Strange icon in notification bar

clayrebel

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have an icon in the notification bar that looks like a speaker.
I've never had this before and it won't go away.
My phone is not on speaker, nor do I have any music apps open.
I'm running gingerbread 2.3.3, unrooted.

Anyone know what this is and how I can get rid of it?

Thanks

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

OP
clayrebel

clayrebel

Reaction score
Okay so I figured out my speaker phone was activated. don't know how this happened but the fix in case anyone is wondering is, dial a number e.g.#1, turn speaker phone off, end call, icon disappears.

Thanks

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

spat01

Reaction score
What looks like a talk bubble with three dots in it appeared in my notification bar today, almost like some sort of instant message. When I pulled it down to open it and tapped on it it wouldn't open. Alls it said was "(email address) wants to..." I couldn't read the rest because I couldn't open it, so I dismissed it. This is the second time i've had this odd thing appear and i'm not sure where it's coming from. The first time it happened it was someone else's email address and it said "yo!", again I couldn't open it or respond. I've went through my apps and I can't figure out whats installed that would do this. Any thoughts? Thanks!

ktklein72

Reaction score
Do you use the IM+ messenger app? I do and when someone from MSN/WLM requests to be on your friend list I get the same/similar notification.

spat01

Reaction score
I don't use that app. Could that be something that is installed in the background without me knowing? My droid is rooted so if I know what I'm looking for I can freeze it

ktklein72

Reaction score
I'm really not sure then. Perhaps you can post a screen capture next time it happens.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

walkerstempe

Reaction score
I just noticed that and came here for help.
Found the icon turns on when you go sound settings and turn off sound.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

silver6054

Reaction score
What looks like a talk bubble with three dots in it appeared in my notification bar today, almost like some sort of instant message. When I pulled it down to open it and tapped on it it wouldn't open. Alls it said was "(email address) wants to..." I couldn't read the rest because I couldn't open it, so I dismissed it. This is the second time i've had this odd thing appear and i'm not sure where it's coming from. The first time it happened it was someone else's email address and it said "yo!", again I couldn't open it or respond. I've went through my apps and I can't figure out whats installed that would do this. Any thoughts? Thanks!

It's Google Talk I think. My daughter started using it and it confused me the first time! You can go to the Talk app in your applications drawer to see the messages and interact

spat01

Reaction score
hmmm no not that either. checked my apps, don't have it installed. thanks anyway!

S

SFGate

I recently got a strange icon shortly after I reactivated my phone. I could not stand the suspense so I called the provider. Strangely, they were helpful. The CSR I talked to couldn't find the answer, so she talked to someone else and called me back when they figured it out.

sm6520

Reaction score
Its google talk but its called Talk on ur app menu. I use this app all the time.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk