Streaming audio

tmgiffel

Reaction score
I have just purchased my Droid and so far am a little unhappy. I listen to a lot of streaming audio. Radio stations, podcast and other websites that stream live podcasts. I am not super techy so maybe I just don't know what I am doing. All of the listening options I am presented with, Quicktime, Windows Media Player, and Realplayer come up as not supported. Is there a way I can still listen to all of my favs on the Droid?

coondogg97

Reaction score
Check out Pandora Radio for streaming stations and check out Music Search to stream and download individual songs. As for podcasts, there is an app out here that allows you to stream podcasts, just not sure what its called.

HTH

darthdroid

Reaction score
i am missing that as well. It feels to me like google/moto shipped a nice device but forgot that without good software, it's crippled.
Take the browser for example, they could have done a much better job on that, Or the missing support for streaming audio that is not mp3 format, etc etc.
Waiting for applications to get developed by 3rd party developers is ok, but not with the basic (and yes, i see audio streaming as basic) functionality.
I hope they push out some nice updates this December.

droiddict

Reaction score
I'm using Google Listen and Mediafly Mobile Audio to listen to Podcasts. So far, I think I like Google Listen better but it doesn't find all of the ones that I usually listen to. People complain about iTunes, but I do like it better for managing Podcasts.

eta: I created an online Mediafly account and am now able to add channels easily. So far I am finding all of my regular podcasts. Now to see how they play. I wish they had an option to just play one so I don't miss a bunch after I fall asleep.

sterdroids

Reaction score
1000% agree! I almost ditched this and called it a POS for the lack of that power I mean come on my 5 year old samsung did better with talk radio etc.... Much better! But the phone and capabilities are so awesome i am not going anywhere!

Here are the issues so far that i have found NO FLASH support but they say its coming in 2010 once that does we should be all set.

in the meantime it might take sometime to find what you need but try this

go to thestreamcenter.com
and find what you are looking for if you can in an mp3 or shoutcast type stream then
go get a program called streamfurious (free) and find that stations link.

streamitall
droidlive

hope it helps

zasran

Reaction score
There are quite a few streaming apps out there, just search the Marketplace, I like Pandora (streams Pandora Radio - Listen to Free Internet Radio, Find New Music radio stations) and Google Listen (searches and downloads/plays podcasts), iMusic is pretty cool as well (finds and plays/downloads music), there's also last.fm app but it doesn't work very well for me.

As somebody else said flash is coming early 2010 (in the meantime there's youtube player).

ero

V

volando

I use "Slacker" radio, it has many channels and works quite well - great quality sound and only that occasional plug to upgrade to a paid version (6 song skips per hour per channel in free version, but hey, that's 6 more than regular radio!)

droiddict

Reaction score
Just found a new one for streaming radio stations that I haven't seen mentioned in the forums. Droidlive picked up a bunch of NPR stations in its search. It also has a genre search. Haven't found my favorite NPR station but most of them play the same thing. Next for some good Jazz stations. The lite version is free. Nice interface.

OP
T

tmgiffel

Reaction score
Thanks for all of the suggestions. I was going to take the phone back but when I got there the sales guy convinced me to keep it for a few weeks to make sure that I wanted to exchange it. I will try some of some of your suggestions, but I am not sure that they are going to work. The main site that I listen to streams live occasionally and is not associated with a radio station. It is a group of podcasters who stream.

Thanks for all of the great suggestions.

Eivaldr

Reaction score
The best radio app Ive found is completely free and supports all shoutcast radio stations. The app is called StreamFurious and its a must have for anyone who listens to talk radio or even music im sure. I only use it for talk radio so I cant really comment about its music capabilities.
Im actually using it right now, streaming the radio feed through bluetooth and through my computer headset, works excellently.

darthdroid

Reaction score
Another option for now is a web service called moodio.fm , check it out, works for me.