Stream Music in your car

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by buckyearll, Jan 22, 2010.

1. buckyearll

buckyearll New Member

I have the Motorola droid and I would love to stream music to my car stereo. I've tried a low band FM transmitter but it does not work. Apparently this phone uses a 3 ring RCA jack and the devices use a two ring. Anyone know a work around.
  2. joshua117

joshua117 New Member

depends on your deck, i link mine up via blue tooth. if your deck doesn't have this feature you can buy a usb blue tooth adapter for like $25 or so. (this is assuming that you have a recent after market deck or newer car that has a usb port).

hope that helps. :)
  3. MNTNBKR

MNTNBKR Member

We need quite a bit more information in order to provide you with any helpful feedback. What kind of head unit do you have, what kind of vehicle are you driving, what kind of FM transmitter are you using, and what is your budget?

FYI, several people have been using FM transmitters for this purpose without much trouble.
  4. Scribble

Scribble New Member

I don't think that's the issue... I have mine running through a regular mini to RCA Y-Cable into the back of my deck and it works just fine. Something else is up with that fm transmitter me thinks.
  5. nerdbox08

nerdbox08 New Member

I agree there has to be some issue with the transmitter.

I use one without a problem. And it charges off it to boot!
  6. Erich_F

Erich_F New Member

I agree...I just got the Belkin FM transmitter and it works great. My only problem is a back-EMI creating noise when I have the phone plugged into the car charger. I use a Power Port splitter, so they share a common power and ground. I think using separate power ports might fix that problem, though.
  7. takeshi

takeshi New Member

Doesn't matter. You only need 4 conductors (the black rings are insulators) if you're using a mic with the Droid. A stereo 3.5mm (the Droid does not have RCA connectors/jacks) connector will work just fine. I use one to connect mine to a stereo receiver at times.

IMO and FM transmitter should really be your last resort. Have you tested the FM transmitter with other sources? I do agree that it sounds like the transmitter or the specific cable that you're trying to use is the actual issue.
  8. MaXKiLLz

MaXKiLLz New Member

I use Droid Live + Bluetooth in my 2010 Acura TSX. No need for XM radio any more. I'm surprised by how good it sounds.
  9. skidemn

skidemn New Member

auxiliary input

Have you considered an auxiliary input for your vehicle? It will give you hands-down the best sound quality. If you tell me your make/model/year I will check to see what's available.
  10. Vanilla Tarantino

Vanilla Tarantino New Member

This is what I'm doing. I just ordered a converter for my stereo (stock radio in a 2003 Toyota Corolla). I should be getting it tomorrow, which means that Sunday will be spent learning how to take my radio out and drilling some holes in my dash :icon_ banana:
  11. JohnnyDroid

JohnnyDroid New Member

FM transmitters are not a good solution. I drive a semi and I've tried the Belkin and Cody FM transmitters with my Sirius radio and the sound was pretty bad. Then I discovered that Sirius sells an FM modulator. This is tons better, probably not quite as good as having a radio with an input jack, but damned close.

Now that I'm using the Droid for internet radio, I've canceled Sirius and I've spent the last couple of weeks using the Droid in the truck with an FM transmitter. I just received an FM modulator from Amazon.com: Scosche FM-MOD02 FM Modulator for iPod, Satellite Radio or Portable Music Player: Electronics and I'll be installing it soon, this week if I get a chance. If it works as well as the Sirius version I'll be happy.
  12. triptych

triptych New Member

I have been looking for info on setting up an aux input in my new car. I cannot find any solid info thus far so any help would be appreciated.

Specs:
    Acura 3.5RL 2000

Stock bose head unit without navigation (I heard the ones with nav can pose a problem) also a six cd changer in trunk (stock)

I think my only option is to get rid of the cd changer and buy a converter from the 8pin changer output to stereo phonos, then run a cable to the dash.

I would like to have the option of cds as well though. Haven't looked behind the unit yet as I only plan on taking my car apart once. Is there another way?
  13. gentlefury

gentlefury New Member

Bluetooth is the best way to go. I have a pioneer with bluetooth and it sounds GREAT. If you can't afford or can't install a new system in your car you should check out a parrot!

Bluetooth Hands Free Car Kits - Parrot USA
  14. skidemn

skidemn New Member

Here's the instructions for taking out your radio: http://documents.victorytechnologies...roduct/961.pdf
  15. TK40

TK40 New Member

What's an inexpensive stereo you guys would recommend that would allow me to use my Droid to play streaming music in the car?
  16. skidemn

skidemn New Member

This this Clarion one: Clarion U.S.A. | CZ100
    [​IMG]

Aux input
    RCA ouputs
    Bluetooth Ready (requires Clarion BT kit)
    $99
  17. Sam

Sam Premium Member Premium Member

you might have better luck finding a good answer for that on an RL forum, i only say that because there might be certain nav issues we don't know about.. any aux input will do what you want. i recommend a FM modulator so you can keep your stock stuff, including cd changer. pretty much all a FM modulator does is sort of splice in (plug and play, don't worry) between where the antenna connects to the back of your head unit. it's a simple WIRED solution and isn't too expensive..
  18. Sam

Sam Premium Member Premium Member

bluetooth is not the answer. it's a lot of science involved, but trust me, it's just not the best thing for sound quality. don't get me wrong, it WILL work and it is simple.. but SQ is just lacking.
  19. triptych

triptych New Member

Thanks Sam this sounds reasonable.
  20. Flomaster

Flomaster Premium Member Premium Member

hrm... can we transfer audio over the usb cable? my Poineer has a USB input and I could plug the droid into, but what about mounting the droid? how would to output audio over the usb cable?

-=Jason=-
Search tags for this page

app that transmits music to radio

how do i stream music from my android to my car
how to android phone to transmits music to my radio
how to transmit music from galaxy to car radio
is there an app to stream music from my galaxy s3 to my car
stream music from galaxy nexus to car

stream music from phone to fm

stream music from the galaxy s4 to your car
stream music galaxy s4 to car

stream your music in the car