Streaming Audio and Audio Recording

Inundated

Reaction score
Two different questions here, only related by the fact both involve audio:

1) What's the state of being able to do streaming audio on Android?

I've been doing some searching, and it appears there are one or two apps in the Market that do Shoutcast/MP3/etc. streaming. Can the Droid do WMA/ASX streaming at all, even with an app? That answer didn't seem to be as forthcoming. There's an app in the Market called "Media Player", but I can't tell if it'll do Windows Media-based streaming.

I'm not expecting much, but I'm curious.

How about Ogg Vorbis streaming? I could do CBC Radio with that one...they went to WMA streaming a while back, but still have a national/Toronto-based Ogg Vorbis stream somewhere in there.

2) How about Audio Recording applications?

I work in radio news, and I'd like to be able to use the Droid as sort of an equivalent of a flash audio recorder. But since it's for broadcast, I'd like a higher-quality audio file...i.e. at least 22KHz WAV (or whatever the equivalent file type would be) or 192kbps MP3. I'd like to also be able to record from the 3.5 mm jack somehow, but I don't know how that'd work.

Like with the streaming, I saw a couple of apps for it, but don't know if they would work (no information on file formats recording, etc.).

Any help on this would be much appreciated!

OP
I

Inundated

Reaction score
Who do you have to threaten to get detailed tech specs of any Android app???? :D

I can't tell, from searching, what formats Livo Recorder Pro records into. So, I don't have any idea if it'll work for what I need. It appears to be $2.99, which is a more than reasonable price...IF it works for me.

Thank you, again, New!

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
That is the most secretive program EVER! Ok not really but I cannot find any more information out about it then that. You could email the company that made it, and they should be able to tell you what formats it supports.

OP
I

Inundated

Reaction score
It is not just that program. A number of other programs I've seen on AndroLib...getting the detailed specs just isn't possible.

I'll probably E-mail them at some point and ask, but you'd think it'd be on the web SOMEWHERE!

OP
I

Inundated

Reaction score
Yeah, I saw that, but are you sure it's the developer? The site has no mention of Android apps or any other smartphone apps, and this one appears to be a consulting company:

Sandbox

Ah, well, I'll figure it out!

OP
I

Inundated

Reaction score
Bumping now that I have the Droid.

Apparently, Ogg Vorbis is actually a native format to Android, but I can't for the life of me how to get STREAMING Ogg Vorbis audio, like that from my beloved CBC. None of the audio/streaming apps I've downloaded can handle it. Is there an app that does STREAMING Ogg Vorbis? Not saved files, live streaming like the dozens of MP3 streaming-capable apps out there.

Also still looking for ASX (Windows Media), though that'll be tougher, I'm sure.

Roland Stone

Reaction score
If you're looking for an Android app to record streaming MP3 audio, try Radio Rip. Just updated today to add scheduled/timed recordings. Also check out Broov Adore (it's not in the market but you can find a link for a beta on the Broov website.) Broov Adore does both AAC and MP3. But no scheduled timed recording yet.

Sorry, I don't know any app that streams OGG yet. Maybe when Coreplayer Android comes out next month.

manesha

Reaction score
I've been looking for one of these for a while and have recently tried Recordio - whilst the UI is basic, its functionality is great as it allows you to schedule future recordings, which was exactly was what I was looking for.

Thought I'd post in case anyone is googling for something similar.

OP
I

Inundated

Reaction score
Update to a very old thread (so old, I have a Droid 4 now!)...

I use TuneIn (Pro) to stream (and record) almost any radio station in the world. You have to use iHeartRadio to pick up the Clear Channel stations.

I use Hi-Q to act as a flash recorder. It is good enough quality for broadcast use.

snowman

Reaction score
I've tried a bunch of the recording apps and really Rehearsal Assistant is about the best Quality it was made for recording music ,
format can be changed
problem is it cannot pause and continue recording just starts a new one, but the quality is really great
just my thoughts

streaming = unknown to me

OP
I

Inundated

Reaction score
I tried Rehearsal Assistant on my original Droid. No way. The recording hiccuped all the time and was unusable. It probably wouldn't do that on my much faster D4.

Hi-Q does everything I need. I bought the pro version but even the lite version has adjustable parameters and unlimited recording in MP3 or OGG formats (it limits WAV recording to 10 minutes per file, a limit that goes away in the pro version). The lite version is free.

Oh, and it JUST added pause capability.

Last edited: