stream music to older car stereo

rrokit

Reaction score
Hi,

I've posted a few times in the past and have had good and reliable responses. Thanks to all.

I have an older car with a good stereo but no USB input and no bluetooth. I listen to a lot of internet radio and am wondering if there is a way to stream audio from my original Droid with 2.2.1 through my car's stereo system. Wasn't there a gadget that you could buy that broadcast to your car's receiver? I'm wondering if there is a reliable android app that does this. I hope this is enough information.

Thanks.

bigtex52

Reaction score
There was a product that put out a low power FM signal that you could pick up on your car stereo. I can't recall what it was called. What you might try if your stereo has a cassette player built in is a cassette adaptor. It looks like a cassette tape with a wire and jack coming out of it. You can pick one up at BB, the Shack or Target. HTH.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
you would need an FM transmitter or if your car stereo has a cassette dock then you could get a cassette to AUX cable, these work great, i use one.

OP
R

rrokit

Reaction score
Thank you both for the quick replies. Someone just posted a similar question 6 places up from my OP and one response was that FM transmitters are not too good.
I guess I'll have to try one and find out for myself.
I was hoping there was some sort of a FM broadcasting app for android similar to justin tv and the like.

Thanks again.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Apps can't replace hardware. A FM transmitter needs, well, an FM transmitter. Justin TV is nothing like what you're looking for as it streams TV to your device. An app can easily do that as there's no special hardware requirement.

Some companies that make iPod integration kits also make a line in adapter for factory stereos. You'd have to check the manufacturer's site and input your year, make & model to see if there are any options for your car.

If you have a cassette deck I'd suggest using a cassette adapter over an FM transmitter. The FM transmitter should be left as a last resort. Audio quality suffers and many of them just don't work in large cities where the FM radio bands are packed with radio stations.

Last edited:

travisn000

Reaction score
I have a Jabra "Cruiser" hands-free bluetooth device that clips to my visor... it also supports FM transmission and works very well over FM (..the speakerphone built into it is good for voice, but not music; I pretty much ONLY use it in FM mode. I can set it to broadcast on any FM station and it will broadcast over even the strongest stations in my area without getting static or other interference).

I think most of the bad expieriences with FM modulators/transmitters is from people that used older ones with iPods (iPods have very weak output)

You can read reviews on the Jabra Cruiser on Amazon, Newegg, etc. I also tried the competing product from motorola (same feature set), but found the Jabra to have better voice quality & noise cancelation.

Here is a link to amazon reviews:
http://www.amazon.com/Jabra-Cruiser...dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

...looks like there is a "Cruiser 2" model out now as well:
http://www.amazon.com/Jabra-CRUISER...iewpoints=1&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending

Last edited:

karylr

Reaction score
Cheap FM transmitter on Amazon

I bought this one from Amazon - total cost including shipping was less than $7, and it does the trick...

My husband bought me the Jabra bluetooth speakerphone for Christmas (which I love!!) , so we use that one in my car and the other in his now. But the Amazon transmitter is about 10% of the cost of the Jabra.

Amazon.com: Wireless FM Transmitter + Car Adapter Charger for iPod Touch, iPhone, Nano, Classic, + MORE! Charge your iPod / iPhone while using FM transmitter! 4GB, 8GB, 16GB, 32GB, 64GB, 120GB, 160GB: Electronics

jefbystereo

Reaction score
Depending on your radios features, you could do a few things.

Aux In (maybe on back of radio)
Aux In (hack a cd changer input if your radio is compatible with a changer)
Wired FM transmitter
Wireless FM transmitter

The aux ins would be the best choice since you could either wire directly or use a bluetooth receiver to output to the aux in. The wired Fm transmitter would be my choice if you dont have an aux in. it basically works inline between your antenna and the radio so you get a stronger fm signal vs a wireless transmitter.

gsDroid

Reaction score
I agree with the Jabra Cruiser bluetooth car speaker. I have tried a couple of cheap fm transmitters and they are terrible. The Jabra streams my music to the radio with excellent quality. One touch voice dialing, answer, etc.

OP
R

rrokit

Reaction score
You know, I went with the easy, low tech and inexpensive solution. Went to WalMart and bought a cassette adaptor for $7 and it works beautifully in both of my older car systems.
Who needs XM when you have streaming media on your phone? 8-P
As always, very impressed with and appreciative of the responses! Thanks!

r314bd

Reaction score
- cassette tape adapter
- aux input
- FM transmitter
- bluetooth

elPrez

Reaction score
I also found that when I'm listening to Pandora and I get a call, I just leave it plugged in and hear the caller through the car speakers. Works better than any bluetooth speakerphone I've tried.

dafischman

Reaction score
I use a Moto T505. Connects to phone via bluetooth and to my car stereo via FM. SQ is great considering what it is. I stream music via Subsonic and Pandora and it also allows me to hear phone calls over my cars speakers as well. I would highly recommend it.

Josh