Strange Recovery problem

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by rshackleford, Dec 12, 2010.

1. rshackleford

rshackleford New Member

I am running a stock rooted 2.2 ROM and want to upgrade to 2.2.1 stock rooted. I used ROM Manager to install Clockwork Mod Recovery then I downloaded the FRG83D rooted ROM.
    I select "Install ROM from SD card" in ROM Manager and select Backup existing ROM and Wipe Data and Cache.

My phone then reboots and the Moto logo comes up for what seems like longer then normal then the screen goes blank, the Moto logo comes up again for a long time and then the phone boots normally. It is still running FRG22.

Any ideas why Clockwork Mod isn't backing up the existing ROM and installing new ROM?
  2. metiCkOne

metiCkOne Premium Member Premium Member Developer

Portland, OR/Boston, MA <-- Born N' Raised
    You need to flash sprecovery to your phone, reboot then flash clockwork. It should work after that. It's a common issue. You can flash sprecovery through rom manager. It's at the bottom of the options.
  3. BayouFlyFisher

BayouFlyFisher Rescue Squad Rescue Squad

I agree with flashing spr, but I recommend one additional step. After you have flashed spr, you should flash CW until you get the notification of a successful installation in 3-5 seconds. I have had to reflash CW 5-6 times occasionally in order to get the notification back that quickly. But this has worked over and over for me and I've been using CW for 4-5 months now. Also I flash roms/kernels/themes daily.

Also, once you are in CW, if it becomes unresponsive or reboots without warning, simply press and hold the X key immediately after the screen going black. The phone will then reboot into CW and 99% of the time CW will run flawlessly until you are finished with it. This tip has also served me well for months and months now.
  4. rshackleford

rshackleford New Member

Thanks, I had to reflash CM twice after flashing SPR but it is working now.