Storm2

Discussion in 'Non-Android Smart Phones' started by danDroid, Oct 25, 2009.

1. New2u

New2u DF Super Moderator

Yeah but they were allowing those who bought the original a discounted price to buy the storm 2 also. The people who has the storm got an email stating such. So They did do a small amount to help them out, albeit not much. Though it wasn't verizon that came out with the update it was RIMM. The reason to get the new storm is because the virtual keyboard and screen are night and day also. The storm 2 has a much better screen and feedback response, with a few other upgrades that I myself would get the new storm for if i had the old one.
  2. cereal killer

cereal killer DF Administrator Staff Member

you are correct. I have been a loyal RIM customer for years and I am going to be leaving because of this very reason. The java based OS is stale and outdated. Everybody is excited about 5.0 but I can tell you that it is basically more of the same. The threaded SMS is it's greatest feature. Why would I stay for threaded SMS : )
  3. New2u

New2u DF Super Moderator

Unfortinately it's not just RIMM, it's also MS. While winmo 6.5 is indeed a lot better of an OS then priors, it still is not "great" it's just decent. While the others are charging ahead, other companies seem to be standing still not knowing what to do.
  4. MrWest45

MrWest45 New Member

I just wanted to let you know that they did NOT give a discount for previous storm1 owners.. I was there on day 1 for the Storm1. I have my fourth Storm1 in hand now. The updated OS is still buggy/laggy in some aspects. I went to look at the Storm2 and its pretty nice but now I am gun shy with the whole BB scene. I hate having to do a battery pull just to make a phone function. I am gonna try the Droid for my 30 day trial. (I believe I will fall in love) but if it don't I will check the storm 2 forums to get a general feel. by then a lot of the bugs should at least be known. RIM's OS does seem like it is constantly in beta. I don't mind updates but found myself looking for the next leak just in hope that the phone worked better so my friends with the icrap didn't make fun.
  5. New2u

New2u DF Super Moderator

I may be wrong about "everyone" then but I have seen an official email from verizon itself to certain people letting them upgrade to the new storm at a discounted price. I do not know all the details, i figured since i had heard it from more then 2 or 3 that it most likely went to all those who got the craptastic 1st gen.
  6. MrWest45

MrWest45 New Member

DAMN IT Verizon, lol I brought my whole Company over to them (Government entity) from Sprint and no love.. lol JJ I know I am very small fish in the big pond.. I did try to ask CS and a rep at a corporate store for a little kick back but nothing for me. so my apologies, I was just going off my experience. Well at least some people got a little kick back. Sad thing is I was an advocate for RIM and the Storm1 telling everyone "oh, ya it will get better once they update the OS, there are leaks all the time"..lol
  7. New2u

New2u DF Super Moderator

It may only be a small portion of them that did.. IDK who got the emails and the criteria for getting them.
  8. Mongoose

Mongoose New Member

This is an interesting thread. Wish I had seen it sooner.

I currently have a Storm 1. It isn't upgraded to OS 5.0 for the simple reason that it is fast and accurate now. As far as battery pulls and the people that are still doing that...I feel bad for you. I have pulled my battery ONLY when I upgraded some version or another. The trick is a little program called QuickPull...it's on Crackberry. Get it...set it for 0500 and never pull your battery again. As far as the keyboard...I get about 20 - 30 emails a day and I have a daughter intent on breaking the texting record for the universe...the BB tracks 'em and keeps 'em and I have gotten so used to the keyboard that responding is a snap. Its bluetooth connectivity is superb with all 4 of my vehicles...and my boat...and it works in Mexico and Canada.

The Storm has always performed well for me and thousands of others out there. It was rated very well by Infosync for a reason and at one point was rated higher than the Apple iPhones.

Now..the Droid is new and I am giving it a serious look because I'm one of those guys that digs new technology...and the Android OS seems pretty cool. The Droid doesn't speed dial, it has some kind of funky little keyboard and you must have a childs fingers to operate it comfortably, it seems to require several battery pulls, the battery life is poor...hmmm...I thought I read ALL that stuff when I got my Storm. Coincidental I guess...

