Strange viscous liquid on the inside of the phone.

jaydub5

Reaction score
This has happened to three of my Note 3's so far. Next to the camera lens,
just to the left and above the VZW letters in the black plastic body, I have been seeing droplets of an oil like substance that keeps coming back once it is removed. Verizon has no clue.
Samsung has no clue. There is also liquid near the earphone jack, and near the sim card. The fluid is not coming from the outside of the phone. It seems to be oozing through the black plastic body.

My last Note 3 simply stopped making calls... nice.

Seems Samsung has quality control issues.

Ruckstar

Reaction score
Only thing I can think of is the Battery, are the connector strips on the battery also covered?

Mike.757

Silver Member
Reaction score
I don't mean to offend but, is it possible the fluid is coming from you while you talk on the phone? Hair gel, perspiration, something similar. Do you keep the phone in the bathroom while you shower? In the kitchen while you cook. Look at how you are using your phone to see if you might be doing it to your phone without realizing it.

This is happening too many times to you and not anyone else. There are two Note 3s in my house and nothing nothing like you describe.

The odds of you getting three phones that this happens to and it not be a major issue with the phone are impossible.

OP
J

jaydub5

Reaction score
No offense... NO! NOT COMING FROM EXTERNAL SOURCE.
It is oozing from the inside... not on outside of phone period.
Phones can have different components and assembly lines...
An entire batch can have bad radios, etc.
The liquid is NOT from any external source and,
I am not stupid enough to have my phone in the bathroom.
It is ALWAYS in a safe, dry area. I am a heavy user, 6 hours
screen time, 2-3 hours talk time.
The battery is totally dry... as are the SIM and SD cards. The camera lens is not effected... it is off to the left side and in other areas.
The store is aware of the issue... thus two replacements. I bought the
phone to keep my unlimited data plan.

Mike.757

Silver Member
Reaction score
Ok. Had to ask.

Like I said, we have had no problems so far. Maybe the store got a lot of bad phones. The store should do two things for you. Research the lot of phones and ensure the phone you have is not the same. If you need to get another one, have the store order one for you so it comes from a different location.

OP
J

jaydub5

Reaction score
Thanks, but they already gave me a load of BS about their phones.

OP
J

jaydub5

Reaction score
Photos of the problem...

These photos were taken by another Note 3.

Attachments

• 20140127_204454_resized.jpg
    20140127_204454_resized.jpg
    355 KB · Views: 3,103
  • 20140127_204550_resized.jpg
    20140127_204550_resized.jpg
    333.1 KB · Views: 2,344
  • 20140127_204503_resized.jpg
    20140127_204503_resized.jpg
    325.6 KB · Views: 2,179

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
Is it causing issues? Does it leave a mark where it was? I'd suggest two things.

Dry the phone off and take a small piece of scotch tape and put it DIRECTLY on top of the area shown in the picture, leave it in there for a day or however long it takes for this liquid to appear. If it shows up directly under the tape it can be concluded it's coming from the phone itself, if not it can be concluded it's moisture from the outside somehow getting caught in the phone.

Or get a case like an otterbox that coveres every crevice of the phone and see if it still appears in the exact same spot in the same amount of time.

Edit: Also I leave my phone in the bathroom all the time when I shower! And I have for the past 3 or 4 phones and I've never had it cause an issue. Not saying you should, but don't call me stupid for doing it lol!!

OP
J

jaydub5

Reaction score
Strange fluid accumulation inside phone

1. No fluids in the outside, no showers or kitchen moisture. No rain, no hurricanes, no Tsunamis.
The fluid is not water. The fluid has a low viscosity... very light to the touch.
It is NOT from external sources.
The fluid comes back after a week.
I am a heavy user... 5-6 hours screen time and 2-3 hours voice.
However, the device has not felt very hot at any time.
Strange to say the least.
The fluid is definitely coming from inside the phone.

rbrtryn

Reaction score
It's possible that the heat generated by the device is melting whatever adhesive they are using. This is actually not an uncommon occurrence. Parts are often taped or glued in place during assembly and maybe they cut corners with the adhesive they use.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

OP
J

jaydub5

Reaction score
Strange fluid accumulation inside phone

If this is indeed the case, and I have considered this, Samsung should fix the damn problem. The store will not replace this again, and Samsung will take weeks to repair... If possible.
$700 for a damn phone that can't handle heavy usage?
WHAT?! I do NOT abuse the phone, I simply use it all day.
Wonder how the liquid seeps through the plastic inner body?
Wierdness... of course I have such luck!
Thanks

mcsoul

Reaction score
I have to admit that I thought this was baloney. But I just looked in the same spot on mine and there was a very
light film of oil right on the same spot. I'm a light user, like 4 days between charges light. I'm not as upset as you
though, I just wiped it up and will keep an eye on it. Out of curiosity, do you use the assistive light much?

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
Main reason I suggested what I did is because nobody else is really having this problem and you've had it 3 times. Not unlikely it's coming from the phone, but it is something worth being sure on. Sure it could be a bad batch, in which case your only option is to continue sending in for replacements until you get one that works, but the fact pretty much nobody has reported this issue with the N3 specifically...raises a few red flags.

What rb says makes sense, since it has to have something to do with your heavy use, as thats the least common denominator with your situation compared to the average user.

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Where did you buy the phone from? A retail store, Verizon store? The fluid looks as though it's seeping from the camera area. As the place the liquid is at is a hard plastic casing, when you wipe it away does it appear to still be hard plastic there or does it look degraded in any way? From your best estimates does it appear to be coming from the camera or just seeping up through the hard plastic?

Just to clarify, on most days jaydub5 I use my phone 5-10 hours of moderate to heavy gaming / browsing and my phone does not have a leaking liquid so I don't think it's fair to say that it is because you use the product moderately. There are many others that use their phone longer periods of time then both of us.

Looking at the teardown pictures I do not see anything remotely in that area that could be causing the problem, so if it is something from inside the phone it has to be coming from a different area and making its way up there.

Mal7c7ous7ntent

Reaction score
I just checked my vzw note 3 and no issues here with oily liquids, and I am a heavy user.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk