storm vs droid

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by dustin4863, Nov 8, 2009.

1. dustin4863

dustin4863 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    what do you mean boot time the longest i had to wait was when i loaded a new os other than that its lighting for me

2. texasPI

texasPI Member

Ratings:
    +0
    My storm took 5-6 mins to boot up after a battery pull or quickpull. I was running .148 and later was running .151. Didnt make a difference. I never tried the hybrids or shrink os.

3. flako3

flako3 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    yup yup but like i said im in love with droid so i am def switching from storm to droid :) besides the appstore is much btter and cheaper 2... :) let me know what you do...

4. dustin4863

dustin4863 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    well just picked it up and love it

5. ToddP0530

ToddP0530 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    It's is like comparing a sleek sports car (Droid) to a clunker (Storm). I tried to love the Storm. I worked on it. I loaded leaked OS. I shrink-a-os. There is no comparison. Would you rather have a headache or a stress free day?

6. atomicwedgie

atomicwedgie Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I LOVE my Droid but... there are things my Storm did better.

Video... played smooth as silk on the Storm. On the Droid it often pauses and sometimes my bluetooth headphones lag with the onscreen video.

Profiles... I could have an individual sound/volume for calls AND SMS per person.

Surepress... I know I am in the minority but I grew to like it.

Waking it up... I HATE this little teeny power button I have to find to wake up the Droid. On the Storm, all I had to do was hit the screen

Dedicated phone buttons... There are none on the Droid so you have to look at the screen to dial. Also the Storm had a dedicated voice dial button.

I am not looking to go back to my Storm but I thought it fair to mention good points about the Storm.

7. flako3

flako3 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Dustin you got the droid??? :)

8. jbjtkbw00

jbjtkbw00 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    He did quite well. Some others are:

Thinner than the Storm.

Native Exchange support and not having to use BES/BIS. If you don't have BES, then you have to get 3rd party support for Exchange, and the offerings are slim and pitiful. I was using Astro Sync and it was just an awful experience.

I've been pummeling this phone, and the battery is doing much better than my Storm ever did. No lie.

Multimedia dock better than the Storm dock. When the Droid is placed in the dock, I get more than the clock the Storm offers. I get weather, alarm, dimmer, and more all on the screen.

Speaker is SUCH an improvement over the Storm.

Bluetooth performance is so much better. The Storm would give me that breakup in transmission if I had the phone on one side of my body and the earpiece on the opposite ear. No such thing with the Droid. Plus clarity is much better. I have it paired with a Plantronics Voyager Pro, so I'm using a quality headset to judge this by (used on both).

3 home screens. 3. and all customizable. Sure, there are themes on the Storm, but out the box, no themes needed to get this customization.

Widgets. Who doesn't like widgets?!?!

I'll stop for now, but this is after having it for only 48 hours. I'm sure I can find more. Now, there are a few things the Storm does that I don't have on the Droid such as Facebook notifications, which is something I'm sure will improve. Not worried about that one bit. This phone is brand spanking new. It will improve by leaps and bounds in a much shorter time I believe than the iPhone has. As I stated in another posting, I can't put it down and I just want to keep learning about it. No quirks and no issues. this thing is beautiful.:icon_ banana:

9. dustin4863

dustin4863 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yep picked it up about 3 o'clock and love it. :icon_ banana:

10. kansas city Mac

kansas city Mac New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    i loved the storm until i picked up the droid

11. dustin4863

dustin4863 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I still love my storm but thus thing is wicked

12. BzB

BzB Member

Ratings:
    +1
    posted the below over at crackberry, figured i'd post it here to as it's relevant...

former storm 2 and storm 1 user here. got the droid friday morning and use it for work and personal about 50/50. here's my 2.5 day take on storm 2 vs droid.

things that stand out to me:

-the native email client on the droid is not good at all compared to the blackberry. however, the touchdown email client for the droid fixed this. it does push email using active sync just like the native email client, but it has better features and is more on par with a true business class email client. syncs calendar, contacts, tasks, sent items, and selected folders just fine.
    only thing it's missing is being able to sync notes from your outlook which is minor.

-typing on the droid takes some adjustment. i find that i've been using the virtual keyboard in both landscape and portrait about 80% of the time over the physical keyboard, probably because i'm used to an onscreen keyboard from using the storm 2. i'm almost as good on the droid keyboard as i was on the storm 2. the predictive text engine works very well, so i've learned to let it do it's thing as i get better with the virtual keyboard instead of trying to correct minor errors.

-the physical keyboard could be better, but i don't use it much (yet) anyway. fully comfortable and satisfied with the virtual keyboards. having the option of the physical keyboard with a slimmer profile than the storm 2, and the added functionality of the d pad in some situations and applications is nice to have though.

-the camera has actually worked very well for me. maybe i'm lucky or something, or moto tweaked/fixed something right before they released it, but i had low expectations after some of the reviews. good to see that it's pretty good so far and takes better pictures than the storm 2.

-the native media related features could be better, but it's passable and gets the job done. nothing 3rd party apps won't soon improve upon.

the storm 2 is still a good phone in it's own right if you have to have a touchscreen blackberry. if you're not a blackberry loyalist then the droid is a better overall smart phone imo. the speed/stability of the os, the apps, the browser, the screen, on and on. using android 2.0 on the moto compared to os 5 on the storm 2 is a revelation. this phone feels like it can do anything i throw at it, conversely with the storm 2 i was still kind of tip toeing around the os, babying it, and waiting for it to catch up with me in a lot of cases.

with the os enhancements/improvements on the way and with the 3rd party support for android 2.0 brewing, this is one of the top two touchscreen phones right now. it might take a few days of use to see it, but it is really that good. very happy with the droid.