac,subme=7,threads=4,ref=2,mixed-refs=1,bframes=0,min-keyint=1,keyint=50,trellis=2,direct=auto,qcomp=0.0 ,qpmax=51}}:gather:rtp{mp4a-latm,sdp=rtsp://0.0.0.0:5554/stream.sdp}'

Then I have a webpage with a link for that rtsp part.
So far my research using VLC has hit dead ends as the vlc web interface isn't working for the droid.

I used to be on WinMo and had great success using Darwin streaming server. I'm pretty sure that would work on the droid, but haven't had time to test it.

OP
X

xzrt_droid

Reaction score
Thanks

Thanks for the prompt responces. I am sorry to report that it didn't work for me! Any other ideas?

elgordo123

Reaction score
Did you create a webpage (you'll have to install IIS or apache!) that has that link in it? You'll go to that webpage from your droid and click it, then it will open in the media player.

Like this:
Code:
<br><a href="rtsp://192.168.0.3:5554/stream.sdp">Test Stream (Use VLC)</a><br>

Make sure to change your IP address to the IP of the machine running the stream and that you have port 5554 open in the firewall(s).

Definately a pain, but that is why I haven't done much with it and kinda gave it up as nothing more than a novelty. If you want a fun project try Darwin streaming server. It's not too hard to setup if you are "techy". It is apple/ipod, etc product so I'll bet it will work.

OP
X

xzrt_droid

Reaction score
Sorry, I have no idea how to do this! I've installed the essentials (apahe and whatnot) but I have no clue what to do. Any guide that goes along with that code?

tallnerd1985

Reaction score
I think I might have finally got it for you. I will do a write up here shortly but this is what I did in a nutshell that I have been able to stream via wifi and 3G. First thing is to install Tversity on your home computer and in the settings, turn off transcoding, enable outside requests, setup username and password and setup port fowarding and static ip on your pc. Then download nswPlayer for Android from the market. Next, when encoding a movie, use handbrake, select legacy ipod, web optimized and change output from .m4v to .mp4. Lastly, navigate the Android web browser to either 192.168.1.xxx:41952/lib(Whatever you have your pc static ip address set to for the xxx) or your external ip address:41952/lib.

I know this is pretty greek looking to most but lookup on the internet about Ideal Droid Video Format, portfoward.com for setting up static and ports, then tversity.com for how to use tversity.