Streaming Video From Secure LAMP Server

thericcer

Reaction score
Hello Everyone! This is my first post and I am happy to be part of the community!

My issue may be kinda quirky but here it goes...

Background:
I am trying to be able to stream videos from my home computer so that I don't have to download them onto my droid. I have a website running on my LAMP (Linux Apache MySQL PHP) server and thought it would be a good idea to make a private directory there where I can mount my media hard drive and stream videos and music. The directory is protected with a .htaccess file so you have to enter a username and password to get in.

Problem:
Browsing to the directory in dolphin is no problem, just enter the password and it goes right in. The problem comes when trying to start streaming a movie file, music file or downloading anything else(i.e. pdf s). If I move the movies or music to an unprotected directory, streaming and downloading is no problem; the thing is I don't want to leave my music and movies publicly accessible.

Has anyone encountered this problem? or know a way to work around it and still keep the directory protected from the public?

Thanks for your input!

:motdroidhoriz:

CobaltKitsune

Reaction score
I'm having the same problem.

After doing some research, it seems the droid browsers just do not resent the authentication when accessing a file, leaving you only able to "see" it.

if it's protected with an .htaccess file, you may want to try this. It seems to work for me.

Change your htaccess file to allow your droid's IP through, like so:

-------------------.htaccess file----------------------
Options +Indexes

RewriteEngine on
RewriteBase /

AuthUserFile /path/to/pswd
AuthGroupFile /dev/null
AuthType Basic
AuthName "Text"

Satisfy any

Order Deny,Allow
Deny From All
Allow From droid.ip.addy.here

<limit GET POST>
require valid-user
</limit>

------------------------------------

I think this allows the droid to bypass the authentication (because of it's IP), but makes any OTHER IP address need to authenticate.

I don't know if the droid has a static or dynamic ip, so this may not ALWAYS work.

Hope this helps