1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Streaming sound quality

Discussion in 'Bugless' started by injector, Jun 23, 2010.

1. injector

injector New Member

i've searched around the threads both in here and alldroid.org and i can't seem to find a solution to this issue other than going back to Eclair.

after upgrading to Froyo i noticed that streaming audio sound like utter and complete crap, using pandora, lastfm etc. i keep backups after every upgrade and after a long restore session of every backup i've found that it started with froyo, i used an Eclair rom and updated Pandora to the last release thinking that the issue could be with Pandora (yes i did change the Pandora settings to high quality and streamed using Wifi and 3G), well it wasn't. at this point i thought the issue was with every sound that froyo played back, so i hooked up my Droid to my home theater (because the phone speaker doesn't work for troubleshooting audio issues) and noticed that the issue is only with streaming media, local media inside the SD card plays perfectly.

so to review:
    -there's an issue with Froyo streaming audio
    -Pandora works fine (on Eclair with the latest pandora update)
    -local media works fine

at this point i'm at a loss other than waiting for Pete to figure something out, unless someone has any ideas.
  2. Renapd

Renapd New Member

pandora sounds like crap for me when using froyo also. Thats a big reason I switched back to 2.1
  3. Litrekid

Litrekid New Member

Same here. Wish someone would look into this. Someone in another thread reported no issue with UD froyo.
  4. schollianmj

schollianmj New Member

Man Im glad to find this... I just chased an electrical gremlin down in my car system and thought some how THAT caused the sound loss... yea, with .2.1 pandora sounds like ass. stock media player and Mixing sounds good, but pandora dont... we gotta find out why. granted 2.2 just got released so hopefully something in there got tweaked and its good again once we get our roms from source!
  5. dparm

dparm New Member

Noticed this too. I thought maybe Pandora had knocked down their bitrates to conserve bandwidth or something. It's weird because all my local music sounds great still.
  6. thekoopa

thekoopa New Member

I noticed this while driving home today. I thought that pandora had knocked their quality down aswell. Glad to see I'm not the only with this problem. I love Froyo to much to switch because of sound quality issues though.
  7. jmartinez06

jmartinez06 New Member

Wow I literally tore my car up because of this these last few weeks! I have an alpine cda105 with a bluetooth hook up, alpine type r speakers and a 10 kicker sub with seperate amps and I litterally just took it all apart! Yeah I've noticed that only xiaalive sounds decent, but slacker and pandora like complete and utter crap! Man I thought I was the only one!
  8. jmartinez06

jmartinez06 New Member

I did a test to see what it was and tried playing sublime on cd, then switched to bluetooth, and I noticed that if its on the sd card its sound the same, but coming from pandora or slackers its nasty. I know its not my hook up seeing as how I hooked it up myself. Are you guys saying 2.1 works fine for sure?
  9. jmartinez06

jmartinez06 New Member

Really really? is it buggy??
  10. bthomp21

bthomp21 New Member

I hope someone chimes in about this. I thought it was my cd player or speakers. Glad Im not the only one with issues, lol
  11. DreamOperator

DreamOperator New Member

Same issue here. I kept checking the network quality setting in Pandora, thinking it was malfunctioning or something. I feel a little more sane after reading this thread.

Being that the 2.2 roms out now are beta, it will be interesting to see (hear :)) what happens with roms built from the source code (Cyanogenmod seems quite interested in the audio area of and Android.), as well as the official release.

Edit: Hmm... I overlooked the post mentioning that a UD user reported no issue. Not sure if I've tried to play anything streaming since I loaded that rom. I'll check it out later today and report back.
  12. G8GT594

G8GT594 New Member

Same thing. Some songs sound normal, then other songs sound completely horrible. I flashed back to BB 1.1 on the 2.1 software, sounds excellent. I know some wouldn't have bother, but i use pandora like it is going out of style.
  13. ksarauer

ksarauer New Member

I've noticed the same issue with Pandora on 0.2.1.
  14. DreamOperator

DreamOperator New Member

Things that make you go...

Update: I listened to several different stations on Pandora yesterday and some songs were fine, others sounded pretty trashy. I don't recall such a dramatic difference back on 2.1. Perhaps it's a coincidence, not sure. Hmm....
  15. Aviamund

Aviamund New Member

I'm so glad I read this post... It confirms what I thought... There's something wrong with the way pandora and froyo interact. Not really sure why is doing that... but Froyo streams fine. I used my Xiia Live app to stream Digitally Imported radio, and it has been the same as always.
  16. injector

injector New Member

so i did some more searching and i found that there has been some changes from pandora for Froyo

Pandora FAQ
  17. bigfake23

bigfake23 New Member

I noticed this issue as soon as I went to froyo since Pandora is about all I listen to in my car. I even tried stock 2.2 froyo and it still sounded like crap. I emailed Pandora and got a response saying they are aware of issuse with froyo. I am hopeful that the next update of Pandora will fix this. In the meantime I am stuck with 2.1 :(
  18. jmartinez06

jmartinez06 New Member

Anyone noticed slacker is doing the same thing??
  19. bigfake23

bigfake23 New Member

I tried slacker and last.fm and they both sounded bad to me but I never used them on 2.1 so I can't compare.
  20. ethanhunt123

ethanhunt123 New Member

yea they all sound like crap. what gives?
Search tags for this page

alpine cda-105 android

how to improve blue tooth streaming audio quality
how to improve bluetooth audio bit rate android

how to increase bluetooth bitrate for audio streaming on my motorola razr maxx

inrease android sound while driving

motorola atrix 2 pandora sounds like crap