I guess what I'm saying is if you want it ... get it...but if you think it's going to be perfect..good luck. Personally, I think that if you are one of those folks thats gotta bash the technology then it won't be long until you are bashing the Droid also...my approach is to take it and MAKE it work for me by adding/subtracting programs that I use and think it may need. I have never had a phone that didn't work out pretty well using that approach. VzN is making me a deal on the Droid so I'm going to get one. Then we shall see...I suspect it will work but that speed dial thing is a tough one to lose.

Ranting....sorry ! But's it's a phone...not a darn PC. Oh...and I never got ANY emails about a discount for a S-2. :icon_ devil:
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2009
  9. mth04

mth04 Premium Member Premium Member

First thing to remeber is Quick Pull shouldn't be necessary AT ALL. I had a storm. My GF still has a Storm. The comparison isn't even close, but i'm glad it works for you
  10. Mongoose

Mongoose New Member

Miami...you are funny and you are absolutely right !! But, as you say in your signature "It is what it is" ...so I guess it's a question of wanting to take the time to download and install an OTA app in about 2 minutes and not sweating the battery pull issue...or pulling the battery every day and getting pissed off about it. I downloaded the app because it makes so much sense and it's so easy. I also identified the issue on the Crackberry forums before I ever experienced it with my Storm and took action so that I wouldn't have to experience it. Seems there are quite a few Droid folks pulling batteries also. Hopefully something like QuickPull will be available for them....although I suspect that a great many problems that surface from these phones are user defined and created rather than the phone itself. When I have both phones sitting side by side and configured to my requirements then I'll make my final decision. Who knows...maybe I'll keep both of 'em...

BTW - battery pulls, email syncing issues, the camera (ugly), freezing up, the keyboard and poor battery life seem to be the big complaints so far. Haven't seen many solutions but I suspect they will be coming as folks get more proficient in it's use. Good luck. I'll keep researching and looking at what folks are saying...seems like a pretty good phone though. :icon_ devil:
  11. RinTinTigger

RinTinTigger Premium Member Premium Member

Well i would love the Storm 2 BUT:

- still has click-display
    - has very buggy OS5
    - Still has real poor battery

So that r 3 Points what make me believe its not a phone i can rely on. Still would have loosen click, dropped calls and sms.

NO WAY!

Cant wait for My Milestone!
  12. mth04

mth04 Premium Member Premium Member

The S2 is a decent device. I'm not knocking it. The thing is RIMM didn't do enough to make it a upgrade or justified the fee. I haad an S1 and GF still hasthe S1. IMHO the S1 feels better then the S2. Yes I have had the S2 in my hand also. RIMM does push email well. Thier browser is weak, and after having SO maky issues with the S1. They screw up the S2 with a OS that has to be upgraded the day after release. That should have been done LONG before release. Also I know a guy who is on his 4th yes 4th S2 already. # replacements all due to hardware failure. The extra memory is nice and all. Maybe when S3 comes nesxt year. RIMM will get it just right.

As far as preparing for the S1 issues. I agree with you. I worked around the device's problems. I used my S1 heavy every day as I do my Droid. Only I havent had to pull the battery on the Droid yet :). My screen is MUCH MUCH nicer and I have the same memory available on it. I just downloaded Crackman's new V10 hybrid for the S1. This is to upgrade my GF's device. That's where the dissapointment comes in. I shouldn't have to tweak the OS toi make the S1 run correctly. I will be doing that again later this week. As I say (which you pointed out) I guess sometimes it's just what it is! Have a great day and enjoy both devices!
  13. Mongoose

Mongoose New Member

RIM is a not noted for "gadget" type phones and when they released the S1 with VzN, I thought it was a sort of desperation move on the part of VzN to re-capture some of the revenue they lost to AT&T from the iPhone. They took a "big name" device (BlackBerry) and touted it as an iPhone killer...NOT !!!. I honestly think that if it wasn't for AT&T, most of us on these forums would probably have an iPhone. It's a supergadget...no questions !

I like the S1...it does feel better than the S2 and in the area I live (Lakewood, WA) technology reigns supreme (Intel is down the street and Microsoft is up the street so to speak) and we abound with gadget freaks. I am one of them...wish I had a few bucks for every cell phone I've had...anyway, the S1 sales skyrocketed but shortly afterwards, customer satisfaction plumetted. I think I am one of the few who can honestly say that have been delighted with their S1 experience. As far as the Droid goes, I have decided to wait until about X-mas time to get my Droid. I want to keep checking this forum and see what issues crop up and I want to see if the Dec 11 OS patch fixes/creates any bugs. Guess I'll just "lurk" until then...if I can restrain myself. LOL...Have a great day.:icon_ devil:
  14. RinTinTigger

RinTinTigger Premium Member Premium Member

Whatever RIM is noted for, moongoose, they are supposed to release a smartphone that you can rely on, and that is absolutely NOT given. Al lot of my friends got emselves the S2 by now, they r happy, but i guess that only leasts as long as you still "play" with the device. As soon as you are using the S2 as a reliable mobile office like RIM wants it to, you are screwed.

Dont get me wrong, for business uses, the blackberrys are irreplacable.I have a bold and the curve 8900 for coorperate usage. NEVER give em away. But for privat use.....for a little eyecandy combined with reliability and functionality...s2 sucks!
  15. Mongoose

Mongoose New Member

I guess everyone has their own opinion. Somehow I don't think that I have the only BB Storm in the entire universe that works perfectly. I actually know a few others that are real happy with theirs also. Having said that...I also know that there are far more people who were let down by VzN, RIM and the Storm in general. I think a lot has to do with location. I know that there are a couple of state agencies where I live that have contracted with VzN and are using the Storm with superior results.

My point is simply that despite all the bashing, there are a number of satisfied Storm users who are quite happy and will not bash RIM or VzN for their efforts to satisfy the public. My personal opinion is that if one doesn't like it then give it back...life's to short to spend it dealing with a ton of negativity...move on to something that "satisfies" (although serial bashers will NEVER find perfection...LOL)

As far as click screens...I like it and have had no problems adapting to it...but then I have a mind open to different experiences and the ability to adapt. The buggy OS that you mention works flawlessly on my phone and my battery lasts 2 days (but I do use QuickPull...)

If I wasn't a toy freak I'd call it good...but the Droid is looming on my Horizon and I'm starting to think I won't wait until the 12/11/09 release because I may want to compare the before and after and do that within the 30 day window that VzN will allow for returns. If I split it down the middle that makes my purchase date around Nov 25. I'm looking forward to the side by side comparison.:icon_ devil:
  16. easyrun99

easyrun99 New Member

Ok, I'm an idiot...I bought the Droid, was a little irritated that Yahoo wouldn't "push" and that I had to download a 3rd party app for my exchange email, when my old iPhone did both out of the box.

Sooo, I went to Best Buy and exchanged it for a Storm 2...now I want to go back to the Droid...I'm embarassed to exchange the phone again, but the Storm is slow and the keyboard is very difficult (why have a touch screen if you still have to "push" it)...

Decisions, decisions...
  17. Martin030908

Martin030908 DF Super Moderator

Had the BB Storm 1 for a year, never had to exchange due to any issues. OS 5.0 was an EPIC FAIL, and thus why I left BB.

Storm 2 is a repackaged Storm 1 with some more memory. I'm not knocking it, if it's your taste, then so be it and enjoy! But for me... RIM dropped the ball big time.
  18. Corinacakes

Corinacakes DF Super Moderator Theme Developer

LmAo just go change it or the first thing you said in yur post will be true lol DROID!!
  19. easyrun99

easyrun99 New Member

Took it back this morning and exchanged it for the Droid...in fact I'm posting with it now...
  20. Corinacakes

Corinacakes DF Super Moderator Theme Developer

yeehaw!! now just get the swype keyboard and you'll be in heaven! welcome back to droid.