Strange battery quirk?

DebDroid

Reaction score
My battery went almost dead today. I charged my phone last night and was at work when I noticed the flashing red light. My phone had been sitting at my cubicle near my computer. I immediately turned it off.

I remembered downloading Handcent last night and having a blast customizing and thought maybe there is something in Handcent I left on that drains the battery. I was planning to troubleshoot when I got home. I was waiting at Coldstone for my boyfriend and I happened to turn my phone back on and the battery was fine. LOL It's fully charged? Has anyone else experienced that? And IS there something (forgive my non-techiness) in the Handcent app that could cause a battery drain? I checked the "battery use" in my settings and it didn't show anything unusual. I use my phone for mostly texting, light email use, occasional phone calls (I have 2 phones) and of course apps/web browsing.

tu3218

Reaction score
yeah thats weird I just downloaded handcent yesterday and last night I was at a party barely using my phone and it died. Now this is probably just a coincidence, I'm not sure lol. I'm thinking we left something running. Who knows though.

OP
D

DebDroid

Reaction score
I guess next time, you can try turning it off and then back on to see if the battery comes back as before? LOL Mine is all charged up again.

Cleopatra

Reaction score
I never downloaded Handcent, but I have this same problem. Then when I go to charge it, it charges in 2 minutes. Because apparently it is not really drained. It is very strange. I will try the turn off trick next time; see if that works.

Retribution

Reaction score
Battery meters on phones arent perfect, they basically just measure the voltage of the battery and give it to you as a percentage.If you have never allowed the battery to complete die over time the meter starts to become innacurate. Not to say you should constantly drain your battery to dead as this can shorten the battery life of lithium ion battery but the complete drain of a battery can "recalibrate" the battery meter.

TekHawk

Reaction score
yeah thats weird I just downloaded handcent yesterday and last night I was at a party barely using my phone and it died. Now this is probably just a coincidence, I'm not sure lol. I'm thinking we left something running. Who knows though.

you might have had handcent popup reply turn your screen on in your pocket and something touching the screen enough to keep it from sleeping again just a guess

doug piston

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
had it happen to me once. like said before turned it off and then back on and all is good. im used to the storm and all this lil bugs. turn off batt oull and see if it fixes it. just used to it i guess

lauriep

Reaction score
The same thing happened to me today, and I don't have Handcent. One minute I was at 70% and the next I had the red warning battery. I was in my car, so plugged it in immediately and within one minute, I was at 60%. Very strange!

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
The other day I too had a huge sudden battery drop. I brought my Droid to the charger and I too was surprised that it was fully charged. I'll try turning it off too if it happens again.

I thought this was another battery complaint thread. Glad I gave it a look.

Lafond

Reaction score
Happened to me for the first time this morning and I've had mine since launch day. Glad a simple reset fixed it, but I don't want this to be a common occurance.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Happened to me for the first time this morning and I've had mine since launch day. Glad a simple reset fixed it, but I don't want this to be a common occurance.

Neither do I, and I don't think the majority of people are having this issue. I will say if it is a "common occurrence" don't let it bother you too much. If you do then I will have to take away your Droid and stick you with a Blackberry Storm for 2 weeks so you can see how these type of "common occurrences" are almost normal.:D And put it in perspective. Once a month, no big deal once a week, annoying, twice a week then you got a major gripe.

So far it's happened to me once in 3 weeks time.

Hannahbalistic

Reaction score
I have had the very same problem twice now. Suddenly a fully charged batter is displayed as low.
I don't have any of the apps you were talking about, and as everyone else did I checked battery usage and all that.
Plugged it in and it said it was at 60 percent.

Seems like nothing other than a display error. Hopefully it doesn't start happening often.