Storm2

Discussion in 'Non-Android Smart Phones' started by danDroid, Oct 25, 2009.

1. danDroid

danDroid DF Administrator Staff Member

So the Black Berry Storm 2 will be released the same day as the Motorola Droid. Do you think that will have any impact on droid sales? I've only used the storm a few times and thought it was the total piece of crap. Looking at the review on the storm2, it doesn't look half bad.

2. JohnDroid

JohnDroid Guest

I had the Storm for less then a day. Could not stand it. The OS was slow, the on screen keyboard was crap. The only thing it had going for it over the other blackberry's was the screen size and quality. Since there was no keyboard, the screen was much larger.
  3. danDroid

Haha, so you were one of those RIMMtards :)

4. JohnDroid

JohnDroid Guest

I guess so. I have had the following phones: 8830 World, 2 Curves, and now the Tour.
  5. New2u

New2u DF Super Moderator

I don't think it will impact the sales of droid much at all, i think in respect it will be the other way around. I think the sales of droid will impact that of Rimm. Rimm was trying to market their storm / storm 2 to appeal to more of the casual users, which they have done a poor job of doing. Their OS was not for the casual user.

The storm 2 has gotten great reviews from everyone i've heard from. The OS is FAR superior to that of the storm gen 1. The OS revision change has fixed a lot of the issues that users had with them. The only problem is that, reading from another article and completely agreeing with, is that companies don't want to have to support a BES enterprise anymore. I know from personal experience that BES is very annoying and tedious and very costly to keep up and running. While the Rimm / BB / Storm have made great strides, i think if they don't start coming out with a better OS and soon they a lot are going to start heading elsewhere.
  6. JohnDroid

JohnDroid Guest

I've used tons of BB email and never used BES. The simple mail forwarding suits my purposes perfectly.
  7. Sam

Sam Premium Member Premium Member

i agreed, the BB does exactly what i want it to.. i really love it, honestly. but like someone said in a different thread, its getting slower. too much bloat or can't handle the apps, either way its annoying. i love my bb but i'm getting sick of the little things, like daily battery pulls and slow browser.. its just time to move on. and while the storm 2 might be really really awesome, i'm just a little disenchanted by the whole experience lately.
  8. danDroid

I just think Black Berry has lost their edge now, most of their phones seem dated and their products rushed. I bet the guys that work there are under extreme pressure to get something out, even if it isn't ready. Reminds me of software that remains beta forever.
  9. New2u

New2u DF Super Moderator

I deff agree with the rushing out things, but really too many companies do that now adays. Microsoft does, BB, i think apple did with the first iphone (if given another month or 2 would have been alot better). They give into demand too much. They would much rather see a shitty piece of technology go out then keep it another month or 2 and make it 100 times better.
  10. Droid

Droid New Member

The Storm 2 releases today actually! I believe Verizon is downplaying it to avoid reminding people of the missteps of the first storm. Blackberrys have lost their luster with average consumers. In the business realm, the Blackberry is rolling on.
  11. New2u

New2u DF Super Moderator

Yeah when researching the storm2 they said the release date was going to be before that of the others. They don't want any downplay of their new flagship phone.
  12. moparharn

moparharn New Member

I left Verizon after 20 or swo years because the Storm

was such a pile of junk. I wanted the Bold instead and went to ATT to get it. Now I want a phone with a bigger screen and thought I would go get the Iphone. The Droid has got me thinking that I will pay the early termination fee and go back home to Verizon. My co-worker just loaded the 5.0 software into his Storm 1 and it has made a HUGE difference. I may lay in the weeds for a while to see if the Droid is bug free, and see if Storm 2 is better than I think it will be. Having a Qwerty keyboard may be the deciding factor that only the Droid can offer.
  13. Droid

Droid New Member

The first storm wasn't a "pile of junk" It just didn't match up to the iphone 3g. If you remember, the first iphone was far worse bug wise than the first storm.
  14. moparharn

moparharn New Member

I understand what you mean, but "my" phone was a pile

of junk. In the first 30 days of ownership my phone would shut off and reprogram itself no less than three times a day. Each time this happened it would have me down for 5-10 minutes and often when I was in the middle of something. I could not type a complete sentence in either portrait or landscape mode without there being several errors. It was slow and very problematic. I returned it and left for ATT. I liked Verizon then and I like them now. I look forward to returning if they can give me the best phone.
  15. New2u

New2u DF Super Moderator

Well while a lot of people did have good times with the storm, apparently there were QUITE a few of them phones that just had major glitches in the software packages. Usually once reloaded with the proper FW it wasn't an issue. But yes most people seem to forget that the iphone 1st gen was ... f'ing terrible. The storm2 even though it's coming out unpressed by media, seems to have quite a good review on all fronts. They added WiFi to it and that was a lot of peoples gripes with it. The slowness and glitchy features were all fixed with the new OS revision. So i think it will still be a decent phone but not sure how many people are going to want to go to it. esp since the droid is now here.
  16. gnxtra87

gnxtra87 New Member

Storm 2 came out today and the droid will on the 6th of november!
  17. JohnDroid

JohnDroid Guest

Verizon has not really even pushed the Storm2, they've really been just pushing Droid stuff. My guess is they have smaller subsidies on Droid vs. Blackberry (and potentially the iPhone in the future) and thusly would like to see the Android/Droid combination prosper.

Time to short RIM as well as PALM now ;)
  18. New2u

New2u DF Super Moderator

what's funny is that the new storm 2 was part of their buy one get one deals. Which many didn't know because verizon didn't say anything about it.
  19. Sam

Sam Premium Member Premium Member

i got to play with the storm 2 for a good while today. it is snappy, for sure. i talked to a friend at work with an original storm who did the update, and he said it "completely validated my (his) purchase".. he said the difference was night and day. i think its a bit silly that they released the update for the original storm on the same day that the storm 2 came out... seems like that might kill the sales a bit from loyal storm-users who wanted to upgrade..
  20. JohnDroid

JohnDroid Guest

You could look at it as that Verizon did the right thing for the customers who already ponied up the dough too :)