Storm2

Discussion in 'Non-Android Smart Phones' started by danDroid, Oct 25, 2009.

1. Droid

Droid New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    The first storm wasn't a "pile of junk" It just didn't match up to the iphone 3g. If you remember, the first iphone was far worse bug wise than the first storm.

2. moparharn

moparharn Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I understand what you mean, but "my" phone was a pile

of junk. In the first 30 days of ownership my phone would shut off and reprogram itself no less than three times a day. Each time this happened it would have me down for 5-10 minutes and often when I was in the middle of something. I could not type a complete sentence in either portrait or landscape mode without there being several errors. It was slow and very problematic. I returned it and left for ATT. I liked Verizon then and I like them now. I look forward to returning if they can give me the best phone.

3. New2u

New2u DF Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +64
    Well while a lot of people did have good times with the storm, apparently there were QUITE a few of them phones that just had major glitches in the software packages. Usually once reloaded with the proper FW it wasn't an issue. But yes most people seem to forget that the iphone 1st gen was ... f'ing terrible. The storm2 even though it's coming out unpressed by media, seems to have quite a good review on all fronts. They added WiFi to it and that was a lot of peoples gripes with it. The slowness and glitchy features were all fixed with the new OS revision. So i think it will still be a decent phone but not sure how many people are going to want to go to it. esp since the droid is now here.

4. gnxtra87

gnxtra87 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Storm 2 came out today and the droid will on the 6th of november!

5. JohnDroid

JohnDroid Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Verizon has not really even pushed the Storm2, they've really been just pushing Droid stuff. My guess is they have smaller subsidies on Droid vs. Blackberry (and potentially the iPhone in the future) and thusly would like to see the Android/Droid combination prosper.

Time to short RIM as well as PALM now ;)

6. New2u

New2u DF Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +64
    what's funny is that the new storm 2 was part of their buy one get one deals. Which many didn't know because verizon didn't say anything about it.

7. Sam

Sam Premium Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1
    i got to play with the storm 2 for a good while today. it is snappy, for sure. i talked to a friend at work with an original storm who did the update, and he said it "completely validated my (his) purchase".. he said the difference was night and day. i think its a bit silly that they released the update for the original storm on the same day that the storm 2 came out... seems like that might kill the sales a bit from loyal storm-users who wanted to upgrade..

8. JohnDroid

JohnDroid Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    You could look at it as that Verizon did the right thing for the customers who already ponied up the dough too :)

9. New2u

New2u DF Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +64
    Yeah but they were allowing those who bought the original a discounted price to buy the storm 2 also. The people who has the storm got an email stating such. So They did do a small amount to help them out, albeit not much. Though it wasn't verizon that came out with the update it was RIMM. The reason to get the new storm is because the virtual keyboard and screen are night and day also. The storm 2 has a much better screen and feedback response, with a few other upgrades that I myself would get the new storm for if i had the old one.

10. cereal killer

cereal killer DF Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +1,461
    Current Phone Model:
    Nokia Lumia Icon
    you are correct. I have been a loyal RIM customer for years and I am going to be leaving because of this very reason. The java based OS is stale and outdated. Everybody is excited about 5.0 but I can tell you that it is basically more of the same. The threaded SMS is it's greatest feature. Why would I stay for threaded SMS : )

11. New2u

New2u DF Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +64
    Unfortinately it's not just RIMM, it's also MS. While winmo 6.5 is indeed a lot better of an OS then priors, it still is not "great" it's just decent. While the others are charging ahead, other companies seem to be standing still not knowing what to do.

12. MrWest45

MrWest45 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I just wanted to let you know that they did NOT give a discount for previous storm1 owners.. I was there on day 1 for the Storm1. I have my fourth Storm1 in hand now. The updated OS is still buggy/laggy in some aspects. I went to look at the Storm2 and its pretty nice but now I am gun shy with the whole BB scene. I hate having to do a battery pull just to make a phone function. I am gonna try the Droid for my 30 day trial. (I believe I will fall in love) but if it don't I will check the storm 2 forums to get a general feel. by then a lot of the bugs should at least be known. RIM's OS does seem like it is constantly in beta. I don't mind updates but found myself looking for the next leak just in hope that the phone worked better so my friends with the icrap didn't make fun.